Ubuntu info

jlc

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh boys... this is an ubuntu topic. the fedora post is another one... and if you need a debian one, go ahead and make one :D

almost 50% of the posts in here are not ubuntu related imho.

just my nonsense rant :beer:

Hrmm, didnt last long, I'm back in Arch again, Ubuntu began to shit me up the proverbial wall.

Two real things that drove me back. Firstly, my consoles on ctrl-alt-F1-6 werent enabled. I couldnt work out why, they were all setup correctly in /etc/inittab, i had the right runlevel and all.....

And secondly, X is 'broken'. No matter what I do, I simply cannot make it drop to a resolution lower than 1024x768. I copied my working Arch xorg.conf, and still no cigar, I removed all 1024x768 modes and replaced them with 640x480, it still refused to drop resolution. I tried using the GNOME tool, and xrandr, neither offered any other resolution. To make sure I was sane, I installed XFree and put my Arch Xorg config in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, and it worked perfectly. I googled my ass off, and searched the ubuntuforum forums, and found *nothing* that worked, I dpkg-reconfigure'd Xorg about five times.

I want to drop to a resolution lower than 1024 because I run my gamesi n 640x480. Right now, when I play a game in it, the game only occupies 640x480 of the screen, with a hideous black border around it. Screen still in 1024.

Anyone got any ideas?

Edited by iphitus

• 2 weeks later...

As I read their forums a lot of people are starting to give up on Ubuntu. About 4 or so of the regular posters in the 64-bit section have quit. And then about another 20 joined them :). Ubuntu is loosing it's touch, or atleast on their 64-bit side. I should say the community is. There has been posts that are un answered for months. Which worries me, because I know I'm going to be having some issues when the time comes to get my com ....

If you like "Debian for Desktop" that much and don't mind a couple of broken packages then Sid via Kanotix is the way to go...

I have tried (K)Ubuntu 3 times in the past, but was put off by the very lofi quality of their Universe/Multiverse repos'packages, and the utterly nonsensical sudo thing. Enabling a root account is easy theoretically, but after doing so you discover LOTS of minor and major annoyances...

To sum up it's not for me... and if Arch Linux did not exist (fortunately enough it does!) I would use Sid.

Could be. What I didn't like in Ubuntu was that too much had already been decided for you.

And scarecrow has a very fine point about sudo/root.

Edited by solarian