Ubuntu info

jlc

If you like "Debian for Desktop" that much and don't mind a couple of broken packages then Sid via Kanotix is the way to go...

I have tried (K)Ubuntu 3 times in the past, but was put off by the very lofi quality of their Universe/Multiverse repos'packages, and the utterly nonsensical sudo thing. Enabling a root account is easy theoretically, but after doing so you discover LOTS of minor and major annoyances...

To sum up it's not for me... and if Arch Linux did not exist (fortunately enough it does!) I would use Sid.

I'm sorry but if you want "debian for the desktop" you use debian etch, yes the real thing is much better than kanotix, knoppix, mepis. They all just seem badly broken. I was using debian as my desktop for months.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Ubuntu works too well for Geeks? It installs too easily, works too stabily and doesn't require enough attention for Geeks to feel clever using it.

Or am I smoking my socks?

Perhaps you're smoking to much socks :P .

I'm not a geek but know my ways around stuff, but why should geeks complain for something that works, if I havn't misunderstood the issue? Isn't that the point? If the so called geeks wants to fiddle with something and want to tweak and fix every day they should build up a distro of their own?

But then again some says ubuntus got some issues and other people say it's to easy and stable etc. confusing eh? So who's the geeks and who's the non-geeks and what do they complain about of the same distro? :cheesy:

[ubuntu defense combat mode=on]

[Alarm parameters=yellow]

[flaming possibilty=35%]

[flame missiles=off]

[troll attack=off]

[defensive non-flammable underwear=on]

.:=The AI Dude=:.

Ps. this was not aimed at SoulSe I just want to extend his question a little further :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
UBUNTU 5.10 IS NOW RELEASED!!!!

:woot_jump:

I have it already running on my new Smartbook Lappy. Works like a charm :thumbs: Fast, beautiful, stable. Although the installer was horrible this time. It always showed some messed up display during the uncompressing and installing of packages and I was afraid that my Desktop could get messed up once the install is finished, but it works very well. I am happy right now. :)

I seem to have lost the ability to burn cd's.  :(

Ok, this can mean a lot of things with out more info.

1.) You forgot how to.

2.) Your burner is dead.

3.) You don't have a burner anymore.

4.) There is a bug in ubuntu

5.) Your iso's suck.

Give some info fool!!! ;)

Maybe Ubuntu works too well for Geeks? It installs too easily, works too stabily and doesn't require enough attention for Geeks to feel clever using it.

Or am I smoking my socks?

Perhaps you're smoking to much socks :P .

I'm not a geek but know my ways around stuff, but why should geeks complain for something that works, if I havn't misunderstood the issue?

Yep, Ubuntu comes complete with root kit...

You access the web as your user and your user is set up as ALL:ALL in sudo'ers so you can type: sudo passwd root for instance ( or run it from a cgi-script)

The whole sudo is just pants... they cripple so many packages by implementing it that it screws up stuff they hadn't thought of..

like any distro there is always something else you want..I *need* vlc, not just xine because my ISP streams my a vls stream for my TV .. (lucky this works but ..) some stuff just doesn't for instance the Marillat sources for lots of DVD ripping and other nice stuff... so you end up trying to get it to work and its an endless process....

Some of the stuff you're asking for you can find in

deb http://antesis.freecontrib.org/mirrors/ubuntu/plf/ breezy free non-free

deb-src http://antesis.freecontrib.org/mirrors/ubuntu/plf/ breezy free non-free

I got all the multi media stuff which is needed (for normal user)