#USB storage -- for my Sd card reader
usm-storage

#Mouse device driver -- it helps
mousedev

#Ps/2 Mouse -- no more!
#psmouse

#USB mouse -- i use this now
usbmouse

The modules for USB are pretty obvious, add usbcore then add other device drivers as needed.

iphitus

Guest kuchwas
Call me dumb, but I cannot find it on any mirror site. Can someone give me a link please??

Did you look at the cooker mirror list at the bottom of the Cooker site I posted above?

Or use Easy urpmi and add them to your urpmi resources. Kernel 2.6.0 in in contrilbs, not main, I'd recommend a cooker plf feed as well....

Edited by kuchwas

Guest kuchwas
Yea I finally found it but gees, it's not that straight forward is it???

Thanks kuchwas. I'll give it a go and report back.

Cooker is not meant to be easy, when my machine breaks, noone will tell us how to get it back. It's what we do that gives users a (hopefully) easy setup when it's all done. Half of what comes through in cooker is not even rpms to install. Many are patches to apply, rebuild the app, and try, try, try again. :wall:

I've just spent the last hour and a half finding out what I installed today that kept Moz-Firebird from loading after the last boot. Gaaaaaaa!

:angry:

Guest kuchwas
Can you tell me this???

I can't install the 2.6 kernel because it says it needs "Udev" I can't install Udev because it says that I have the wrong kernel version installed!!!!

How can I break this circle??

Besides Udev, you will need Sysfsutils, libsysfs, module-init-tools to meet all dependencies!

as kuchwas said, use urpmi

Exactly. The only way to avoid dependency hell....

B)

Guest kuchwas

Well, I have to tell you, this is really rock and roll!

USB works for everything, thanks to udev and the newest hotplug patches. Clie, Zaurus, memory card reader (without supermount or manual mount/umonut).

Have the nVidia binary driver working, thanks to the minion.de patch for the kernel driver, had to switch YANC to nvidia agp driver from kernel agp driver....

ASLA 9.7 driver in kernel. I have been able to install ALSA 1.0.0pre3 on kernel 2.4.22-21.tmb.2 and 2.4.23-0.1, but not 2.6.0-0.1. Building modules is very different right now than for 2.4 kernels.

Next try is to get the bttv .9 drivers to compile if I can. It is in the 2.4.23-0.1 kernel is really makes TVTime and XawTV tremendously cleaner.

Only thing so far on my box that does not work is the PC speaker. I think I can live without it...

:D

Tim

Guest kuchwas

Bookmark this site! Easy URPMI

Again, MAKE A BACKUP! You might make your computer unusable by adding this kernel and all required dependencies!

I highly recommend Partition Image http://www.partimage.org; You can dowload a recovery iso there and make a CD. Now, make an image of your drive and burn it to bootable CDs, before you start. JUST IN CASE!

I got these by filling in the Easy Urpmi site choosing "cooker" as the distro. MandrakeSoft is in Paris, and I've found this feed most reliable and quickest for cooker rpms:

Type these into a terminal as root:

urpmi.addmedia COOKmain ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux...6/Mandrake/RPMS

with ../base/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia COOKcontrib ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux...el/contrib/i586

with ../../cooker/i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz

urpmi.addmedia COOKplf ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/plf/...mandrake/cooker

with hdlist.cz

Then "urpmi kernel-2.6.0-0.1mdk"

Tell it yes to all the dependencies or your machine may not boot!

"urpmi hotplug" or your usb stuff may not work!

This kernel supports frame buffer, so the default lilo setup should be fine. Reboot to the kernel, cross your fingers and pray! B)

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A WAY TO RECOVER IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG!

If it works like any other rpm install of the kernel for mandrake then even if something goes wrong you should be able to boot to your old kernel by making sure that you have the right entries at lilo or grub...

Unless it does drastical changes and you have no way of recovering...

What was your experience kuchwas???

Did the update keep the old vmlinuz and initrd in the boot dir???