For those who have managed the install - first impressions?

phunni

Guest arise

Install worked ok until the XFree setup portion...i couldn't get it to work, so i choose to boot to prompt instead of kdm.

I can't seem to get ADSL to work, i had no problems with it before...i use a Realtek8139B for DSL and onboard LAN (Asus P4PE) for internal networking. I choose NOT to bring the onboard interface up at boot, so i only use the Realtek card.....and yes, the cable is plugged in the right one :P

I rebuilt the Nvidia drivers for my Leadtek Geforce 4 Ti, edited the XFree86-4 file (just changed nv to nvidia, cos Load "glx" is already there), but i cannot get X to start...something with "NVIDIA (EE) cannot find an available display on 0,0...." or something.

Other than that, install worked OK proving my DVD drive read the CDs (duhh), and the onboard sound was detected (dunno if it plays sound yet). Printer HP Deskjet950C USB was detected, so was the MS Intellimouse USB...and the keyboard.

Will pound more this distro from behind, later on today, cos i really think it can do better.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expected 9.1 to fix a lot of the problems I was having...

Instead, not only do I have the same problems as with 9.0, but new sound problems.

What a mess. Anyway, I have said goodbye to Mandrake... Redhat 7.3 is the best version of any distro IMHO... I'm downloading it now.

Here is my farewell post, if anyone cares:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...3912&highlight=

I expected 9.1 to fix a lot of the problems I was having...

Instead, not only do I have the same problems as with 9.0, but new sound problems.

What a mess. Anyway, I have said goodbye to Mandrake... Redhat 7.3 is the best version of any distro IMHO... I'm downloading it now.

Here is my farewell post, if anyone cares:http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=3912&highlight=

Don't go yet!

I will check out dvd playing tonight with mplayer.

my sound blaster live 5.1 was given the audigy drivers on install, simple change to the right ones and working nice for me.

9.1 with kde 3.1 seems really responsive too me.

I am very happy with this release.

I haven't installed on desktop yet. Just on laptop.

I hate that installer it's awfull individual package selection took so long I gave up.

Install went OK but slow. 3 hours! It's a slow machine but I installed 9.0 in about 1hr 15. It took 15 minutes for post install configuration to cease being a blank gray box on screen.

ADSL is working, sound isn't. Open office takes a good 5 minutes to load and characters take a few seconds to appear on the screen. It might be ok on a desktop. But I can't live with that on my laptop. I couldn't work like that. Back to Slackware for Will's laptop.

I have had really bad problems with 9.1 installation (see http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=3863 ). Even though I eventually succeeded, I notice that there are lots of bugs that have been there in the RC1 and RC2 which have not been fixed. In fact, many of the bugs which they claim to have fixed have actually not been fixed. I find 9.0 with texstar's KDE-3.1 better and stabler than the 9.1 release. In fact, 9.1 has some serious kernel bugs that 9.0 never had. For example, the 9.1 kernel cannot mount an ext3 root (/) partition as ext3. It can only mount it as ext2 which defeats the purpose of having / as ext3. Other problems are there too:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=3892

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=3894

I have had really bad problems with 9.1 installation (see http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=3863 ). Even though I eventually succeeded, I notice that there are lots of bugs that have been there in the RC1 and RC2 which have not been fixed. In fact, many of the bugs which they claim to have fixed have actually not been fixed. I find 9.0 with texstar's KDE-3.1 better and stabler than the 9.1 release. In fact, 9.1 has some serious kernel bugs that 9.0 never had. For example, the 9.1 kernel cannot mount an ext3  root (/) partition as ext3. It can only mount it as ext2 which defeats the purpose of having / as ext3.  Other problems are there too:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=3892http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=3894

I will have to check on this when i get home.

I install 2 computers with ext3 as the / partition

Guest joehill
Well - my first impressions aren't great.  The installer nuked my /home even though I asked it not to

OMFG, please tell me you had it backed up...

I would be homicidal otherwise.

I'm afraid that, because I am stupid, I did not back up. However, due to a similar incident recently (note that I stil ldidn't back up - how dumb am I ?) the only unrebuildable thing in /home was my saved wolfenstein game. I guess that's rebuildable by playing to that point again though!

I`m going to put a configuration page on my site, just so next time I`ll know what to do....

Anyway, install went fine, sort of skipped my mouse setting/selection (mx700) but worked fine throughout the install (no scrolling after though).

First boot: lilo offers:

linux-enterpris

linux

inux-nonfb

failsafe

windows

floppy

What is with this enterprise version? Which one is better suited for what??

BTW I`m using that one now anyway. I don`t consider myself a trekkie, but it does sound ok :wink:

Next, I try to type the normal ' (apostrophe) but can't (it`s below ¨ which does work..), it won't come out. I had to copy the ones in that last sentence from somewhere....

For now I work around it like that, or use the ` one left of the 1 key on most keyboards...

The font on evolution and bluefish looks very bad, don`t know what to do about that; the rest looks ok, somehow opera has slightly smaller fonts, but still ok.

ndeb, don`t know what your problem with / is in terms of ext3 or 2, mine gets mounted as ext3 fine; just when it is mounted as read-only it is mounted as ext2, which is perfectly alright imho....

Installing nvidia drivers was easy, noticed that even before that the display setting was quite acceptable, didn`t have the fbdev but nv driver, which worked fine at 1600x1200@75Hz (fbdev wouldn`t give me that res and only do 60Hz; that was in rc1).

I installed the necessary things for dvd playback, on rc1 I had trouble since I was trying to use the d5d plugin for xine, but now I just did urpmi libdvdcss2 and all was well, both in mplayer and xine..

I only have some problems with audio surround playback; kmix is gigantic, and I have no way to get audio from the rear channels. Also in aumix or alsamixergui I have no clue what to do to get sound out of the rear channels.... bummer ....

Maybe I should go back to OSS? Or can anyone tell me how to do it with ALSA and sblive51..?

urpmi is great, installed/configged stuff according to http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/ and it rocks; just added SDLcam (so I can take pics with my webcam etc), octave (using matlab a lot at work since one week, some more practise won`t hurt..), k3b works fine, etcetcetc, so for the rest, quite smooth sailing, so tonight my girlfriends pc will get some new bits to process.

I don`t mind having renewed my subscription!

ndeb, don`t know what your problem with / is in terms of ext3 or 2, mine gets mounted as ext3 fine; just when it is mounted as read-only it is mounted as ext2, which is perfectly alright imho....
What does
cat /proc/mounts | grep root

show on ur system?

I think we have the same situation because, in my case

df -T

shows / to be ext3 but

cat /proc/mounts

shows / mounted as ext2.

Actually, I have found the solution and described it in http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=3892 .

Here we go:

[robert@zurich robert]$ cat /proc/mounts | grep root

rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0

/dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0

[robert@zurich robert]$ df -T

Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/hda6     ext3    7.6G  2.9G  4.3G  40% /

/dev/hda9     ext3    6.0G  4.5G  1.2G  80% /alt

/dev/hda10    ext3    2.1G  461M  1.5G  24% /download

/dev/hda8     ext3     22G   21G  1.1G  95% /home

/dev/hda1     vfat    3.8G  3.6G  302M  93% /mnt/win_c

/dev/hda5     vfat    1.9G  1.8G  191M  91% /mnt/win_d

/dev/hda11    vfat     12G  8.7G  2.8G  77% /mnt/win_e

[robert@zurich robert]$ cat /proc/mounts

rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0

/dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0

none /dev devfs rw 0 0

none /proc proc rw 0 0

none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0

/dev/hda9 /alt ext3 rw 0 0

none /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0

/dev/hda10 /download ext3 rw 0 0

/dev/hda8 /home ext3 rw 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount rw,sync 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat rw 0 0

/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat rw 0 0

/dev/hda11 /mnt/win_e vfat rw 0 0

/dev/loop0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 ro 0 0

So I think you have a problem with your root partition..??

BTW I just managed to fix my mouse, so the extra thumb buttons do forward and backward in browsers etc.

Still not sure on how to fix this keyboard issue..

loadkeys -d doesn`t even work...