why after MDK10 im switching distros.

Guest neoyeo

neoyeo:  in the future, if you have issues, please feel free to ask.  As you have probably seen, we have an "Other Linux Distributions" forum where many of us provide excellent help for other distributions we have used or still do use (I have Mandrake, Fedora, Arch and Gentoo installed - along with Mac OS X on and iBook).  If you want help, please ask, and we'll gladly to provide it.

everyone else: let's not turn this into another "bash mandrake" or "argue about mandrake" thread.  we've done that dance before and it's gained us nothing.  by giving neoyeo here guidance in whatever actions he chooses to take, we gain one more user for our community.  let's keep that in mind, shall we?

Good points tyme....

... i wasnt trying to turn it into a knock MDK thread it just drifted that way....

I just think its good to remember that by the time some people find us here they are already at their wits end ... and although neoyeo could maybe have worded it differently we were a bit harsh.... especially to someones first post... who probably didnt realise we are *not* mandrakesoft.

of course we would all have felt bettwer if he had worded the moan as a question but playing jeapardy might not be his first thought :jester:

and personally I like your last

by giving neoyeo here guidance in whatever actions he chooses to take, we gain one more user for our community.  let's keep that in mind, shall we?

Now i agree with him the installer can suck ... but persistance is often rewarded.

MDK 10 is IMHO the best yet when installed....it converted one of my boxes back ...full time.....

Those of us here who run multi-distro's all come back to MDK and MUB for the community ... at times we have felt a need to try other stuff and we have said why...

If neoyeo had just posted fud thats one thing but there was substance behind what he said..(. whether we like it or not... )

this isnt a massive issue.... I just felt we were a bit sharp and didnt display the charactaristic friendlyness that this board is renowned for ....

9 times out of 10 Im pleasantly surprised by this board and the way it handles itself without even mod intervention and this is just a freak 1/10 or less....time that it was the opposite....

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what are you talking about?

:unsure:

My first post!

I think if I got the same response as neoyeo I would have just left as they appear to do!

I was at my wits end and MDK screwed me out of the powerpack with crap media that are not even round....

When I go to their website to complain they have no contacts ....

so when I got here I was desperate and had it not been for anon, Ix and Pzatch I would have just registered my dissatisfaction and left it at that....

As it happens I stayed and hopefully Ive helped at least one person since then!

this isnt a massive issue.... I just felt we were a bit sharp and didnt display the charactaristic friendlyness that this board is renowned for ....

9 times out of 10 Im pleasantly surprised by this board and the way it handles itself without even mod intervention and this is just a freak 1/10 or less....time that it was the opposite....

what are you talking about?

:unsure:

Joined just to rant. Didn't ask for help.......didn't need it as they claim to be vet. The post deserved no other kind of reply than mine, that was edited by an admin. That's what I meant. Why hasn't this thread been deleted yet? :unsure:

:bvc:

From what I gather about neoyeo's 2 posts, he doesn't want our guidance or help. I would have understood and sympathised if he wanted to vent some frustration and critisize if after having asked for help, things are still not working, but he only registered to complain about Mandrake without attempting to tweak or fix the system through our help and guidance. How many of us have never had to tweak Linux or Windows for that matter? This is nothing more then an exit post that really doesn't deserve this much attention.

Edited by spiedra

Maybe its a bad download or bad cd burn?

BTW, feel free to try other distros, we all have (and should).

But I must say a text install seems a lot simplier than running a gentoo install.

Just wondering how do you the integrity of a mandrake 10.0 iso file?

I am downloading Mandrake 10.0 at the moment from one of the mirrors and i saw that there is a small file with a folowup of numbers to check the integrity of the download but i do not know how it works, especially since i am downloading the files on windows XP.

:D

Look i have had it too!!!!

And i'm not gonna stand for it, no way, i'm gonna switch as soon as i can!

to mdk 10.1, then most likely 10.2 ;)

Edited by johnnyv

It seems I am not the only one who thinks this was a time waster from a possible troll. My comment was based on his reaction to previous posts offering to help him and his negative response. It was not made on the basis of just his first posting.

Sure I had my problems with 9.1 and described it as a lemon but I stuck it out with Mandrake with great thanks to everyone here at MUB. I have always appreciated Gowaters support but I have also valued BVCs support as well although I must concede he has a more forthright approach to things and that took a little time to understand.

Cheers. John.

Just wondering how do you  the integrity of a mandrake 10.0 iso file?

I am downloading Mandrake 10.0 at the moment from one of the mirrors and i saw that there is a small file with a folowup of numbers to check the integrity of the download but i do not know how it works, especially since i am downloading the files on windows XP.

See this FAQ on md5sums. :)

there's not one bit of useful info here. It's no different than the Improve Your Rank thread that was deleted amongst other useless threads. There's nothing here but bickering and negativity. That good enough? ;) No, this is not a PM. :)

It's no different than the Improve Your Rank thread that was deleted amongst other useless threads.

IYR wasn't deleted purposely, if you remember. Also, it was in off-topic, which is pruned anyways.

There's nothing here but bickering and negativity.

There's a few posts (if you look) which provide possible help for the problems neoyeo is having. I consider that useful. Either way, there's nothing here that violates board guidelines. And I repeat, if you do see anything, please PM a moderator or administrator. Otherwise, I consider this matter closed.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread :D