Inkjet Printers & Mandrake

mtweidmann

Stpudily I knocked my Lexmark Z32 off the desk last night, which snapped the paper feeder off. Printer still works, but have to stand there and hold the paper for it. Grrrr

So it looks like I need a new printer, and I'm looking for recommendations. Heres what I need:

- Good at producing documents, with some illustrations (main task)

- Speed not that important, as I don't use it too much.

- Work properly under MDK (including colour if pos), with relatively little hassle.

- Fairly cheap (I'm a student)

Any recommendations much appreciated!

I have an Epson Stylus Color 900; it's fast and works well. It wasn't cheap when I bought it, but who knows, it's a 1999 model, so maybe now it is...

The best thing to do is to go to: http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Suppor...d_Printers.php3, and choose the one you want. All Gimp-Print drivers are included in Mandrake, they're good quality, and they work with Cups, LPR...

Yves.

I have an epson stylus color 740, it works great.

I use mainly the gimp to print stuff. (But have used OOo and webbrowsers or pdfviewers.)

Please look around and choose a printer from a company that really supports linux, like epson. I think lexmark is one of the bad guys, they don't open up and give info, there are just proprietary drivers; and nobody knows if they will support them in the future...

Often people underestimate the importance of open source drivers, but imagine this: somebody finds a way to refill the ink on some supposedly protected printer cartridge, and the manufacturer decides that it is no longer worth the hassle of updating the driver, thus forcing the customer to buy something new or not upgrade..

Anyway, lexmark may have turned around, ... in most reviews they score so badly I would never consider those. Canon is a brand that scores quite well, but linux support is nowhere,... hp is said to be ok, but not on older (read secondhand) printers.

Something else to consider: the ink is very expensive, if you don't really need colour you may be able to find great deals on used but good laser printers, I regularly see ~150US$ laserprinters (b/w) that will in the long run be much cheaper than colour inkjets, because the paper is cheaper and the toner is much cheaper.

To give you the possibility of another brand...

Mandrake recognizes immediatley...It is an older printer, but works very well. It can also provide good images. I use it mainly for text and for that, it has also worked well...

A good printer to my opninion and works well. If you'll find it in a shop I don't now...I have it almost 1,5 year I think.

Epson seem to do pretty good support for Linux.

Personally I have an HP 950 Colour Deskjet and I'm very happy with it, apart from the cost of cartridges.

Sometimes it seems it would be cheaper to get a new printer and the cartidges that come with it rather than replace the cartridges alone.

I'm a mature student and short of cash most of the time too but I think I'd buy a laser the next time and save money in the long-run. Colour is the problem though. Inkjets just produce better colours especially if you are into photography.

It was crapola.

Only worked half the time even in Windows. In-laws had same problem.

ZERO linux support.

Even the windows drivers aren't well supported.

My Epson CX3200 is reconginzed as a C62 and works fine.

I wish I could get some cool drivers though, like for simulated duplex printing, even with N-up printing. That would rock.

D

I will also be shopping for a new printer soon and am seriously considering moving up to a laser printer for the reasons already mentioned.

Check out http://www.linuxprinting.org for lots of useful information on selecting a printer to use with Linux.

http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html has some specific reccomendations for brands and models.

regards,

bnc

--

I don't know how things stand now, but I've found in the past that linuxprinting.org is a little outdated, as far as drivers' support and quality are concerned. To me, Gimp-Print has always be the most up-to-date place.

Yves.

Thank for all the advice people!  I have broken my long tradtion of buying Lexmarks, and got an Epson C42UX.  Which worked perfectly first time with MDK.

THANKS!

If you don't know of it already check out mtink, it's on the Kmenu, not sure exactly whereabouts as I am using a Win machine at the mo. Run it as root from a console, with the printer turned on, and it will show the ink levels in each cartridge. I use it with my Stylus C60.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an FYI. MDK 9.1 recognized my HP PSC 950....printer and scanner all on a clean install and it works flawlessly. Just be sure to install Foomatic and hpijs rpms which you can select on installation. It has a built in FAX and copier in the machine that works independently of the OS, so if you want an all-in-one solution, I suggest that HP model. :D