Re-installed Mandriva 2007.0 but... [solved]

Jimtim

OK, that's done it! Now I'm really :pissedoff:

I've just spent the entire morning re-installing Mandrvia 2007.0, following these instructions The Perfect desktop. Thanks to Greg2 for this link, it's very good, BUT

1) I cannot now install the new version of Firefox. I've tried updating urpmi using urpmi.update -a, but the only version it will let me download is version 1.5.

So, I tried downloading it from the Mozilla site - I get a tarball. OK, so I compile it, cd where I've put firefox do ./firefox, and that works, but I cannot run it any other way - ie I have to cd where I've put Firefox and do ./firefox everytime I want to load it. Hardly practical.

2) I followed the directions for installing Realplayer (as per instructions in the link above)- it installs, appears on my applications menu, but nothing happens when I click it. Actually, I had this problem before and could only resolve it by downloading Realplayer 8, which doesnt always work.

:wall::cry::pissedoff: :angry2:

I'm getting sick of all these problems! I'm supposed to be using my computer to do my work - but Mandriva 2007 is becoming a full time job in itself!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ie I have to cd where I've put Firefox and do ./firefox everytime I want to load it.

go to konqueror / option settings / type of file txt

then subtype html

then it will list firefox and co being able to be launched for html

in there change the path so the firefox in question is the one in the new path where 2.0.3 is

also you can add a link, or icone on the taskbar to the 2.0.3 version

but Mandriva 2007 is becoming a full time job in itself

I know it is frustrating, but there is a learning curve as well

Realplayer (as per instructions in the link above)- it installs, appears on my applications menu, but nothing happens when I click it

try from a terminal / command line

just type realplayer rtsp://someadreess (this is case sensitive)

or whatever file you are trying to visualize

1) I cannot now install the new version of Firefox. I've tried updating urpmi using urpmi.update -a, but the only version it will let me download is version 1.5.
Mandriva is using a point release cycle meaning the version of software is frozen in release time. You get bug and security fixes for that version but you won't get the newer version. That will only come out in the new release. In Mandriva Spring in this case.

However with the 2007 release Mandriva created the backports repo for those of us who can't wait for the new relase. I don't know if that guide wrote about easyurpmi but if not then go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org follow the steps and add the backports repo. Firefox 2 should be in it. Note that using backports is not supported by Mandriva. It's only there for your convinience. Not that it would break your system cause it's stable software there.

ie I have to cd where I've put Firefox and do ./firefox everytime I want to load it.
Right click on the desktop and create an icon for it. It's basically the same under Windows.

Thank you for your help.

go to konqueror / option settings / type of file txt

then subtype html

Sorry, but I really don't understand this. When I launch Konqueror I do not see /option settings/ anywhere

also you can add a link, or icone on the taskbar to the 2.0.3 version

I've tried this, but it doesn't work. I'll describe what I do:

1) I right click in the task bar at the bottom of the screen

2) I choose add application to panel

3) I choose add non kde application

4) In the dialogue box I choose the path to the excutable, which is called firefox, and then I call it Firefox. A cogwheel appears but, of course, nothing happens when I click on it.

However with the 2007 release Mandriva created the backports repo for those of us who can't wait for the new relase. I don't know if that guide wrote about easyurpmi but if not then go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org follow the steps and add the backports repo. Firefox 2 should be in it. Note that using backports is not supported by Mandriva. It's only there for your convinience. Not that it would break your system cause it's stable software there.

dexter11 is correct, that guide does not include the backports, sorry.

Follow his instructions and add the backports, and you will find mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.1

I am neither good, not patient at giving GUI details

plus have no linux machine in front of me

Am sorry, get some imagination and explore the menus in

konqueror menu edit/option taylor/ tools? do not know the name by heart. Time to do some exploring by yourself, you will learn on the way

I choose the path to the excutable

path + executable is needed

you can try to compare syntax with existing firefox 1.5 icone

Not sure what you are doing wrong, sorry

I don't know what I'd do without this forum :thanks: Actually, I DO know, because I struggled by myself for six months before joining it - I 'd just spend days looking for the solution. Perhaps this is why my system was in such a mess: all my failed attempts at installing this that and the other.

Anyway, Firefox is now working perfectly. Great! Greg, your source is still excellent and I'm following it closely. My only gripe is that Realplayer doesn't install like it says it should - but this might be an issue with my machine as I have tried several times. I've attempted Emmanuel's suggestion, but all I get is:

bash: realplayer: command not found

OK, that's the command! I've got further than I've ever got before with this. Now, if I click on Realplayer in the menu, the player comes up. But, when I try to do something with it, for instance watch a BBC news report, nothing happens. Any ideas?

Open Firefox and type in as a url:

about:config

rightclick somwhere in the main window you now have, and a box will appear.

Choose "new", then "string". Then copy this line into the appearing text field:

network.protocol-handler.app.rtsp

Into the next text field type:

/usr/local/bin/realplay

rightclick again in the main window and choose “new” then "boolean", and copy the line:

network.protocol-handler.external.rtsp

Then set "true"

Close and restart firefox.

Now Firefox will use Realplayer for that protocol.

OK. I've done all of that precisely as laid down but still nothing. When I click on the link, Realplayer pops up but nothing happens. If I press "launch in standalone player" I get a box that says What should Firefox do with this file?. When I try to get it to use Realplayer in open wtih it isn't possible: the only player selected is Movie Player and there is no way of commanding it to open with Realplayer

Not wishing to throw confusion in Jim but I always use helixplayer and real player codecs. It's listed in the mcc so you should have no problem installing it. I use that regularly for watching nasa tv. You can also have media player launch for windows formats just remember to install win32-codecs also in your mcc lists. I use both methods with little problem. If movie player is launching instead of media player then you will have totem player plugin in firefox. Remove it from your ./firefox folder in your home folder. You may well find that all will work as it should.

Best of luck.