2.6 Kernel

Peppercorn

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o ml amazes me. No mouse.....not usb....ps2/IMPS. Tried all the diff ps2's with mousedrake....no mouse

/dev/psaux

/dev/mouse

are broken symlinks, and

/dev/input/mouse

no loger exist.

the trouble ml has with mice has always amazed me. I have never had a single prob with any other distro.

yes slr, the old kernel configs remain.

Everything else seems great. The boot seems a little faster, I don't get all the boot failers I did months ago. Seems snappy but it's kinda hard to tell if I can't run X because of no mouse. I know there are ways but no thanks.....I just want a simple mouse. Sheesh :zzz:

Guest kuchwas
Then "urpmi kernel-2.6.0-0.1mdk"
didn't work.

I had to go gui/mcc/rpmdrake --install

Hmmmm. I do all my updates via cli; only use rpmdrake to switch sources; I think 23 (have 4 of each, 12 total, for cooker alone, around the far flung corners of the globe).

Might have something to do with this a full cooker box, minimal kde & gnome; I use fluxbox and ice wm, testing some new plug-ins in xfce4.

New perl and qt3 are giving us all dependency fits.

If anyone playing with this wants, patches for NVIDIA drivers are at http://www.minion.de/nvidia.html

Let me know how it runs.

Guest kuchwas
:o ml amazes me. No mouse.....not usb....ps2/IMPS. Tried all the diff ps2's with mousedrake....no mouse

/dev/psaux

/dev/mouse

are broken symlinks, and

/dev/input/mouse

no loger exist.

the trouble ml has with mice has always amazed me. I have never had a single prob with any other distro.

yes slr, the old kernel configs remain.

Everything else seems great. The boot seems a little faster, I don't get all the boot failers I did months ago. Seems snappy but it's kinda hard to tell if I can't run X because of no mouse. I know there are ways but no thanks.....I just want a simple mouse. Sheesh :zzz:

It's now mousedev, thanks to udev. :D

Guest kuchwas
I do urpmi/cli too, but I didn't want a 2.6-test from one of your sources which is all urpmi would offer, I wanted a 2.6.0. The only way was to select it from a gui tick in rpmdrake. I didn't see mousedev....let me look....thanks....I was about to hit google.

Did you load hotplug?

It should load eveything just before modules. If not add it to modprobe.preload in /etc.

I believe I've removed hotplug as I do not use usb. It wouldn't have anything to do with ps2 mouse would it?

When I boot to ml/2.6 /dev/input is empty. If I check ml's /dev/input from suse it's loaded with mouse stuff, but no mousedev anywhere even in /dev.

I see at boot that Devfs starts. Should it? Is udev a service so that I should disable devfs and enable udev at boot?

Sorry for the questions but I just haven't taken the time to read up on all this new, cool, stuff lately.

[EDIT]

Oh, I see...

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/1029

I see at boot that Devfs starts. Should it? Is udev a service so that I should disable devfs and enable udev at boot?

in all the reading i have done on udev i just would not even bother with it. it far to lame to get anything done. i cannot believe they would not mark udev as experimental and just keep devfs as the main option for now. when i used 2.6 i skipped udev support altogether and just used devfs and i had no issues.

you do have to make sure that you include /dev/pts and edit your fstab to use it.

mind you this has nothing to do with your issues. likely having both udev and devfs loading is causing problems.

Guest kuchwas
i cannot believe they would not mark udev as experimental and just keep devfs as the main option for now.

This is Cooker stuff we are playing with.....

udev=experimental

boil and bubble

toil and trouble

Did you hate Redhat Package Manager technology when it was developed? I remember all of us geeks knew that it was the downfall of Linux....

I believe I've removed hotplug as I do not use usb. It wouldn't have anything to do with ps2 mouse would it?

So far in cooker ml, everyone who has lost their mouse needed to have it identified as mousedev, and hotplg does manage it now. The test kernels in ml did not use udev, this is the first 2.6 kernel that does. Ahh, now I see you found it.

Devfs and Udev are both loaded; devfs id kernel control, udev is userspace control. I had to change my radio to /udev/radio0 from /dev/radio0 to work. Had to add bttv to modprobe.preload to get TVTime to work with my tv capture card.

When I boot back to a 2.4 kernel (to test and compare), all devices pointed at /udev/* still work.

After 24 hours, I'm changing lilo now to this 2.6.0-0.1 kernel as default.

Tim

i cannot believe they would not mark udev as experimental and just keep devfs as the main option for now.

This is Cooker stuff we are playing with.....

udev=experimental

boil and bubble

toil and trouble

Did you hate Redhat Package Manager technology when it was developed? I remember all of us geeks knew that it was the downfall of Linux....

So far in cooker ml, everyone who has lost their mouse needed to have it identified as mousedev, and hotplg does manage it now. The test kernels in ml did not use udev, this is the first 2.6 kernel that does. Ahh, now I see you found it.

Devfs and Udev are both loaded; devfs id kernel control, udev is userspace control. I had to change my radio to /udev/radio0 from /dev/radio0 to work. Had to add bttv to modprobe.preload to get TVTime to work with my tv capture card.

When I boot back to a 2.4 kernel (to test and compare), all devices pointed at /udev/* still work.

After 24 hours, I'm changing lilo now to this 2.6.0-0.1 kernel as default.

Tim

ah no you mistook what i said i was not referring to mandrake developers putting udev in the kernel ... i was talking about kernel developers having udev in the kernel.

RPM....i came around after the advent of RPM. i quickly grew tired of it. RPM is and always will be a less intelligent means of packaging up a binary. now they are trying to make RPMs do more than it was ever designed for and it just is not working. RPM is old tech and should be retired.

udev is a good concept and is functional to an extent but it needs work and as such it should be marked in the kernel config setup as expiremental and despite the cooker being an expiremental part of MDK i think it is very cavalier of them to use udev at this time. but i kind of expect that from mandrake as they are infamous for bells and whistles while functionality takes a hit. that is why i gave up on mandrake shortly after i started with it.

actually i think it is high time the kernel developers started separating out expiremental features of the stable branch kernels (of course this comment does not apply to 2.6 test kernels). if linux ever wants to hold more than a five-10 percent share of the market they HAVE to start being a little more wise in how they handle kernel development.

cuz she likes us :P

I installed the cooker hotplug

added hotplug to /etc/modprobe.preload as you suggested

d/k if I needed to but for good measure also added mousedev to it and /etc/modules

rebooted and the mouse works! Thank you!

Now I gotta get nvidia going. :zzz:

Guest kuchwas
cuz she likes us :P

I installed the cooker hotplug

added hotplug to /etc/modprobe.preload as you suggested

d/k if I needed to but for good measure also added mousedev to it and /etc/modules

rebooted and the mouse works! Thank you!

Now I gotta get nvidia going. :zzz:

Uh, ok. I was starting to feel baited there.

Get the nvidia patch. It is very straight forward, exactly like the instructions on the site. I got the run0 file by copying the link to the run2, pasted to mozilla, changed the 0 to 2 in the link, hit enter, save to disk. B)

You will like it. Do you use the Option "NvAGP" option in your XF86Config-4? Setting 1 - nvida driver, seems quicker than 3 - auto, and 2 for kernel driver really bogged my cpu.

I don't get it

http://www.minion.de/nvidia.html

On systems with existing NVIDIA driver installations, upgrading from Linux 2.4 merely involves building a kernel module for Linux 2.6.
Either a patch is needed or it's not. The nvidia kernel is linux kernel specific so it makes no sense at all that previous installs would help. Besides, it obviously doesn't. Because I can't get it to work.

The exact matching kernel-source-2.6.0.0 will not install because of a kconfig script conflict with libkconfig.so which are both within the kernel-source itself :o .....ain't that wacked out....they need to remove that puppy til they fix it (it's a new one for me...never heard of that b4). So, I have the kernel-source-2.6.x-test95 or some crap, which may be the prob but shouldn't be because it's still 2.6. The nvidia installer claims that /usr/src/linux/include/modversion.h (a symlink) doesn't exist but it does and it points to the correct dir/file. Maybe this is what the patch is for?

I got the run0 file by copying the link to the run2, pasted to mozilla, changed the 0 to 2 in the link, hit enter, save to disk.
I see no run anything on that site. If it's 'in' a diff, well I'm new to that. Never needed such none sense b4. Unfortunately, nvidia no longer provides src.rpm's (jerks) but I still have an old one. Oh, I've patch many many a_kernel but never needed a diff. :cheeky: ...and this is not my first rodeo with test kernels either. :furious3:

I have ben trying the 2.6 Test kernel for a while now, the first 3 test kernels where quite awful, but with test4 things did worked now, after a while i decided to give a tryout to the test kernels on the contribs, so i installed the 2.6.0-0.9.5mdk (Test 9 i think), but it always blocks mozilla and other apps for a while, that was disappointing, so i downloaded the Test10 from kernel.org unpacked and the next day Test11 was out, Woot! :woot:, ok i patched to Test11, compiled bzImage, modules, modules_install and copied the bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.0-test11, maked the initrd image and added it to lilo.conf, i booted it, and fine, snappy and fast, then i opened Mozilla and... It did block it! :wall::angry:

It blocks any "graphic intensive program" like Mozilla, Gthumb, Gimp, etc. It may be the preemptive option, anyone with this kind of problem?

I read somewhere, in lkml i think, that the preemptive kernels (2.6 test series) have some weird effects on various apps, like blocking.