Ubuntu info

jlc

I found that amd64 port of Hoary overall runs like a dog and pretty much sucks, but thats just my opinion :D

Your welcome to it but how/why?

i have actually been considering it and I have hoary on my AMD32 and it runs SWEET.

I know you'll tell me FC3.... and Im thinking gentoo 2005 too.

Why it's dog slow I don't know, one thing is I had to install it 2x, the first time after the reboot and the internet/install/update software section, dpkg became just corrupt and no longer worked. I mean no longer could do anything with dpkg. With out dpkg, debian is kind of pointless :D

So anyway, installed the second time, install /updates went fine, but this is my own observation so keep that in mind, but I could tell and extreme ( a lot) slow down compared to fc3 and rawhide. It reminded me of Suse9.2 on amd64, both were so slow that I couldn't stand being on it.

The other part of debian/ubuntu that is aweful in 64 is "multilib" (doesn't have it) so for those products that don't have 64bit counter parts like flash, you actually have to create a 32bit chroot, just like gentoo was before there new 2005 release, which imho is HORRIBLE way of doing it.

IMHO if were comparing animals to amd64/linux ports

Rawhide = cheetah

FC3 = cheetah's slower cousin

Gentoo 2005 = can be a cheatah if you know what your doing and want to wast more of your life :P

Ubuntu = grayhound (running out of options)

SuSE = beached whale, just sounded funny :D

People can knock fedora all they want, but the majority of it is fud/hersay and all around crap. Comes from people that either don't use it, haven't used it in 2-3 releases, or just don't have a clue. Is Fedora a noobie distro, I wouldn't recommend it, but whatever. Is it bloated? Yeah, if you install everything and don't know how to do simple admin task like shutting down un-needed services. Does it supply mp3/nvidia support during install, um no, old argument, go read a license book.

/me having bad day at work so he is a little frusterated and........

Anyway, to sum it up, yes hoary64 was a dog on my box compared to Fedora Core 3 and Rawhide, no it wasn't on the backend of a hard drive, it was on it's own dedicated sata drive.

my box

amd64 3200+ (oc'd a little)

2GB of Corsair XMS Extreme Memory (oc'd)

Nvidia 6800GT 256MB (oc'd)

2x80GB SATA drives.

Basically its not considered a slow box :P

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this is the correct thing to do or not, but I found this at the Ubuntu forum. I don't want the author to go without any credit so this is the only way I could think of doing it.

Anyways here is a real nice script to install things after doing a install or if you want to automate installs of certain programs.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php...=install+script

hmmm......

Not sure if its related, but I've finally had some time to play around with my system since I've done that script. Not sure if it has anything to do with it or not, but man things just don't seem to be working right. Alot of stuff either doesn't work at all, locks up or crashes.

Guess you should use it at your own risk. Or it could be just me. Sorry if anything bad happened or happens to anyones box.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So are you finally over that Arch nonsense?  :cheeky:

I donno what to do about Arch quite frankly. I am still gonna work on the Archie LiveCD, its the best out there by far, but as for using Arch as my primary... i think it just got downgraded. I'm happy to be using apt again, been a while since I was on debian but i remember why I liked it.

I also loved Ubuntu at first, but when I was two point releases behind on Gaim and four on Firefox, I kind of got tired of not being up to date (even though I had the universe and multiverse repositories enabled).

There are ways around that, but then I remembered how much Gentoo rocks :P

I liked ubuntu at first aswell, but the more i got "deeper in" i found out how crippled it was. The out-of date thing annoyed me aswell, debian etch will still continue to be more up-to date than ubuntu, maybe not with the latest gnome but with things like gaim and xchat, yes. Gentoo really is great for up-to date software, it's just everytime you upgrade it seems something breaks. :angry:

:lol: exactly why I stopped using gentoo....what good is 'uptodate' is half is broke :lol2:

How can anyone complain about a cuttingedge stable release distro not having the latest and greatest broken, test, unstable, packages? You are not getting much in the way of new features from one version to the next 9x of 10 so..... ???? :rolleyes:

cooker is by far the most uptodate_AND_stable there is....hands down. There's always the ubuntu backports if you want the latest and greatest ;) ....and they usually work. :beer:

I just went back to Arch about a month ago on here. (laptop) I still have it running my server. As far as outdated apps you can always use the backports or just point your apt source to the next release. Usually things don't break with that. Or at least I didn't have too much trouble.

I went back to Arch cause it kind of forces me to learn again or remember how to do thing manually. Only problem is, everything is setup and running now and its the same as it was with Ubuntu. <shrug>

I do really love the ease of installation of Ubuntu, especially with the wireless setup on install. (madwifi)

I might go back, not sure yet.