Ubuntu info

jlc

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:banana::banana::banana:

Just installed ubunu 5.04, it's awesome. Alot of annoying stuff have been fixed from 4.10 to 5.04.

Hats off!

The only negative thing is you can't configure the menu-bar...well yes you can if you know how to write/change .desktop files and I don't :P. I even tried two alpha released bar editor but the messed up my menu-bar big time.

Other than that it works with big satifaction!!! :banana:

I've tried Ubuntu for 2 times, both times returned to Mandrake. Mostly because I prefer MCC and also because of 'root'. Oh, I know, I had enabled it on Ubuntu, but it causes some problems.

After trying MDK 10.2 rc2 I've returned to my trusty MDK 10.1 with a fresh KDE-3.4 and Gimp-2.2 installation. :headbang:

Mandrake just works for me :cheeky:

Edited by solarian

sounds strange. i never had any mayor troubles since updating to the hoary test version. uh... and i stripped down my mandrake to a minimal system with rox on top of it. no gnome, no kde but one of the really minimal solutions that speeds up mandrake. :)

I've tried Ubuntu for 2 times, both times returned to Mandrake. Mostly because I prefer MCC and also because of 'root'. Oh, I know, I had enabled it on Ubuntu, but it causes some problems.

After trying MDK 10.2 rc2 I've returned to my trusty MDK 10.1 with a fresh KDE-3.4 and Gimp-2.2 installation.  :headbang:

Mandrake just works for me  :cheeky:

Well I hate the MCC but the root thing is annoying :wall:

Using KDE (not kubuntu but added via apt) sometimes it want's your password and sometimes root's .. grrr. but otherwise it realy rocks,.

Just did a fresh install of Ubuntu Hoary on my laptop. I was way to lazy to go upstairs by the router and grab a cat5 cable to plugin for the install. ( To pull some of the packages from the net). So just for poops and giggles I threw in the cd and wanted to see what would happen with the wireless. Well to my surprise the install detected the wireless and set it up and I didn't even need to have a cat5 cable connect on initial install. I thought that was really cool!!!!

I'm extremely mad at both ubuntu and my self. I had warty running fine, and decided to update to Hoary through the net upgrade. It just fscked my computer up. Very very bad. First of all they said that the install will not delete anything, like my files and stuff. Well they were wrong, it deleted a website that I was working so hard at in /var/www/apache-default, it also removed my limewire. A ton of packaged INCLUDING the kernel where not upgraded.

I've been so happy with having ubuntu because it was/is very easy, but like someone mentioned that ubuntu is still a very buggy distro, and I think it paid off to me. This has been my worst Linux experience ever. As a warning to some of you, back you stuff up before you upgrade, because not even the developers know what ubuntu will do. I will try Hoary, from a cd install, which I don't have because gnome has NO cd burning program that compares to k3b.

When i install Ubuntu again, which I'm hoping I do today by installing windows, downloading ubuntu and then burning it from windows, since it's the only OS that I can rely to actually work perfectly. I will install KDE.

Also ac_dispatcher, since we both have the same laptop I've too noticed that ubuntu hogs up a lot of the memory. And mepis seems to be doing the best job on our laptops, I might take that into consideration and install it. For now ubuntu is great, and it will get better. But they need to work out some of their issues with upgrading. I would like ubuntu to me more like mandrakes upgrading, that you can pop in the hoary cd and it gives you the option to boot, instead of having to go through synaptics and all those complicated commands that they gave me in #ubuntu.

The most annying of couse was the " not upgrading of the kernel ". If the kernel was not upgraded ( and it's one of the most vital parts of the OS ) then who really knows what other programs weren't? For exmple I know for a fact that ' gtkpod ' which I use for my iPod was not updated. Which didn't piss me off, but like I said the kernel did.

I don't eve know what to say anymore , I like ubuntu but at the same time I freaking hate it. I really do, like I would like to burn it down right now. GNOME needs some better burning programs like k3b. gnomebaking just hands down sucked ass. Couln't even get the right speed to write the cd's at. even with the defaults.

so for me tonight it's going to be Ubuntu + KDE = Happy Me! :lol2:

Edited by Jet2k5

I'm extremely mad at both ubuntu and my self.  I had warty running fine, and decided to update to Hoary through the net upgrade.  It just fscked my computer up.  Very very bad.  First of all they said that the install will not delete anything, like my files and stuff.  Well they were wrong, it deleted a website that I was working so hard at in /var/www/apache-default, it also removed my limewire.  A ton of packaged INCLUDING the kernel where not upgraded....

erm

I just edited my /etc/apt/sourcves.list and replaced warty for hoary and .... apt-get dist-upgrade

seriously....simple (long sleep time)

then

apt-get install kdebase

then picked and chose in synaptec and full KDE system....

I installed Kubuntu again on a separate partition. Seemed OK (Xorg still hogs resources). I found out that if you add Debian testing+unstable your system may become hosed.

I did it cause its just for fun :lol:

If you install Kubuntu/Ubuntu stick with the ubuntu repos unless needed. Im sticking with Mepis.