Digital Cameras

AussieJohn

Hi John,

Thanks to let us use your space then! Actually I just had a look on the specs of your camera (good choice by the way) and you have a raw mode as well (ccd-raw). This is therefore relevant to your camera, shooting in raw mode avoids any dara loss via compressin thst you get with jpeg. Some people qualify it as the Digital film processing as you have control on all the features that are involved in the creation of the photo from digital data from the ccd.

I tried Bibblelabs's software (£40 for the Lite version) and it is quite impressive. Nevetheless after a snow fall this morning and a few shots in my garden I compared both processing by Bibblelab and UFRaw a Gimp plugin for raw processing.

Well I am still in favour of UFRaw and not only because it s free but Bibblelabs result seemed to increase the noise from the ccd quite a bit (I was shooting @ ISO 400). When I try to use their Ninja noise facility it invariably crashes,

Therefore I will stick with the UFRaw Pluggin.

Hope that comes useful!

Stef :D

PS: Get some rechargeable batteries and an Isun to charge them in solar power, I leave in UK (lvely sun all year long but only in my heart B) ) and it works a treat!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks to let us use your space then! Actually I just had a look on the specs of your camera (good choice by the way) and you have a raw mode as well (ccd-raw). This is therefore relevant to your camera, shooting in raw mode avoids any dara loss via compressin thst you get with jpeg. Some people qualify it as the Digital film processing as you have control on all the features that are involved in the creation of the photo from digital data from the ccd.

I tried Bibblelabs's software (£40 for the Lite version) and it is quite impressive. Nevetheless after a snow fall this morning and a few shots in my garden I compared both processing by Bibblelab and UFRaw a Gimp plugin for raw processing.

Well I am still in favour of UFRaw and not only because it s free but Bibblelabs result seemed to increase the noise from the ccd quite a bit (I was shooting @ ISO 400). When I try to use their Ninja noise facility it invariably crashes,

Therefore I will stick with the UFRaw Pluggin.

Ive got the dcraw too... I find bibble takes some getting used to and it took a bit of practice getting used to it. Now my GF actually watches me using it like its more interesting than me taking the photo's... its become sorta unconcious

If you want email me a raw and Ill see if It works for me? Course it might be different with my Nikon because a lot of this stuff is actually model specific anyway have a look in the album... I can send you the raws and even the processing chain (.bib) as well if you want a play... In the end I got bibble before the UFRaw and dcraw stuff was stable in linux and it forced me to learn it.

I did some stuff for my brother at New Years (he got a D70s) and he didn't persist to get the hang of it (we were using the Windows version) and he just used the Nikon software instead. I was forced into learning it but now I am now really glad I did.