Re-installed Mandriva 2007.0 but... [solved]

Jimtim

If you want to do it the safe way, open the MCC, go to system -> software -> remove applications. Uncheck the installed realplayer package. Then install the one that I mentioned as told above. Seerofsouls has some extra-packages that are optimised for and tested with Mandriva, thus they should work. (Well, they work on my lappy)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have just followed your directiions Arctic and RealPlayer does not show up in /usr/local/bin. As I recall it never has and I have been installing it since ver 10 Its always had its own directory in /usr/local/RealPlayer with a script in /usr/bin

I have just installed helixplayer and that does not show up in /usr/local/bin

??? :speechless:

Bloody shit! I guess this will take some time. I dropped my lappy after tripping over a box that was laying on the floor (I am moving household). Great, now the harddrive is dead. :wall: :wall: The rest of the lappy seems to be still okay, but I will have to plug a new hdd into the lappy and reinstall everything. *sigh* :sad:

Not my day...

Sorry to hear that Arctic, about the lappy that is, not moving house.

Anyways on to Jim if your still in the mood. I have been experimenting and found that Artics way of installing puts RealPlayer in /usr/lib/RealPlayer10GOLD/mozilla

To get the whole thing working I finished up putting a soft link in ~/.mozilla/plugins

Linking to nphelix.so & nphelix.xpt. This now puts me back where I was before. So it is my suggestion to do as I have done, that is install Real Player using Arctics method and the link as outlined above. I assume you know how to link, not being rude here. ;)

@arctic, Sorry to here about your lappy, I hope you've 'only' damaged the hd.

@Jimtim, I've just dissembled a RealPlayer-10.0.8.805-3.SoS.2007.0.i586.rpm and it does indeed place the realplay script in /usr/lib/RealPlayer10GOLD/realplay with it linked to /usr/bin/realplay, so /usr/bin/realplay will (should) work.

I have installed Realplayer on my systems with the Realplayer10Gold.bin, and it places the script in /usr/local/bin/realplay, I'm sorry for that bit of confusion.

As SilverSurfer60 has noted: Copy or link nphelix.so to your Mozilla plugins directory and nphelix.xpt to your Mozilla components directory.

I think we're getting there - slowly but surely.

I have downloaded Realplayer by Arctic's method and there ins't a Realplayer binary in /usr/local/bin/. This file remains empty. Should I manually place the Realplayer binary here?

More news, when I put the URL of the clip I want to see in Realplayer it doesn't work anymore :wall: And still mplayer starts when I try to launch Realplayer on the BBC - even though (I hasten to add) I have Realplayer set on the BBC preference page as my default player. Perhaps this is because Realplayer can't be found?

I've just un-installed Realplayer and then re-installed it by double-clicking the rpm package. I now find a realplay script in usr/bin but still nothing in usr/local/bin. Just to make sure, do you agree with this?

As SilverSurfer60 has noted: Copy or link nphelix.so to your Mozilla plugins directory and nphelix.xpt to your Mozilla components directory.

I have downloaded Realplayer by Arctic's method and there ins't a Realplayer binary in /usr/local/bin/.
Executable files only go to /usr/local/bin if you compiled the given program yourself. If you install from a package the executable filr goes to /usr/bin.

Now that is from a member who knows Jim. Thank you Dexter :thumbs:

I've just un-installed Realplayer and then re-installed it by double-clicking the rpm package. I now find a realplay script in usr/bin but still nothing in usr/local/bin. Just to make sure, do you agree with this?

Not quite Jim, because you won't find a Mozilla components in your .mozilla directory. Either copy or link both the files into ~/.mozilla/plugins directory. We are very nearly there. Stay with it and we will win.