2.6 Kernel

Peppercorn

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to let the team down after all your hard work, but I could'nt get the module to compile if that is the lingo.

Otherwise, 2.6 is speeding along except for one strange thing. The CPU is operating at 99% the entire time even when the complete computer is idle. Any ideas as to what that may be???????????

Guest kuchwas
Otherwise, 2.6 is speeding along except for one strange thing. The CPU is operating at 99% the entire time even when the complete computer is idle.  Any ideas as to what that may be???????????

I had acpi=off in my lilo.conf for the longe..., well forever really. With 2.6 I had the same thong with cpu load. Changed to acpi=on, and it dropped right down to where it is supposed to be.

Try that, and rebot.

Been playing around with 2.6 since about 2.5.74 most have built alright through the 2.5.7x's where rather unstable. There is a slight but noticeable preformance boost from 2.6 vs 2.4 especially when dragging windows around (eg xmms) It takes considerably longer to start lagging and the Audio doesn't lag at all. Also switching tabs in Mozilla seems a fair bit faster than running 2.4 (even 2.4mm) on a K6-2 450Mhz.

The Other nice things I've noticed about 2.6 is It's alot better at managing Ram. With 2.4 I'm generally using all the System Memory (256) + about 50MB of the Swap file. With 2.6 I've generally found unless I run several large apps and a compile job it generally doesn't use more than 5 or so MB of Swap which is alot better.

Currently though I'm kind of stuck with the Mandrake 2.4 kernels as theres a bug in gcc 3.3.1 that was included in Mandrake 9.2 which stuff's up K6-2's produce bad Machine code. So until Cooker gets a new version I'm kind of stuck with 2.4 as I can't be bothered trying to compile gcc 3.3.2 which fixes the problem. And I can't be bothered using the Mandrake versions (to Bloated).

Guest kuchwas
Hi again

I have been running the 2.6 kernel for about 2 weeks now and have only just realised that I don't have video 4linux installed...

I have a brooktree type card but vid 4 linux isn't even installed.

Any help would be much appreciated!

V4l is a kernel module. What does lsmod as root show? Here is the pertinent stuff from mine (this is 2.6.0.0.4)

tuner 14796 0

tvaudio 21260 0

bttv 138284 2

video_buf 21540 1 bttv

i2c_algo_bit 9832 1 bttv

v4l2_common 6144 1 bttv

btcx_risc 4712 1 bttv

i2c_core 24392 4 tuner,tvaudio,bttv,i2c_algo_bit

ir_common 3908 1 bttv

videodev 9472 3 bttv

soundcore 8608 6 snd,bttv

And as BVC states, there should be a "Load v4l" in the Section "Module" of your XF86Config-4.

Guest kuchwas
Currently though I'm kind of stuck with the Mandrake 2.4 kernels as theres a bug in gcc 3.3.1 that was included in Mandrake 9.2 which stuff's up K6-2's produce bad Machine code. So until Cooker gets a new version I'm kind of stuck with 2.4 as I can't be bothered trying to compile gcc 3.3.2 which fixes the problem. And I can't be bothered using the Mandrake versions (to Bloated).

It's your happy day! :D

Time to break something else!

-=-=-=-

Name : gcc Relocations: (not relocateable)

Version : 3.3.2 Vendor: MandrakeSoft

Release : 2mdk Build Date: Tue Dec 16 16:49:49 2003

Install Date: (not installed) Build Host: no.mandrakesoft.com

Group : Development/C Source RPM: (none)

Size : 26356066 License: GPL

Signature : (none)

Packager : Gwenole Beauchesne <gbeauchesne@mandrakesoft.com>

URL : http://gcc.gnu.org/

Summary : GNU Compiler Collection

Description :

A compiler aimed at integrating all the optimizations and features

necessary for a high-performance and stable development environment.

This package is required for all other GCC compilers, namely C++,

Fortran 77, Objective C and Java.

Guest kuchwas

Ohhhhhh! Double trouble! Gcc 3.3.2 and XFree86 pre 4.4 B)

-=-=-=-

Name : XFree86 Relocations: (not relocateable)

Version : 4.3.99.901 Vendor: MandrakeSoft

Release : 1mdk Build Date: Tue Dec 16 06:01:41 2003

Install Date: (not installed) Build Host: no.mandrakesoft.com

Group : System/XFree86 Source RPM: (none)

Size : 43544682 License: MIT

Signature : (none)

Packager : Frederic Lepied <flepied@mandrakesoft.com>

URL : http://www.xfree86.org/

Summary : Part of the XFree86 implementation of the X Window System.

Description :

If you want to install the X Window System on

your machine, you'll need to install XFree86.

-=-=-=-

Frederic Lepied <flepied@mandrakesoft.com> 4.3.99.901-1mdk

- first pre 4.4

-=-=-=-

I just installed 2.6.0-0.5mdk-i686-up-4GB kernel on my laptop (2.66 GHz Intel) and so far I'm impressed. I can't really say that it is much faster, but I can say that USB2 must be working right because my USB mouse suddenly became way more responsive. I'm having a hard time getting used to it.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Guest kuchwas
I guys,

Interesting topic.

I have a running cooker with 2.6.0, but didn't know how to make the nvidia drivers work.

Will try that soon.

@++

V

Get the README and .diff from www.minion.de. It is easy if you follow the readme instructions.

@kuchwas

Yeah I noticed cooker gcc3.3.2-1 the day it came out it allowed me to compile some apps and the 2.6 kernel but the kernel would not work when I tried booting it various errors that drove me crazy. then yesterday Noticed gcc3.3.2-3 was on cooker and the change log listed fixing some errors that were stuffing up kernels. So I installed it along with Mandrakes 2.6.0-1 kernel source (supermount and every thing there :)) and the Cooker 2.6.0-1 kernel and the updated dependences (new module-init-tools, mkinitrd etc) and then configured the Mandrake sources and compiled. Booted into it loaded perfectly :D used links to get the nvidia 2.6 patches and the latest nvidia drivers. Installed them. gdm-restart and I'm in fully working 2.6.0 with supermount and Nvidia drivers! B)

It's nice like the earlier versions Id played with but more stable (no hangs yet). the only problem Is that xmms using esd tends to skip abit now. Apart from that It's nice. Mozillafirebird 25 open tabs I can switch between them with out having to wait for 2-3 secs for the new webpage to be redrawn. Also 25 pages open in tabs and It's not even used the swap file! :D

Linux Falcdragon 2.6.0-1csh #2 Tue Dec 23 01:26:30 NZDT 2003 i586 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

Edited by Falcdragon