wooHOO, Only 5 more months to Mandrake 10

scoopy

http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/...Main/Mandrake10

Was surfing for something and came across the above. Don't remember seeing this part of Mandrake's circle of websites, so I thought I would mention it. There seems to be some really good stuff there on how to make iso's and rpms, plus all the latest scoop on the different releases.

Definately worth bookmarking the main page:

http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/

well, 2 distros a year, this is usual rate...

In mdk 10, i would like to see :

- kernel 2.6

- a feature in gnome to spread windows like in the latest mac OS.

- a ftp client with the features of leechftp (from windows)

- a better totem with playlist support

and especially : a far better integration of mozilla and the plug in !

- a feature in gnome to spread windows like in the latest mac OS.
Talk to the gnome developers
- a ftp client with the features of leechftp (from windows)
find some ftp program developers, talk to them, then try to get Mandrake Club members to ask for it's inclusion
- a better totem with playlist support
talk to totem developers.

So what does that make 9.2?

That makes 9.2, well, 9.2. Mandrake (along with many other distributions) releases on a 6 month cycle, always, no matter how few or how many changes occur in the programs they include.

I'd just wish that they would make it more clear what the changes are from one version to another, so you know in advance whether you really will benefit from an upgrade.

Anyone who knows why it will be 10 and not e.g. 9.3? Does this mean that the next version WILL have major changes?

Ciao,

Wim

.0 release: lots of new stuff usually (big version number changes), these are where big changes happen

.1 and .2 releases: bug fixes and updated versions of large packages.

it's just how Mandrake (and even Red Hat) run their release versions. .0, .1, .2, back to .0

9.1 has been out for more than 6 months. 9.2 was a little late, usually the second yearly release is around September.

There is a place where you could find out the changes from 9.1 to 9.2 somewhere on the mandrake website. but the list will be huge. i mean REALLY HUGE. This isn't Windows. It doesn't work like windows. Don't expect it to. The open source software community makes many changes, bug fixes, etc. and the distributions have to keep up with these changes. 6 months can mean up to 9/10 version changes in a piece of open source software.

If you want a better explanation, get Gowator in here.

So what does that make 9.2?

A peace offering to the creditors until the real work is done?

No thats just the way that Mandrake operates. The distro gets released roughly every 6 months and goex X.0, X.1, X.2 Y.0, ........ I remember a similar thread when 9.1 came out, some one complained that announcing 9.2 made 9.1 worthless. Well not really it only means that MandrakeSoft intend keep improving their distro. I'd guess/hope we'll see KDE 3.2 in MDK 10 as its already being Alpha tested.

I think I agree with most that version 10 will be exciting because of all the new things, but I actually think I was looking more foreward to 9.2 because I wanted something rock solid with all the bugs worked out to install in my main machine. Too bad they don't take it one step further and release a 9.3 version to compare with Mac's 10.3 panther release.

I think I have learned my lesson through the 8 and 9 series and will only install 10 in a test partition.

Mandrake should simply do 2 things: First and foremost DEBUG the install, and get rid of all the apps that DON'T work!!!
See, the thing is, it works for some, but not for all, and the same with the apps. Some work for some people, some don't. They need feed back on what does not work and why and in what situations so that they can try to fix the problems. Saying they should debug the install doesn't help them...because it doesn't tell them what went wrong and in what situation. Personally the install was smooth for me. Personally I've had no trouble with Mandrake. Personally I have nothing to report to them in the way of things not working. If you do, hop on over to their site and tell them. If you don't give them feedback on problems, don't expect them to fix them.

It seems pretty clear to me that 9.2 is intended to get the distro "warmed up & ready" for the 2.6 kernel and 10.0 more than as a bugfix release. That's why it has the latest gcc, necessary tool packages for the 2.6 kernel, etc. If it was a simple update and bugfix, they would have left that kinda stuff alone.

So, 9.2 will let Mandrake debug stuff needed for 2.6 ahead of time. When they actually do put the 2.6 kernel in 10.0 that will make it pretty much a straight plug-in to a tested, proven version of the Mandrake distro. There shouldn't be much else to do other than the usual updates to KDE, Gnome, etc. to newer packages. I think this is a good plan, to have all the basic system stuff needed for the next release already in there and in full testing. Come to think of it, I guess that sorta makes 9.2 a massive beta test for 10.0, minus the super-cool kernel.

9.2 is already advertised as "2.6 ready" and I'm sure Mandrake put that little note in there for the unstated purpose of getting lots of feedback from those who can't resist the urge to go ahead and try it out. Why else would they encourage such foolin' around?

When 10.0 and the 2.6 kernel are ready, it will *finally* be worthwhile to build a new box and upgrade from 8.2...