Digital Cameras

AussieJohn

At last I have got me a digital camers. FujiFilm FinePix S5600.

I have no difficulty downloading the jpg pictures that are in a DCIM folder and moving them to where ever I want.

So just a short question for some short answers. What packages are there for handling digital cameras ???. Hopefully save me wading through all the installable packages in contrib and main.

I already have xcam and it seems to be a complete waste of time, next best to useless in fact except to a geek.

Cheers. John.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi John,

What is it you'd like to do with these packages that handle the camera? I have a Fuji digital camera too, albeit 3 years old now, a Finepix 6900Z. All I do is just copy the pics off and use gimp or something.

Is there something specific you want to do with the digicam apps?

Thanks Ian and Devries. Thank you both for such quick responses.

That is the kind of thing I am after so I don't need to open The Gimp. I'l try that one. Are there any others as well that I can try out ???

Cheers. John

Unfortunately digicam cannot detect the camera and it is not one of those listed. I tried all sorts of settings and nothing works. The camera is detected as a USB device ok and and opens a box to access the images ok. I am doing precisely as Ian describes.

It just would be nice to have a package of utilities that are collected around digital camera downloading similar to what exists for Windows and Mac users.

I don't have the camera, but if its interface is only of the USB storage type then you can only handle it as a removable drive.

If it has another interface like PtP then switch to it before firing up Digikam. Even PictBridge (which is supposed to be used only with printers) may work.

Hi, John!

Maybe try gtkam,

it's not as good as digikam, but...

If your prime need is to just look at those photos and do little edit, try GQview (it just can't download them straight from your camera)

p.s. You can still download those images, put them in a folder and look at them using digikam. Same goes for gtkam

good luck!

p.s. please excuse any stupid grammar mistakes, I'm very tired atm

Edited by solarian

my two cents:

(not exactly sure what you mean by "handling camera If that's not about digital photo collection, don't read!)

Digikam can handle the essential image editing, such as brightness/contrast/gamma adjustment, cropping, etc. The basic things that GIMP is not needed for. If it cannot import the fotos from the camera, just copy them yourself, digikam will find them and add to the collection.

There is also KimDaBa, another app to manage/annotate/export to html etc. photos. It supports "kipi plugins" thingy as well.

Further, funny enough, kuickshow can also save photos and can make basic color adjustments, but no labels, of course.

For the record, I have a Sony DSC-P200, which has triple USB interface ( Storage, PtP, and PictBridge). Digikam recognizes it only when at PtP mode, and since its not at the program's database, it recognizes it as another model (DSC-F707V). But I wouldn't complain about that, since everything works...

Thanks again sofar EVERYONE.

Neddie, I know the spot you mean but what actual wording do you type in there. I have tried a few things but have had no response.

Thanks cage47 and Ianw. What you suggest is quite OK and it works, but it is not the solution I am seeking.

Thanks Devries and Uralmasha. You both have the feel of what I am after.

Thanks Solarian. That is what I am presently doing. Gqview and the showPHOTO ( which I have now found thanks to you great folk )

do a nice job. But you still have to copy the camera file images to another directory or folder and then do the necessarys. If I could get digicam to work it would eliminate the unnecessary intermediary actions.

Thanks Scarecrow. Could you spell out more detail here or even PM me with more extensive detail. I can post my success or otherwise later here.

Cheers to all and thanks in advance. John.

No great details about that... after a quick look at your camera's specs, I saw it does support PictBridge mode (the selection should be done from a camera menu), but not PtP mode.

So, switch the USB mode of the camera at PictBridge mode, plug it at your computer, and open digikam. It should recognize the camera, but not necessarily as the correct model.

You need digikam, digikam imageplugins and kipi-plugins being installed.

No great details about that... after a quick look at your camera's specs, I saw it does support PictBridge mode (the selection should be done from a camera menu), but not PtP mode.

So, switch the USB mode of the camera at PictBridge mode, plug it at your computer, and open digikam. It should recognize the camera, but not necessarily as the correct model.

You need digikam, digikam imageplugins and kipi-plugins being installed.

John, has anybody mentioned gthumb for photo editing? For downloading, my Kodak camera connects via USB. I can browse it.download pictures using konqueror (camera:// ) or by clicking on the icon which appears on the desktop when I turn the camera on; I think the application is gphoto2.

Thank you Scarecrow. I will definately give that a try, since it sounds promising.

Thank you too Coverup, I will install it and look at it.

When I am done with all this, I will post a summary since it might be of help to others.

Anyone one else wishing to add anything, please please do so. This case hasn't been put to rest by a long shot.

Cheers. John.