Ubuntu info

jlc

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not me    :deal:

:lol: hehe, cybr... now that fedora works, i will not change it... but if ubuntu would have worked out of the box, i wouldn't have "lost" several hours trying to fix stuff that didn't work.

btw. i have fedora3 now since the very first day on some of my boxes and it is soooooo stable... i can't believe this (especially when thinking of fedora2. it was a nightmare for me). and: i still like the default look of it. haven't changed it since the first installation. :)

• 4 weeks later...

So what's so great about Ubuntu?

Goign throught this forum I see that apt-get is the thing, just like with any other Debian based distro, but it seems it be trailing in the availability of packages, this or that isn't working quite right, etc... Sounds like it suffers from the shrotcoming most brand new distros do.

Is it just a neat toy and exciting because it's the start of a new thing? or is it really *better* than a more mature distro like say mdk 10.1 or FC3? If so, how is is better and how is it worse?

I haven't found a compelling reason to try it yet for real. I tried the live CD but I'm stuck at a low screen resolution so that nothing fits right on the screen.

I moved to Mandrake 10.1. I always kind of slammed Mandrake because I thought is was "ugly". Kind of hard ot explain. Just on a whim because of some of the reasons you gave papaschtroumpf I decided to install 10.1 and those far have given up on Ubuntu. Its a fine distro, but some things just didn't work and some of the packages are lacking or outdated.

most livecd's allow something like

linux vga=791

ir similar in order to get a higher res.

me? at first, with warty (stable), I found it *better* because of it's advanced gnome desktop. Advanced because it had things that were nice that no other distro had.

now? no reason...I run hoary and it pretty much feels like mandrakes cooker. sometimes there's probs....but it's expected. In fact, because of the very nature of the advanced gnome desktop it can be quite anoying. I've heard it said that hoary is like running debian unstable but that is just not true. It is more unstable in terms of things being broken but that is because of the hacks they try to pull off in gnome....also expected.

I can't think of any pkgs that are outdated..that's a new one.

So, it's really only great if u r a serious gnomer :headbang:

Edited by bvc

So, it's really only great if u r a serious gnomer :headbang:

which I'm not (nothing against it. just picked KDE when I moved to Mdk from RedHat and sticking with it out of habit.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep an eye on that one but I'll let it mature a bit.

I do find that more and more distros tend to be pretty alike in day to day use (that's a good thing) although I think mdk and debian users are spoiled with urpmi and apt-get, and while I don't mind compiling from source, it's a lot faster to just use the installers, especially because of dependencies.

I guess I'm getting out of the "geekish toy" phase in my linux life and moving to a "let me just use the darn thing" mode.

well, here go my two cents:

ubuntu is not great. it is simply a good, reliable and relatively stable debian based gnome desktop that is enough for everyday work. there are still several things/bugs that keep it from being great. what is great is the policy of shipping cds fo free. :D

if you love compiling from source: have you tried the new vidalinux? basic gnome 2.8 desktop with gentoo repositories and emerge-tool. ;) and for joe average, there is still fedora3. i have only had two minor problems with it (both were fixed in five minutes) since the very first day it came out.... now if there would be a good inkscape package for fedora... :unsure:

and for joe average, there is still fedora3. i have only had two minor problems with it (both were fixed in five minutes) since the very first day it came out.... now if there would be a good inkscape package for fedora... :unsure:

Ouch, i've been demoted to joe average :o

:lol:

I'm a Ubuntu fanatic (and proud of it), sure there's some stuff outdated and such, but I'm done running through the bleeding edge. Used to much time on hunting down and tweaking and such. Now with Ubuntu I actually get some work done :banana:

And as bvc said Gnome on Ubuntu is amazing! You havn't tried Gnome if you havn't tried Ubuntu :D

.:=The AI Dude=:.

Ps. Mantra: Ubuntu, Ubuntu, Gnoooome. Ubuntu, Ubuntu, Gnooooome.... :cheesy:

me, too. look at my signature ;)

:P

To be honest, I think feodra is to cutting edge with features and some hardcore stuff that I wouldn't recommend it to joenoobie :D

as far as gnome, not much diff between ubuntu's gnome and fedora's, just the menu structure. Which Ubuntu devel have pushed upstream so we will see if that takes affect in other distro's.

Plus a lot of RH devel's are also on the Gnome team along with Ubuntu's devel's. So RH does a lot of upstream howto/patch/idea's

Just do a whois search on gnome.org and see who it comes back with:

InterNIC-whois-Gnome

And look what OS gnome.org is running on ;-)

server-info

http://planet.gnome.org/

http://fedora.linux.duke.edu/fedorapeople/

http://blogs.redhat.com/people/

http://planet.ubuntulinux.org/

Those are always fun to read!

talking about menu structure: the fedora-developers  still haven't added any menu-editor, right? i am waiting for this since a long, long time ago.

From what I have read, ubuntu has taken it out of gnome-vfs-2.0 in "hoary" too. Gnome-2.10 I believe will be implimenting something new. So we will see what happens. Fedora took it out because they felt it crashed to much or caused to many problems. I can't confirm that about hoary since i'm not using it, this is only what I read.