For those who have managed the install - first impressions?

phunni

I am gettting closer to the end of my download of 9.1 (although I wouldn't be suprised if my download failed with 1 minute to go!)

I'd be interested to know initial impressions of 9.1 - especially the install phase.

Also - I'm thinking of putting it on my server - how's the networking/server side of things?

Do you like it? :mystismiles:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.. it's simpler than typical mandrake install if you are in the know, but then again I like to tweak everything up to my liking anyway.

So far everything is stable, but I think I am going to downgrade my OpenOffice to 1.0.1 because my word document with tons of outlines are screwed in 1.0.2 but ok in 1.0.1. It's OO.o's fault though, not mandrake.. I heard that 1.1 beta is out.. can't wait for mandrake rpm version of that.

As usual for me, it takes second installation for everything to be perfect.. First installation for me usually have glitches. Second installation is the place where I found the solution to those glitches. :)

Install was faster than previously, and the native look was improved before I loaded my Nvidia stuff. Nvidia compiled and installed without any problems. It was a simpler install. The new kdm is ugly ugly ugly.

I have installed MDK 9.1 when it was labeleld RC3 (thanks to pclinuxonline), and learned that it is final from within. I have been using MDK since 7.x and this one is absolutely perfect. Mandrake simply carries the flag for desktop linux.

Installer is now very professional and functioned perfectly in my case. Fonts look great out of the box(with a simple googling I have improved them further with ms fonts within minutes, too), Mandrake control panel (MCC) has matured, KDE 3.1 is incredible, except from konqueror crashing in some websites but I am sure that will improve with Safari collaboration with Apple. The system is very flexible, and you can fine tune it to the smallest detail according to your taste, which I like most. Icons, fonts, window styles, kicker you name it... You can even change the login manager from MCC. Stability was no issue already in 9.0, and I don't expect it to be otherwise in 9.1.

I see some people complaining about crashes, driver problems etc. Please keep in mind that -almost- all drivers, programs are open source in linux. In windows world, every vendor supports and tests their hardware and programs specifically, and spends I don't know how many man-hours to make them work. Until vendors officially support linux on hardware and software, each distribution tries to do their job, too (in terms of system integration). If we want to linux succeed, we need to be more patient for a couple more years, and use google or look for friendly forums like this instead of "I have paid money, why doesn't this work" attitude. I suspect almost all stability issues are related to some driver, because many people including me have never experienced any stability problems (for desktop usage at least). Not that I have not my share of problems with my sound drivers...

Back to the subject, I would like to thank Mandrake Team and MandrakeSoft for their great work. I would suggest anyone to upgrade. It is definitely worth it.

ta_relax

looks good installs easy

can't compile nvidia drivers 4191

was able to do it for RC1 but not the final with export = IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1

will have to look around for a solution.

Oh yeah, my highpoint ide raid controller works in 9.1 :) i don't use it for raid though just for the 2 extra ide channels

looks good installs easy

was able to do it for RC1 but not the final with export =  IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1

Oh yeah, my highpoint ide raid controller works in 9.1  :)  i don't use it for raid though just for the 2 extra ide channels

Textar compiled it for us!

Here is _my_ how to .. LOL

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...3858&highlight=

HTH

MOttS

looks good installs easy

Oh yeah, my highpoint ide raid controller works in 9.1  :)  i don't use it for raid though just for the 2 extra ide channels

Textar compiled it for us!

Here is _my_ how to .. LOL

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...3858&highlight=

HTH

MOttS

Personally i would like too know why it is not compiling :!: for instance if there is some problem with 4191 and the new glibc that will come and bite me when i wanna play games.

looks good installs easy

Maybe this is anal retentive.. but did you install the kernel-source rpms? kernel-source is not installed by default you know. (alongside with mc, gkrellm, gpm, mysql, etc).

Maybe this is anal retentive.. but did you install the kernel-source rpms? kernel-source is not installed by default you know. (alongside with mc, gkrellm, gpm, mysql, etc).

OOPS :oops:

hey i assumed it was installed as i selected developement option in the package selection, i didn't think to check.

Ok compiles fine then.

OOPS :oops:

hey i assumed it was installed as i selected developement option in the package selection, i didn't think to check.

Ok compiles fine then.

Damn! I posted a bug about that, .... so that still means that if you select to install the development part the kernel sources don't get installed??

This is not good.. I think we'll be telling people all the time to urmpi kernel-source.... ah well...

I'm pretty happy ...

9.0 failed installing on my laptop making initrd (odd thing to fail on :? )

9.1 has gone fine !!! ....

question : what on cd 3 ??? I never installed that coz I only had 2w blank cd's lying around.

Screenshot

incase your interested

Paul - love the wallpaper! :D

I was gutted this mornign as I sat down to try and burn some CDs using the ISOs I downloaded last night. Decided to do a quick checksum - only to discover that CDs 2 & 3 were wrong! doh!

More downloading for me :cry: