• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm trying to watch anything on this page:

BBC

For some unknown reason I'm not getting enough bandwidth from the BBC to watch video at my location today, although I have watched it here before.

To test your realplayer with mine go to:

http://beelinetv.com/

and click on the first Real link, it's Albanian TV, A1 TV. This is an rtsp protocol, and it is working perfectly for me right now.

For the record, I've never watched Albanian TV, because I don't understand Albanian. :rolleyes:

Also for the record, your Firefox and it's plugins are giving me a headache! :wacko:

No. Nothing at all. Firefox and it's plugins is giving me a real headache too...as is Mandriva. Isn't there an easier way into Linux? I'm really motviated 'cause I hate Windows but this is just too much of a pain in the rear!!!

Right Jim. For the BBC site you need mplayer. Install mplayer-plugin for firefox and also install win32codecs. Now you should find in your /home/.mozilla/plugins all the plugins you need. This definitely works with the BBC I have just been and watched the news.

OK, there's definitely a problem here. I can't urpmi things that I had installed before. It is up to date, I've checked that several times today, and I have all the sources checked in easyurpmi. But...

Xsane - doesn't exist, apparently

Xmame - impossible to find the dependancies

and now, yeap you got it, mplayer plugin.

What's going on here??? It all worked fine last time I tried.

In fact, last time I DID get mplayer working, although it was very slow (I posted a thread about this yesterday). I used instructions on a very good French site: Lea - installation of a complete system

Now, when I follow exactly the same procedure I get...NOTHING.

Here is what happens when I try to download the mplayer pluging and dependancies:

[root@main james]# urpmi libnspr4
The package(s) are already installed
[root@main james]# urpmi libvbe0
no package named libvbe0
[root@main james]# urpmi libdvdnav4
no package named libdvdnav4
[root@main james]# urpmi libenca0
no package named libenca0
[root@main james]# urpmi libfribidi0
no package named libfribidi0
[root@main james]# urpmi lirc
Some requested packages cannot be installed:
lirc-0.8.1-0.20060722.4.2mdv2007.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied setserial)
Continue installation anyway? (Y/n) n
[root@main james]# urpmi lrmi
no package named lrmi
[root@main james]# urpmi portaudio
no package named portaudio
[root@main james]# urpmi mplayerplug-in
no package named mplayerplug-in
[root@main james]#

Jim I suggest using mcc until you get more familiar with urpmi. You are doing the same thing but with a GUI which at this stage is better for you I think.

Yes, I agree.

You would also need to install the real-codecs to use mplayer on the BBC site.

It's working now, I didn't have the bandwidth earlier... I'm watching it with Realplayer.

I've tried watching rtsp with both the mplayer (with real-codecs) and realplayer, and on my system I have a better picture with realplayer.

OK, point taken, but what about the dependancies? And what about the other stuff? When I write Xsane in MCC I get no result.

Here's another. I have in MCC vdr-plugin-mplayer - is this the plugin? But I can't select it because:

Sorry, the following package(s) can't be selected:

vdr-plugin-mplayer-0.9.15-2mdv2007.0.i586 (due to missing vdr-1.4.6-1mdv2007.0.i586)

So, a trip to urpmi gives me this:

[root@main james]# urpmi vdr
Some requested packages cannot be installed:
vdr-1.4.6-1mdv2007.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied ccp[*][>= 0.4.1])
Continue installation anyway? (Y/n)

What do I do here?

I have in MCC vdr-plugin-mplayer - is this the plugin? But I can't select it because:

If I read your post correctly, are you asking if this is the correct plugin you need to play files in firefox. If my assumption is correct then the answer is no.

There should be a package named 'mplayerplugin-3.25-2mdv20070.0' which is the correct one. As for why xsane is not showing up I'm not sure. One of the differences between urpmi and the mcc is dependencies, mcc is pretty good at listing and selecting dependencies. It's not perfect but the guys sure are working on it.

When things start getting a bit rough just take a step back, perhaps sleep on the subject and more often that not things become a little clearer. ;) I have solved many problems this way.

Edited by SilverSurfer60

Ha! I think I know the problem! And I'm an idiot! The French ahve an expression that goes something like sleep brings wisdom. I slept on the problem and I think I found the answer on waking up. I had to set up the backports yesterday to get Firefox 2. Urpmi must now be looking only for backports - I should have reset the official source too. Thing is, I think I need yet another reinstall - I think I made a lot of cock-ups yesterday. That's what happens when you spend the whole day on a problem. I'll start tonight and let you know how it goes. Still haven''t solved the Realplayer problem though.

Thanks for you patience.

If you get to read this before re-installing I will give you my method for doing this and you can do the same or go your own way. I find the way I do it the best for me, but as with anything in Linux there are more ways than one to do things and you may have a way that is more comfortable for you. ;)

To re-install I use the three cd set as I don't have a dvd writer, which ever way you install at first carry on. Once installed my second task is to replace all my sources with the urpmi ones as per website and update with

urpmi --auto --auto-select

This action along with the install takes roughly 1hr 30mins. I don't have to bother changing anything after that as all the sources are available when needed. Included backports, plf the lot.

Only when I have a good running system do I start to change things. Update Firefox to the latest is usually my first step, and then bits I forgot to install or they weren't available before updating my sources. Obviously some of the process can be moved around to suit your needs but I would suggest first :-

Do the install then

Do the update

And then do what you need after that.

You should finish up with a nice new shiny running system.

If after this you want to install something and it appears there is a problem then come back here and ask before getting in a knot. Usually canceling an install will not corrupt your system. I know occasionally it's too late and the application or whatever gets installed and then one finds out a problem, thats the way things go.

That's all very good advice. Thanks a lot Silversurfer - I'll follow it to the letter. Actuallly, the computer is right now doing the URPMi configuration thing, whatever it does during that hour and a half after you've copied those URPMI commands in a terminal.

There was definetely a problem with my URPMI settings yesterday. Now that I'm cool and calm B) I can hazzard a guess as to what happened. It was far too fast - at the time I disregarded this small detail - and so I wonder whether the URPMI database got locked when I first did the procedure. This means that after I set it up for the backports, which went well, all I could get afterwards was backports because it didn't go as it should the first time I tried. Does that make sense?

I'll follow your suggestion and post a problem as soon as it comes - iI promise! :angel:

Once again, a big thank you to everyone. :thanks:

Just a note to avoid confusion, MCC uses a front-end to urpmi. They are one and the same. You can use either one, but there are no differences between them. The choice is gui or cli. If the depends are not working, then your sources are mis-configured. There should always be main, contrib, updates, plf-free, and plf-nonfree. If you are using cooker(Mandriva 2007 Spring), the sources are different, there are at least 8 of them, and you must update them daily before installing any software. ;)

Beginners should think twice before using cooker. :P

I certainly won't be using cooker! I'm setting now the sources - but this time I won't include cooker. Last time I did it, I was just followinf a guide - I didn't know what I was really doing. I've learned a thing or two since then! :lol: