2.6 Kernel

Peppercorn

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kuchwas
:cheesy:  Got cooker running with Kernel-2.6.0-0.1mdk.

Waiting to find a kernel-source file to load the nvidia driver with.

It should be on the Cooker mirrors 2.6.0-0.2 just released this morning, but is not on the mirriors yet. Did you get the nvidia .diff and readme from minion.de? More in the posts above.

Here's the new stuff in 0.2

- re-support on the fly module building (great for properitary packages)

- 2.6.0-test11q2 :

* lots of mm patches

* import somes 3rdparty and patches : (svetoslav)

* lirc

* at76c503a

* bcm5700

* dfg1394

* dxr3

* iscsi-mod

* lufs

* ov511

* prism25

* prism54

* qc-usb

ALSA 1.0.0-rc1 just released this morning as well. Looks like 2.6.0-0.2 with on the fly module building will be timely.

Edited by kuchwas

Ok lets remember that you are dealing with the Linux challenged. I installed the 2.6 source matching the kernel I have running. I used the minion patches (if you ask me the steps I used slowly I'll try to reply in an intellegent manner). Finally end up at a make install and Im now using the 2.6 kernel with the nvidia driver.

results of glxgears:

32094 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6418.800 FPS

37356 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7471.200 FPS

37350 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7470.000 FPS

37341 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7468.200 FPS

37315 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7463.000 FPS

37340 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7468.000 FPS

37364 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7472.800 FPS

37367 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7473.400 FPS

37352 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7470.400 FPS

37370 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7474.000 FPS

37344 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7468.800 FPS

I frickin amaze myself sometimes.

:cheesy:

OK.... got it!....sheesh :juggle:

On my way home from work I thought..."Duh, you idiot, I bet the vanilla has all the preempt and a lot of the goodies already.....screw an mkd kernel". So that was the plan. Downloaded ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2....-test11.tar.bz2

got to make menuconfig>General setup and have you seen this?

kernel .config support

CONFIG_IKCONFIG:                                                                                                                                                           x   
 x                                                                                                                                                                            x   
 x This option enables the complete Linux kernel ".config" file                                                                                                               x   
 x contents, information on compiler used to build the kernel,                                                                                                                x   
 x kernel running when this kernel was built and kernel version                                                                                                               x   
 x from Makefile to be saved in the kernel. It provides documentation                                                                                                         x   
 x of which kernel options are used in a running kernel or in an                                                                                                              x   
 x on-disk kernel.  This information can be extracted from the kernel                                                                                                         x   
 x image file with the script scripts/extract-ikconfig and used as                                                                                                            x   
 x input to rebuild the current kernel or to build another kernel.                                                                                                            x   
 x It can also be extracted from a running kernel by reading                                                                                                                  x   
 x /proc/config.gz and /proc/config_built_with, if enabled (below).                                                                                                           x   
 x /proc/config.gz will list the configuration that was used                                                                                                                  x   
 x to build the kernel and /proc/config_built_with will list                                                                                                                  x   
 x information on the compiler and host machine that was used to                                                                                                              x   
 x build the kernel.

so I uncompressed /proc/config.gz and saved it as /usr/src/config

rm .config

cp /usr/src/config .config

make menuconfig

and found that the mdk kernel-2.6.0.0 doesn't have preempt enabled :o ...yeah like what's the point, rt? Finished up (don't forget to mkinitrd) and did the nvidia thing with a virgin kernel-2.6

If you wish to install the NVIDIA 1.0-4496 driver on a virgin Linux 2.6
system that doesn't have the user space driver components installed, you
can use a Linux 2.6 compatible version of the official installer:

FAQ: The 1.0-4496 driver release introduces the -pkg# suffix to the .run
file to distinguish between packages with the same driver version, but
with different sets of precompiled kernel interfaces. The -pkg0 file has
no precompiled kernel interface files and was thus chosen here.

You can use other revisions, but need to adapt the package number below.

1) download:

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg0.run       (nvidia)
  NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg#.tar.gz    (minion.de)
  NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4496-2.6.diff          (minion.de)

2) install with a modified installer:

*) # sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg0.run --extract-only
  # cd NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg0
  # tar zxf ../NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg#.tar.gz
  # cd usr/src/nv
  # patch -p1 < ../../../../NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4496-2.6.diff
  # ln -s Makefile.kbuild Makefile
  # cd ../../../..
  # NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg0/nvidia-installer

startx

and here I am. I can tell the diff with the vanilla/preempt. Much more responsive/multitask than the mdk which is contrary to my past experience.

woot :woot:

man the kernel is getting big! 1400KB? Yikes! Of course that's mostly because alsa is included now...about time! I didn't go through it and remove stuff....just wanted it to work and work with nvidia.

Guest kuchwas

Ok, just got 2.6.0-0.2 kernel and kernel-source from the cooker club internet site in france. Cooker had mirror problems for a few days. Just installed, installed nvidia diff, and rebooted. Got get it!

:D

Changelog:

* Thu Dec 04 2003 Nicolas Planel <nplanel@mandrakesoft.com> 2.6.0-0.3mdk

- bk1:

* ide-scsi.c uninitialized variable

* x86 kernel page fault error codes

* lost wakeups problem

* missing initialization of /proc/net/tcp seq_file

- rework merge version.h (now all kernel have UTS_RELEASE defined)

- 2.6.0-test11q2 :

* libata update

* pwc 8.12

* prism54 cvs20031203

* alsa 1.0.0rc1

download>install>boot>vi /proc/config.gz

# CONFIG_PREEMPT is not set

what's up?

Guest kuchwas

Yes, was discussed at length in cooker this morning. Here is the key info from one of the mandrake kernel maintainers:

> Is there a reason for this:

> # CONFIG_PREEMPT is not set

> ?

i think it comes from the -mm tree

it seems preempt causes some nasty problems

you probably can find some answers here:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=1069701745...4500002&r=1&w=2

/end quote

I've had it running since yesterday afternoon, don't notice much difference from .2mdk. Did learn that I had to enable acpi or 2 was a dog. I'd had it off in all lilo configs before. I do like the alsa 1.0.0rc1 built in, has given me more sound control with my card. No problems that I have found (no pc speaker beep) and no bad reports in bugzilla or cooker ml. We''ll see what weekend testers find!

Hi I'm back again after spending the last four days getting a network together. I've still got the mail server to setup. Boy this proved to me how much I don't know!!!

Now with the 2.6 kernel.

I have everything working except the nvidia 3d driver!

I d/l everything and read the readme. But upon "make install" I got a warning something like

"This kernel has been compiled with a different compiler than this driver. If you know what you are doing use the ignore_CC_Mismatch option"

I tried that too but it just plugged out a whole lot more options that I could use.

Any answers???????????????????????????

If you read my signature you will then understand the type of newbie that I am!!!!!!!!!

I tried the -export IGNORE thing, and it did blurb out a heap of stuff on the screen but the majority of what I could read made me feel that it did not succeed!

Anyway I changed the driver source in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to "nvidia"

BUT

x couldn't start because of an incorrect nvidia module setup or something top that effect

Have I made an obvious blunder or do you have any ideas as to what I might do from here????

2.6 is a LOT faster on my machine! You should see how fast I'm typing now just trying to keep up!!!

anytime I ever got that error 'export.....' worked. That was on standard mdk kernels though. As you can see above the only way I got nvidia to work was with a vanilla kernel compile. I never tried with the 2.6.0-0.3mdk because after running it I found the vanilla a little better. So, I d/k what to tell ya other than to do what I did. It's really not that hard. I'll review my above post and maybe add details if needed so you or anyone else and do the same. Any other details will have to be asked or gotten from the FAQ or google ;)

I've attached the mdk kernel-2.6.0-0-2 config. Save As config and as root put it in /usr/src (preempt is enabled).

Adjust versions and paths as necessary.

For the kernel tarball, download it to, or as root put it in

/usr/src

cd /usr/src

ls (to be able to see it to copy and paste its full name)

tar -xzvf linux-2.6.0-test11.tar.gz

ln -s linux-2.6.0-test11 linux

now you should have a /usr/src/linux that point to /usr/src/linux-2.6.0-test11. find out with;

file /usr/src/linux

cd linux

make mrproper

copy /usr/src/config .config

make menuconfig

make bzImage

make modules

make modules_install

check the /usr/src/linux/Makefile for the EXTRAVERSION= value at the very top. If it says

VERSION = 2

PATCHLEVEL = 6

SUBLEVEL = 0

EXTRAVERSION = test11

then

cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.0-test11

cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.0-test11

cp .config /boot/config-2.6.0-test11

then

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.0-test11.img 2.6.0-test11

this is gotten from /lib/modules/2.6.0-test11

reboot and do nvidia