The Open Source desktop Myth

fahd

Hi dexter11,

How do you figure that this gives Ulteo a future?

Have we been given enough details about Ulteo to really know? I'd appreciate some links that give more specifics on Ulteo, as what I've read in the past hasn't been much.

Happy New Year!

Richard

Just reading the news on the Ulteo website so I don't know anything for sure either. But from what I gathered it looks llike Ulteo is using a server-client based OS concept. You download an image and install it. They maintain it and you just download the updates.

Ulteo also has a connected desktop which "is going to provide a way to use the Ulteo OS within the web-browser".

That's the problem with new ideas....marketing types get hold of them and "convince" people that they need this or that. Server-Client based OSs / apps are a hot topic now, but if I owned a small business I would NEVER allow someone else to run my OS / apps and / or "keep" my files on a remote server. No way No how!

If the OS or server provider decides to "change" your configuration, options or access or insists that you "owe them" money (for whatever reason), well, they've got your OS, apps and files ......what are you going to do to them from 1200 miles away. Think about the last time you had a disagreement with Ma Bell over the phone bill. Who won? You get the idea.

Large corporations are a different story. The likely hood that a big server farm or OS provider would "screw over" someone like Ford or Exxon or Citibank is pretty slim.

I can't think of any good technical reasons why I would let my OS, apps, and / or files run on someone elses server. I can think of TONS of financial motivations for pushing this idea.

You might consider buying up a few spare hard drives and stocking up on some good distros on cd for a rainy day.

Sorry, I'm old fashioned that way........

Edited by Trio3b

If it's true then Ulteo has a future.

It must have a present first, and for the time being it doesn't.

If it really works the way I wrote which I don't know for sure then I can very easyly imagine a present for Ulteo. Namely componies with a lots of workstations and a few admins. It looks ideal for that. For home computers no thank you. If I'd like to loose control over my computer I could use Windows.

You don't loose control over your computer. The basic install of Ulteo is very much like Ubuntu, and you have all the control you want. It has some added features, the "Connected Desktop" idea, but you don't have to make use of them.

You don't loose control over your computer. The basic install of Ulteo is very much like Ubuntu, and you have all the control you want. It has some added features, the "Connected Desktop" idea, but you don't have to make use of them.

Hi guys!

In Mandriva linux there is a waz to set the network connection type:

MODEM, DSL, ETHERNET, etc.

In Ulteo there is no way to find such connection. Simply because the developers have not thought of the need of DSL. Really it is very weird. Ulteo is still at the beginning of long long time dev. Have a look on microsoft VISTA. It has been deveeloped it for more than 5 years. It will be released in more editions (Home basic, Home prem,Business and Ultimate). Just ask your self, how many people need it all over the world? It is very difficult to get the correct answer. But I am sure that more folk will try to obtain at least one edition to give it a try. That people have already given a try for various linux distros. Unfortunately they always return back to the old, hag Desktop-OS king, Microsoft Windows. We know very well (i am especially convinced) that the servers marketplace is owned by Unix (Linux, FreeBSD). It is very good. But what about the Desktop OS? What a huge mess in Linux world!! Just look how many linux distros are out there. We surely all like the freedom of using softwares. You have the full choice to choose a linux distro you like. All of them strive to make somehow better solutions in favour of their linux supporters (fans). Neither distro has not yet made the promised great Linux Desktop OS. No doubt that the present linux is more user-friendly than it was in the past. Once the folk were allured to linux from ....They will go home and begin using their favourite Desktop-OS. Do not forget, linux is not more a dream (leastwise now). It is a good concept waiting for seasoned developers to make it (exploit) a real Desktop product. Hopefully, once our children or maybe grand children will find the real one. Thanks a lot.

Fahd