Would you buy EQII if it were available for linux?

HJ

I have a friend that really wants to ditch windows for linux, but is hesitant because of games available. Mainly, the upcomming release of EverQuest 2. So he posted on a EQ forum asking if there would be a Linux version, and people start blasting saying no one would buy it for linux. to quote...

"But there are far too few users of Linux to begin with, let alone users of Linux who would likely buy EQII"

So, is he right? I doubt it, but it would be nice to have numbers to back it up. :-) Thanks.

-HJ

He is very wrong.. there are many people who bought Neverwinter Nights (or wait buying the game) because of linux support. That alone probably add a couple of thousands copies sold.

Now, the problem with EQ is probably in the engine.. if the engine is created with Direct3d, then linux users are pretty much screwed. If it is created in OpenGL, then linux users may have a chance. But EQ developers are probably not the most dilligent people in the world.

Anyway, my personal answer is "no" because of two reasons:

1. I don't like MMORPG, especially pay-per-month MMORPG

2. I just cannot do the internet that much in my situation right now.

Erm,

I think dragonmage hit it on the head!

You don't buy it you subscribe!!!!

I know of a lot of problems with 'subscribers' since I know part of the support team from the ex-European server.

Its pretty simple.... its SONY and SONY screw you. SONY marketing is the same as MS Marketing, they are so compatible.

MS creates its own standards when others exist, so do Sony.

Morrowind! I'd buy that in a second (Boy I'm addicted to that game ... best value for money ever). Sorry to get repititious :lol:

you can play it without an internet connection, single player, and it's really 1 of the best RPG's ever made. I do think it uses Direct3D or some rendering device difficult/impossible to port.

Whoa... I just found out you can run it with WineX! This would be one of those cases where WineX is actually useful, if I wanted to run Linux, couldn't miss Morrowind and WineX actually allowed me to play it.

I know, shouldn't be how it should be (in a perfect world there would be a native Linux version), but it's a great 'bridging' technology in such a case.

Of course, Morrowind is *already* quite bug-prone, so I dunno what would happen running under Wine.

Edited by Darkelve

hmm...if it would run on this crap comp, I might...I don't really like that subscribe thing either...since that's the kind of game you play a few months...quit...come back next month, play a week or two...quit...you friend gets it, you play because of that together a few weeks...quit...get an email with a free trial...play until that ends...quit...come back....

so yea...if it wasn't a subscribe game, I definatly would...as it is, I would buy it...play out the trial it comes with (err...should...I hope...since normal EQ did)...then buy another month...then put it on my rack of games...where it would fall off because there isn't enough room anyways...sit on the floor a while...then get thrown in a drawer to be never seen again :-P

there was a discussion about EQ being ported to linux after they did that Mac OSX port, and someone mentioned some connection to MS which deterred it....can't remember how, not through sony, I think through verrant. Then again, Verrant doesn't run EQ anymore.

hmm...if it would run on this crap comp, I might...I don't really like that subscribe thing either...since that's the kind of game you play a few months...quit...come back next month, play a week or two...quit...you friend gets it, you play because of that together a few weeks...quit...get an email with a free trial...play until that ends...quit...come back....

so yea...if it wasn't a subscribe game, I definatly would...as it is, I would buy it...play out the trial it comes with (err...should...I hope...since normal EQ did)...then buy another month...then put it on my rack of games...where it would fall off because there isn't enough room anyways...sit on the floor a while...then get thrown in a drawer to be never seen again  :-P

Urza.....

From my information which comes from the horses mouth ... people don't play a few weeks, quit and come back.

I know people working for them both past and present.

If you have an addictive character (judge this for yourself) you could be one of the thousands for whom life has blurred with the game ..

Real people get addicted and marriages, university and jobs fall apart.

these cases ARE REAL.

lol...yea...I don't get that into RPGs...but they're fun for a while...I personally prefer RTS...

though even my brother who loves RPGs...who's beat Baldurs Gate about 20 times, does that with EQ...probably the first-person thing...

I know 50-year-olds playing a lot... more than me, a teenager. :o

Game addiction is becoming a big problem here, with an entire generation of kids raised on them. I play, a good amount, but addiction? no.

I agree with DOlson on another thread, PC gaming is better off dead. (Consoles are another matter)

I used to play EQ, I even have a guild on the one server. I keep getting emails from my guild member asking me to come back, and to atleast make someone else in the guild the leader. I won't even spare the $12 to do that. The game is addictive, and it gets old. I would probably get EQII if it was for linux, but I probably wouldn't play it long.