Inkjet Printers & Mandrake

mtweidmann

I run an HP Officejet V40. HP actually supports this model on Linux and has a specific driver for it. This is the best printer I have ever used bar none. I used to be a strict Epson man having used a Stylus Color500, and also an 850 for a long time. The problem I had with Epson is if you don't use them much since you only relace the ink tank and not the print head when replacing cartridges, the heads tend to become clogged and you can never get them right again. If you use the printer every day, this doesn't seem to be an issue. The upside to this is that the cartridges cost less, but I found that I was still using more ink as I had to keep cleaning the heads all the time.

I work for a company with 19,000 users and we use a variety of printers including Lasers and ink jets. Lexmark makes a very good laser but I purchased 2 of their ink jets and returned them before settling on this OJ V40. The best feature on this machine is that you can copy, or fax without the computer even being on (although mine is always up). The quality of the scans and copies is also amazing with this printer, better than any printer/multifunction device I have used, and no I don't work for HP, as a matter of fact I had to bring myself to even try it, but now that I have, I'm hooked. :mystismiles:

Just my $.02

i use an hp 932 which works just fine. my only gripe with printing from mdk is i can't seem to get below 300 dpi, which is a real ink waste for most of what i do. any clues as to how to get faster and coarser printing for drafts. sorry to veer off the thread.

Guest fubar::chi

hp deskjet 5550. bought i think a few weeks after it came out and it worked FLAWLESSLY in 9.1. i didn't even configure the damn thing. mdk did it all. during the install i didn't even install cups packages rebbot my comp and BAM. printer works, didn't mess with printer drake or anything.

I got a;

HP-DeskJet_932C-hpijs-cups.ppd

from http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic2.9/s...HP-DeskJet_932C

There's viewPPD and downloadPPD links near the top. I use cups so I'd also go to the CUPS link;

http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic2.9/cups-doc.html for how to set it up at

the how to use ppd files link http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic2.9/ppd-doc.html

and try to edit the file to what you want the driver to do. You'll have to reconfig the apps and print utils or whatever to use your ppd...there's instructions on this as well (I think). This is as far as I went, but you have a good point about wasted ink. Let me know how it goes. I'm not going to mess with it right now to see if it'll work but I will soon. I'd edit this section of the ppd file.

*OpenUI *Resolution/Resolution, Quality, Ink Type, Media Type: PickOne

*DefaultResolution: 300ColorCMYK

*Resolution 300BestColorCMYK/300 dpi, Best, Color, Black + Color Cartr.: ""

*Resolution 300ColorCMYK/300 dpi, Color, Black + Color Cartr.: ""

*Resolution 300DraftColorCMYK/300 dpi, Draft, Color, Black + Color Cartr.: ""

*Resolution 300DraftGrayscaleCMYK/300 dpi, Draft, Grayscale, Black + Color Cartr.: ""

*Resolution 300GrayscaleCMYK/300 dpi, Grayscale, Black + Color Cartr.: ""

*Resolution 300PhotoCMYK/300 dpi, Photo, Black + Color Cartr., Photo Paper: ""

*Resolution 600BestColorCMYK/600 dpi, Best, Color, Black + Color Cartr.: ""

*Resolution 600GrayscaleCMYK/600 dpi, Grayscale, Black + Color Cartr.: ""

*Resolution 600PhotoCMYK/600 dpi, Photo, Black + Color Cartr., Photo Paper: ""

*Resolution 1200PhotoCMYK/1200 dpi, Photo, Black + Color Cartr., Photo Paper: ""

*CloseUI: *Resolution

You could also bkup and just edit the default ppd in /etc/cups/ppd. Mine's called HP932c.ppd, and I think this is based on what you called the printer at install. If you go this route you won't have to reconfig. :wink:

Just to take back what I said on the first page in this thread about Canon....

last week I installed a system with a Canon S630 and it was autodetected and worked like a charm.

Note that I only printed out a standard (colour) testpage, but it did look ok.

Don't know about the high res quality though. I'll let you know if I have the chance to print a picture on that machine (father in law's machine, normally uses win)..