Mandriva 2009.1 is out!

yossarian

For anyone new to Mandriva I have written up a short summary explaining the differences between the various ISO images available, to make the choice of the right one easier.

There is also a screen shot of a default Mandriva 2009.1 KDE4 desktop.

Here is the link:

http://www.linuxtech.net/news/mandriva_lin...ing_is_out.html

But it doesn't look like there's a KDE3 option at all! :unsure:

So either it's an upgrade and a switch to KDE4.2, or it's an upgrade and a switch to another desktop, or stick with 2008.1 and stick with KDE 3...

But support for 2008.1 runs out in October, apparently.

But it doesn't look like there's a KDE3 option at all! :unsure:

So either it's an upgrade and a switch to KDE4.2, or it's an upgrade and a switch to another desktop, or stick with 2008.1 and stick with KDE 3...

But support for 2008.1 runs out in October, apparently.

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.1_Notes#U...evious_releases

Jim

Hello!

Lots of new faces here, but I do remember Neddie and Dexter.

I returned here because of this (I have to have KDE 4.2 and Mandriva is the first distro that has it). Currently running Ubuntu 9.4 for a few days (before OpenSUSE 11.1) but it's not really my thing. I hope I will fare better with Mandriva Spring 2009.1 ; back to my roots! (I still remember installing Mandrake 9.0).

Will I miss out on many packages if I pick Mandriva One instead of the 'full' DVD?

And how is your experience with Mandriva?

Darkelve

Edited by Darkelve

I'm so happy with my 2009 install, I will wait to see how everyones 2009 spring goes. I updated kde to 4.2.1, its not perfect, but still great. I expect the KDE4.2.2 with 2009.1 to be better again. I like the idea of the refreshed security centre.

Looking forward to hearing about everyones new OS!

I've just VM'ed it in the latest VMWare WS. Fresh installation from the "boot" netinstall ISO. I installed XFCE4, with a minimal set of apps.

It's so much snappier and faster than Xubuntu 9.04, that the hype about the latter should be considered a placebo effect rather than a mere hype...

Plus- Xubuntu has some rather serious issues with ext4 and the default kernel (2.6.28.11). On Mandy everything is running perfectly well.

I had to patch vmware to build the modules needed for kernel 2.6.29, but actually this is no surprise- I've done the same in my host as well (also running 2.6.29).

So far the only thing that annoys me is urpmi (frontend) which is still as crappy as it has always been- but everything else is really great. Thumbs up from me.

EVEN WITH A NEW 2009.1 INSTALL YOU CAN STILL HAVE KDE3!!

I'm in love with Mandy 2009 Spring, they have still included KDE 3.5.10, and it appears fully functional!

This is what I did:

- installed Mandriva 2009.1 from the Free dual arch ISO with LXDE as desktop environment

- added all repositories (official and plf) with http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

- openend a root console

- typed: urpmi task-kde3

- after that, at the next login I had the choice of KDE at the gdm login screen and selecting this fired up the great beloved B) KDE 3.5.10 desktop!

Well done Mandriva, to listen to all those users like myself who asked for a KDE3 option in Mandriva 2009.1!

:thumbs::thanks:

My first impression of 2009.1 is, this release is even better than the great 2008.1!

Edited by tux99

I've just VM'ed it in the latest VMWare WS. Fresh installation from the "boot" netinstall ISO. I installed XFCE4, with a minimal set of apps.

It's so much snappier and faster than Xubuntu 9.04, that the hype about the latter should be considered a placebo effect rather than a mere hype...

Plus- Xubuntu has some rather serious issues with ext4 and the default kernel (2.6.28.11). On Mandy everything is running perfectly well.

I had to patch vmware to build the modules needed for kernel 2.6.29, but actually this is no surprise- I've done the same in my host as well (also running 2.6.29).

So far the only thing that annoys me is urpmi (frontend) which is still as crappy as it has always been- but everything else is really great. Thumbs up from me.

All variants of ubuntu always run considerably slower than mdv for me but than again ubuntu runs much faster than opensuse...intrepid ibex was so painfully slow though that I really didnt use it at all...

Edited by ffi

Just a little correction: the current kde3 packages are entirely community work. Mandriva doesn't have the resources to do them. So a user called Neoclust stepped up and made them. They have no official support whatsoever and will be dropped from 2010.

Neoclust makes all mdv kde packages anyway, has been for years.