why after MDK10 im switching distros.

Guest neoyeo

Guest neoyeo

i've been using mandrake since the 7.x series after having switched from rh6.

i've come directly from mdk 9.2 and decided my machine needed a spring clean so i intended on installing 10 from scratch.

after getting hold of 4 installation cd's i eagerly sat down to begin the process.

first thing that went wrong was i couldnt get the graphical boot option to work, even trying vgalo et al. now this shouldnt be the case as all previous versions have worked automagically. _nothing_ is different about the PC since i installed 9.2 and before that 8...

not having the heart to do individual package selection in text mode i decided to install everything. however once installation was complete startx wouldnt run the x server. some error message about the xfree86 config file being corrupt.

now... sure i _could_ have probably got things to work if id spent a couple of hours tinkering with config files and settings - but this isn't the point.

im disappointed.

so im now thinking i may aswell fire up gentoo from stage 2....

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are two things i 'd like to ask you:

- if you are able to tweak a system, why do you give up that early? that sounds unlogical to me, unless you pretend you are a linux veteran and are in fact a newbie to linux.

- why did you register? only to tell us that you won't use mdk10? wow... i think there are other, more productive ways to spend time. :lol2:

i honestly don't understand what you want to achieve with this posting. either you ask for help (which will gladly be given, if asked for :D ) or you quitely install another system that suits your purposes in a better way. sorry, but this seems kinda kid-like behavior imho. :juggle:

Edited by arctic

Guest neoyeo

there are two things i 'd like to ask you:

- if you are able to tweak a system, why do you give up that early? that sounds unlogical to me, unless you pretend you are a linux veteran and are in fact a newbie to linux.

i've been using linux along time but im no expert. i get by.

- why did you register? only to tell us that you won't use mdk10? wow... i think there are other, more productive ways to spend time. :lol2:

well this may seem funny to you but if mandrake were my company it would not. my point was that the orginal 'ease of use' philosophy that attracted me to mandrake has either gone or they did not spend enough time bug testing. as i mentioned the computer (amd athlon/permedia II/maxtor HD/3c900 combo NIC) had ran the graphical installer perfectly for every previous version ive tried. now it does not.

i honestly don't understand what you want to achieve with this posting. either you ask for help (which will gladly be given, if asked for :D ) or you quitely install another system that suits your purposes in a better way. sorry, but this seems kinda kid-like behavior imho. :juggle:

what i was 'trying to achieve' is simply this:

i was registering my disappointment in 10.0 _as a distribution_. it does not work as i think it should.

Just to point out that this site is in no way afilliated with Mandrake so registering your dissapointment here is not particularly productive...

Also, as bvc was hinting, gentoo is harder and will take much longer to install than mandrake - even if you do have to tweak it.

That said, if you've been using mdk for a little while - it couldn't hurt to experience another distro...

Well, I agree that Mandrake 10 is not a great distro. I have not been able to get sound working since I ran the updates. It is stable, but I think there are uneresolved issues with the 2.6 kernel.

Having said all that, I still have Mandrake on my machine, along with two other distros. I have used 8 or 9 different distros, including gentoo. The point that I think you should consider is that linux is all about choice. If you don't like how windex does a certain thing (like launch viruses automagically in your system) then you have no recourse. With linux you do. Just try a different distro. Finally, I have installed windex on systems that would not function properly. What do you do? Nothing! There is no different windex to use with your equipement. Linux has all the variety.

Gentoo is a bit of fun to install, although in my opinion bootstrap is what gentoo is all about. If you use stage 2 or stage 3 installs, you may as well try another distro.

Why not post some specific questions and let's see if we can get the bugs worked out? We might be more capable than you realize! :D

Well, what do you want us to say?

You haven't given us a chance to help you out.

You registered only to complain.

Would have been better off emailing the developers. And perhaps they'll incorparate some changes based on your feed back. Usually the people here register to help and be helped.

Your 2 posts were only to say you're leaving.

No offence, but since you haven't asked for help, I don't sympathise with you.

Edited by spiedra

Would have been better off emailing the developers. And perhaps they'll incorparate some changes based on your feed back.
Unfortunately you cant email the developers anymore. Niether would they be allowed to answer I guess if you did have their email!

Come to that you cant email mandrake at all except to buy ....buy or buy.

they hide theoir addresses most effectively...

Why not try looking at Mandrakes site...

they have no interest in feedback tho if you need help they will tell you to pay for the club or expert...

To be fair this is how I found this board and its not always apparent we are not affiliated to Mandrake. Airing the views anywhere is fair... hemight put em on a weblog or whatever .. since you cant email mandrake but at least here someone from Mandrake might eventually read them...

The comments are fair and givne lack of chance to convince mandrake any other way I dont think its fair to criticise neoyeo for posting it here....

Mandrake is meant to be simple to install.... why else would anyone choose it over gentoo/slack/arch et al...

(along with urpmi) ease of install and nooby friendlyness are meant to be what Mandrkae is about (according to Duval)

At the same time their acpi defaults and the installer problems in various releases have probably caused more people to go back to windows than any other factor. (given once its installed and excepting the 2.6 issues its a great distro)

Its a simple answer to say 'hey tell the developers' but its close to a RTFM...yeah ... i know how that sounds but think about it. And more nd more I get the impression mandrake just dont want to know,

I find the neoyeo post very odd. He IMMEDIATELY assumes that Mandrake 10 is at fault because HE cannot install it properly. I have found 10 to be the easiest trouble free install of all Mandrakes so far, now using 10 Official edition.

I don't think he wants a solution to any socalled problems, he just wants to diss Mandrake.

Well mate you are wasting your time here if that is all you want to do.

If you really want help then most of us are only too willing to help. As the old expression goes "Ask and you shall receive" if you do it politely of course.

John.

Its not so simple John, I remember your 9.2 issues after buying specially for 9.1 which then got fixed in 10.

I have had lots of probs with MDK installers... my AMD64 one looses the CD others do random wierd things and just becuase it works for one person doesnt mean it works for everyone.

I was sympathetic when you had probs in 9.2 and Im sympathetic to neoyeo now...

where else should he express his disatisfaction? I certainly dont think the 'if you dont like it then just say nothing attitude is correct'

I have had multi-issues with installers and MDK 10 is a good one for ME ... but I appreciate that it probably isnt for everyones hardware...

somewhere the nforce chipsets went weird in 10... those that didnt work in 9.2 worked and those that did work stopped working...

we are at version 10.0 and still mdk add pcmcia startup AFTER networking and I have yet to find a Mandrake that will run on my Amilo laptop with PCMCIA.

If I didnt have a loyalty to Mandrake I would have given up several times....

I tried Xandros on my laptop, it didnt install first time and that was it!

(becuase I have no particulat loyalty to Xandros) so I tried Lindows and it installed....

Did I try and contact Xandros ? No - becuase I dont care enough

neoyeo obviously has a long history of MDK and thats WHY he felt compelled to register and say so.....

Ill be honest and say that was my motivation for registering too... a long time ago now!

No-one dissed me like neoyeo has been dissed .... and I stuck around and I like to think I have helped hundreds of people since then....

I once replied to you about whinging.(I'm a pom thats what we do mate).. well I used to beta test for Mandrake but they stopped even acknowledging what I thought... and thousands like me....

Why do you think texstar left the fold? etc....

I agree a text install is easier than a gentoo install but thats not the point if you decided on buying mandrake for its easy install !

I also dont like to say but perhaps if he bought the powerpack he could get the permedia support?

Yes we help people here but if thats all then MUB is loosing its community feel....

Yes we help people here but if thats all then MUB is loosing its community feel....

well, honestly, i don't think that MUB will loose its communitiy feel because of this (look at all those off-topic-fun-discussions).

you have to keep in mind that people come and go to, switch distros, head back to windows/apple/..., get annoyed from boards etc. but it is simply that i never, NEVER experieced someone in a linux-discussion forum, only registering because he/she/it wants to complain.

of course, everyone has the right to complain, but you usually complain after even with the help of others you don't get anything done. if you hack on the system for a whole months and don't manage to get your network or other stuff working, then you have all the right to say "this distro is shit and you are a bunch of idiots", but only then.... maybe. :cheesy:

i remember that i had lots of problems with my SUSE distros (8.1 and 8.2) and with ark-linux. but did i complain? no. i simply took other distros, if the fault was the distro being buggy. in terms of networking, the problem was by the manufacturer of my adsl modem, so i could have blamed him (and i did, but he didn't react :D). so, if i want to complain, i have to take a look first if the problems caused here are problems caused by me, by some hardware vendors of if it is the distro's fault.

sure, that mandrake doesn't listen to their users (yoper is the complete opposite ;)) is bad, but i think that he knew that before, because this has not changed over night.

i would have apreciated, if he simply would have asked for help instead of blaming someone who doesn't listen anyway.

Edited by arctic

I see the point but its still better to say something than nothing...

My point is MDK should move forwards consistently - not two step forwards and one back becuase when you are the one hit by the one back its a pain.

Installers are the first thing a noobie sees and MDK bills itself as a noobie distro...above all.

Sure people complain about slack or deb installers but slack or deb dont make a big deal over how good the installer is.... in fact mainly they say who cares you only use it once.

MDK has some crap choices in the installer... a good 20% of people have to use CD2 with alternative kernel or pass kernel options at boot just to install.

There is no need for it .... its just lazyness and not caring about those 20%...

The main thing for me is that lets say its 20% and half of them just give up...

many will give up on linux not just mandrake... especially if they are trying a download edition. If they have to mess about and come through the other end they are usually stronger for it but the casualty rate is too high IMHO

I have given up on MDK myself on 9.2 - it just objected to my HW and Debian didnt... now Im back on MDK 10 on one machine that worked in 9.2 not in 9.2 and mostly in 10.0

Mandrake are a commercial distro, the fact they also give it away is not an excuse for a poor installer...

Say they charged for the OE and left CE download then a 'experimental' installer on CE might be acceptable but

anyway, I think they registered to complain out of shere frustration... Mandrake leave little option for complaints.... even if you order direct and they havent delivered after months they wont respond to email... even if they bill you $6000 instead of $60.... they are simply crap at interfacing with their users (apparently the billing problem was their bank but again it doesnt mean they dont have a repsonsibility to not answer emails or send standard form letters... someone who lost $6000 is hardly going to have confidence in this case)

If I find a problem in knoppix I can email klaus and have a reply....same day.

If I find a prob in a deb I can email the maintainer and usually get a thankyou same day!

If I ever found a prob with a plf RPM I bet i would get a same day reply...

Xebian (Xbox debian) same day response and even kano not known for his human skills ... same day response....and possibly even a thanks!

Yet Mandrake steadfastly do not acknowledge their users!

So on other boards I wouldnt need to register just to express dissatisfaction....

If I found a bug in say knoppix I post it on the site and email klaus and he responds! Mandrake soft created a gap and so our board will get its fair share of people filling it..

So on other boards I wouldnt need to register just to express dissatisfaction....

If I found a bug in say knoppix I post it on the site and email klaus and he responds!  Mandrake soft created a gap and so our board will get its fair share of people filling it..

*if* they find it.

neoyeo: in the future, if you have issues, please feel free to ask. As you have probably seen, we have an "Other Linux Distributions" forum where many of us provide excellent help for other distributions we have used or still do use (I have Mandrake, Fedora, Arch and Gentoo installed - along with Mac OS X on and iBook). If you want help, please ask, and we'll gladly to provide it.

everyone else: let's not turn this into another "bash mandrake" or "argue about mandrake" thread. we've done that dance before and it's gained us nothing. by giving neoyeo here guidance in whatever actions he chooses to take, we gain one more user for our community. let's keep that in mind, shall we?