Red Hat Tells Customers: 'No More Freebies'

Oh.. I think it's both good and bad for linux. Good in that the community will have more say in what will be developed in Fedora. Bad in that we don't know how good Fedora support is. Will it have an u2date system like RH before? Will it have updated patches for certain releases of Fedora without upgrading the entire distro ala debian? etc etc etc.

IMHO up2date was made redundant with the creation of apt4rpms...

It'll be interesting to see where this goes, it could be the distro we've all been waiting for. I've been using RH9 with apt for a while now and enjoying it, the Fedora project will take this approach to RH to the next level and get official support.

Until then, I'm giving gentoo a second chance. If I could just get X to stop freezing!!

Up2date will still exist, in fact there will be several different RPM groups on the servers - fedora core and then a series of other types (such as free contributions etc), reminds me a lot of Debian.

RH are going to take the best bits from fedora and base their enterprise product on it.

I'm famous again!  Well, Eugenia Loli-Queru seems to hate my name so, semi famous.

http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=5016

That's twice she chopped my name off.  maybe I should change it, it must be as stupid as I thought it was.

:(

Ah, figured out why she puts "jackle"

I sent my self an e-mail and that is what it is set to :wall:

Oh.. I think it's both good and bad for linux. Good in that the community will have more say in what will be developed in Fedora. Bad in that we don't know how good Fedora support is. Will it have an u2date system like RH before? Will it have updated patches for certain releases of Fedora without upgrading the entire distro ala debian? etc etc etc.

I read that Ximian will support Fedora with Red Carpet, which IMO is better than up2date anyway.

good to know you don't make a habbit of sending yourself emails :lol:

if I knew you needed to know....I would have told ya "Jackle" :P

Actually I do, just never paid attention. :jester:

Before anyone thinks I have to many personalities, I just don't like to send my yahoo account emails from work. So when I find something I want to keep in email or send home, I just send my self an email.

Falls under that whole paranoid work watches everything on the servers and know need to include my real name with my internet name. B)

I know, I need :help: cause I'm a bit :screwy:

:lol2:

I send myself email all the time.  Just little reminders, todo\s etc. 

I have a webmail extension to my mail server at home so often I just fire it up and send a mail directly to myself on the same account. 

Didn\t realise that made me  :screwy:

I think :bvc: and I were just jokeing around?? Like yourself, I send reminders too.

I was always hoping the Linux companies would try to make money by charging business users (maybe by providing a high end paid only version) and keep a home use free version.

Well maybe thats what Fedora is... maybe not. I don't think so. Why would the community support Fedora, which RedHat will use to support development of its commercial only versions.

Maybe time to jump back to Mandrake. Am running Windows 2000/Firebird/OpenOffice right now. Got a copy in 2001 and it will be supported till 2008. Am not sure I want to get back to installing a new version evey six months.

Who knos, though if Federa gets so good... maybe it might backfire on RedHat.

Edited by ral