Re-installed Mandriva 2007.0 but... [solved]

Jimtim

OK, I've finished! Everything works very well and I didn't have any trouble finding packages. However, one problem (or rather two problems) remain:

1) I didn't have any difficulty installing Realplayer this time - it went exactly as it should. However, it still doesn't actually run. When I click on a link, nothing happens.

2) Ditto for Mplayer. It's correctly installed but doesn't want to play anything. I should add that I have downloaded and installed the Mplayer plugin.

Is there some sort of link problem here? I'm tempted to try linking things in /mozilla-firefox/plugins, but I don't want to botch anything up. So, as promised Silversurfer :D , I've posted a message before attempting anything.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's see if we can sort this out for you Jim.

I have just this afternoon re-installed all my Firefox and RealPlayer so that I could start from scratch, a good exercise. Firefox has in fact taken a step backwards with regards to plugins, that is the plugins are now kept in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.1/plugins which is where they kept them before. So in that folder you should have at least libnullplugin.so and libunixprintplugin.so now, RealPlayer has it's plugins in a folder /usr/local/RealPlayer/mozilla and there are two files in there nphelix.so & nphelix.xpt

Firefox keeps track of these by using a file of it's own in your /home/.mozilla/firefox

I have been able to watch BBC news from the BBC website with this configuration the only odd thing I had to do was to launch the video in a freestanding window. I was not able to use mplayer with the BBC as the site would not connect. I think that is problem with the site.

The school teacher says you may proceed now. ;)

I know it looks a lot to understand but most of it you don't really need unless you want to know. Linking is not a disaster usually but moving things about could well be. It sounds like you have everything in place so good luck.

We have a result at last! :g-balloon::banana::b-balloon::r-balloon: Thank you Silversurfer, your reply helps me to understand what's been happening. However, :huh: we're not quite there yet:

I followed your instructions, and on doing so I noticed that there were three mozilla folders: one called mozilla-firefox 1.5.0.7, one called mozilla 2.0.0.1 and another called simply mozilla. This last was, it appears, created by Java. It's in here that you make the link between Java and Firefox - and not in the mozilla-firefox file directly. So, when I opened this file I saw, along with the link to Java, the two Realplayer links that you mentioned in your last message. It seems, then, that when I install Realplayer, the link is made here, which is not where it should be. So I made a link in the plugins folder in mozilla-firefox 2.0.0.1 and...it works! Or nearly!

I say it only nearly works because when I click on a video link on the BBC website, mplayer is automatically started - but it doesn't read anything. I have no way of getting it to use Realplayer, apart from copying the URL of the clip I want to watch in open location in the file tab in Realplayer. What I need to know now, then, is:

1) How to prevent Mplayer from starting. I would usually use open with and choose Realplayer, but this isn't possible as open with only permits Movie Player (which I presume is Mplayer) and there is no way of choosing anything else.

2) Mplayer doesn't start when I go to websites that only use Windows Media player, for example NME.com. All I get is the message No picture and nothing happens. This is strange because it did work last time, although it didn't work very well, and I have followed exactly the same procedure as before.

I say it only nearly works because when I click on a video link on the BBC website, mplayer is automatically started - but it doesn't read anything. I have no way of getting it to use Realplayer, apart from copying the URL of the clip I want to watch in open location in the file tab in Realplayer.

The solution:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?s=&...st&p=304060

I've done exactly as you say but it still doesn't work. When I go back to the link that you posted to Albanian television I get the following message:

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (rtsp) isn't associated with any program.

I didn't get this message last time I tried.

I really believe I could get Realplayer to work with the BBC if I could use the command Open with. This worked with Realplayeer 8 beofre I re-installed the OS, but this time the only programme listed is Movie Player and there is no browse button and nowhere I can type in the porgramme location. Is there a terminal command line I can use ?

You can find out where realplayer binary got installed by running in a terminal e.g.

locate realplayer

It will list all the directories and files associated with realplayer and thus show you if it got installed in /usr/bin/ or somewhere else. A bit faster than checking every single directory with konqueror.

It seems that there is no database generated yet. Run as root

updatedb

then run the locate-command again. If that fails, then you probably haven't installed the locate/slocate package yet. :juggle:

Right. Now we have:

[root@localhost james]# updatedb
/usr/bin/slocate: option requires an argument -- l
[root@localhost james]# locate realplayer
/home/james/.realplayerrc
/usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/realplayer.png
/usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32/apps/realplayer.png
/usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/scalable/apps/realplayer.svgz
/usr/share/icons/mono/scalable/apps/realplayer.svgz
/usr/share/icons/kdeclassic/16x16/apps/realplayer.png
/usr/share/icons/kdeclassic/32x32/apps/realplayer.png
/usr/share/apps/kappfinder/apps/Multimedia/realplayer.desktop
[root@localhost james]#

Yes arctic is right here I forgot about those commands and the db. However jim is quite new at this sort of thing and I was trying to get the RealPlayer working as this is one application that he needs. I can almost guarantee that /usr/bin/realplay does exist and works.

Go with whatever you feel comfortable with Jim, you can always experiment when you have things running.

There are some very knowledgeable people in these forums, with much more knowledge on Mandriva than I have.

I have found the following shell script (link):

/usr/bin/realplay

When I click on it, Realplayer starts.

I have looked again in usr/local/bin, this time with the show hidden files option ticked, but there is nothing here.

Now, what I see there is that realplayer did not get installed into the subsystem. Otherwise it would show up in the /usr/local/bin, /usr/bin or /opt directories.

How did you install Realplayer exactly? This is the "normal" way:

wget -c ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/seerofsouls.com/mandriva/official/2007.0/i586/contrib/RealPlayer-10.0.8.805-3.SoS.2007.0.i586.rpm
rpm -i RealPlayer-10.0.8.805-3.SoS.2007.0.i586.rpm
rm -f RealPlayer-10.0.8.805-3.SoS.2007.0.i586.rpm

You can copy and paste this one to your root-terminal.

I followed these instructions: :rolleyes:

Perfect Desktop

I simply downloaded the rpm and double-clicked it.

Will your "normal way" work with Realplayer 10? Do I simply substitute Realplayer 8.0 with Realplayer10? Should I un-install Realplayer 10 first? If so, will rpm -e realplay do the trick?

In the past I experimented to see what would happen. Now I'm very cautious because I think it was my "experiments" that messed up the system! :huh: