• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:banana:

and another!

:banana:

I just got a new soundcard.....booted ubuntu and all I had to do was unmute and raise the pcm volume :headbang:

booted mandrake and had to use that harddrake thingy to choose the new driver. Despite stopping and starting alsa and doing other things...I had to reboot to get sound. But I guess all that matters is that is works, eh? :juggle:

I like Ubuntu a lot. It's a nice, lightweight, attractive, stable, fast desktop oriented distro. It's also well configured for downloading more packages from the huge Debian repositories using apt-get/Synaptic.

It does, however, fall short in a few areas for me:

1. Dial up. You can configure in Gnome-system tools the wvdial settings. Then you have to go into the command line, or add your user to dip, and use modem lights. Or you can download and compile the Gnome-ppp sources (after downloading the build essentials and Glade stuff). It all works fine, but requires some tedious fiddling before you're up and running. Contrast that with a KDE oriented distro, which installs KPPP right out of the box, which only requires your account, number and password, then you're up and running within a few minutes.

2. Hardware detection - it's good with Ubuntu, but not as good as Mandrake, Mepis or Knoppix.

3. A bit too stripped down. I found I had to apt-get too many things to get the system I wanted. apt-geting is no big deal, but the time used to download all that stuff adds up realy quickly. I like having multi-CD's like Mandrake PowerPack, for the convenience of getting everything I like very quickly and easily.

3.  A bit too stripped down.  I found I had to apt-get too many things to get the system I wanted.  apt-geting is no big deal, but the time used to download all that stuff adds up realy quickly.  I like having multi-CD's like Mandrake PowerPack, for the convenience of getting everything I like very quickly and easily.

That's one of the reason why I like Ubuntu. No unwanted software, I choose and decides which application/programs I want in my OS. I'm on cable so it doesn't bother me, but I can see if people are using dial up it can be frustrating. But again I don't hope that Dial up users are using the downloadble version of Mandrake :cheesy:

if you want, you CAN install a very stripped down ubuntu (e.g. without a gui), if you know the tricks. just like mandrake, you can add or remove as much as you want in ubuntu. but only few people are interested in a gui-less system anyway. :juggle:

3.  A bit too stripped down.  I found I had to apt-get too many things to get the system I wanted.  apt-geting is no big deal, but the time used to download all that stuff adds up realy quickly.  I like having multi-CD's like Mandrake PowerPack, for the convenience of getting everything I like very quickly and easily.

That's one of the reason why I like Ubuntu. No unwanted software, I choose and decides which application/programs I want in my OS. I'm on cable so it doesn't bother me, but I can see if people are using dial up it can be frustrating. But again I don't hope that Dial up users are using the downloadble version of Mandrake :cheesy:

Different strokes for different folks.

Stripped down newbie distros, with only one program per software type, and no server or development stuff, and either Gnome or KDE only, is a major trend right now. Lot's of people like that, because they don't get a lot extra "cruft" they don't want or need. And I can see the appeal.

However, for me, I love having all that extra "cruft" instantly available on the CDs. I don't like "sane" defaults, because someone else selected them for me. I'd rather be able to try the different options in a software type, and decide for myself what is the "sane" default. For instance, I don't particularily care for OpenOffice because it loads ridiculously slow. But Ubuntu only installs OpenOffice by default, because the Ubuntu developers decided that it was the "sane" default for most users. That annoys me. True, it's a simple apt-get to get AbiWord, Gnumeric, or KOffice. But that takes more time than installing from CD (even with broadband). With Mandrake PowerPack, I can install all of them if I want to, or later easily install them from CD with rmpdrake.

Also, with a multi cd distro, I can also switch back and forth between packages, depending on what mood strikes me. I can also install KDE and Gnome and XFCE and IceWM and Fluxbox and Enlightenment and Windowmaker, and have fun checking out each one of them. Now, apt-getting an entire desktop environment takes time, and is often not a no-brainer - it can give you major hassles. But with Mandrake PowerPack, it's all there for the very easy taking, with no fuss or no muss.

With any Linux distro installation, my minimum desired system includes:

- Both Gnome and KDE

- Other lightweight WMs instantly available.

- All the major development tools, like gcc, g++, Glade, KDevelop, QT designer, Java, PHP, Perl, Python, gdb, Quanta +, Screem, etc.

- Gnome games and KDE games, as well as the likes of Frozen Bubble, Tux Racer, LBreakout, and more.

- All the major Browsers, including Mozilla, Firefox, Epiphany, and Konqueror

- Both Evolution and Kontact

- All the major office software, including OpenOffice, AbiWord and Gnumeric, KOffice, and various accessories

- The basic multimedia stuff (I don't do that much multimedia on computer, I do it with TVs and stereos, so it's not that important to me).

- Apache

- MySQL

- Telnet server

- guarddog

- Great package management a la apt-get or urpmi, with GUI frontends like Synaptic or RPMDrake

- Extra distro specific themes (above and beyond the standard KDE and Gnome themes), like Mandrake's Galaxy.

- Easy GUI config tools like Mandrake Control Center. SuSE's yast is another good one, as well as Libranet's Adminmenu. Gnome System Tools and KDE Control Center fall a bit short

- Extra proprietary drivers like for Nvidia video cards, and drivers for Conexant and Lucent winmodems.

So, you can see that Ubuntu falls short on a few of these, and requires tons and tons of downloading with Synaptic to get everything I want. And all of this downloading is a complete no-go with dial up, and still very time consuming with broadband.

Of course, I want great hardware detection, speed and stability. Ubuntu is good in these areas.

However, it's Mandrake PowerPack that provides everything I want, and then some, 100%.

Edited by JeffSmdk

BTW, as for downloading Mandrake - with dial up it is a no go. However, it's super easy to either just buy the boxed version (get extra proprietary drivers and programs, as well as the printed documentation), or to buy the 4 CDs from one of many CD vendors.

Also BTW - I love Ubuntu and I think it deserves all the alcolades it's getting. I've even posted on the Ubuntu forums, singing it's praises. Ubuntu is my second or third favorite distro (the other being Mepis).

But for my all around day to day use, nothing beats Mandrake, my favorite.