Talk me out of it

phunni

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lasted 1.5 weeks w/o linux once :cheesy:

It really wasn't planned but it was considered (ditching linux). The plan was just to stay away from the pc. It just so happened that while 98se and xp were still installed, mandrake was deleted in frustration/burnout whatever. When I booted cd1 to install mandrake and saw that first splashscreen....

....aaahhhhhhh :drum: :woops:

OK, after the traditional warning: linux isn't for everyone ... let me relate my XMAS.

oh go-on.... you'll see why.

Last year I asked fro adware and anti-virus since i got my father a new PC and not wanting to force something new on him at his advanced years (and ill health) I left the pre-installed XP.

I got back this year to find it full of viri/malware and pop-ups....

lucky I had a kanotix liveCd I could use for cleaning it...

Then I thought, hey dual-boot. no probs then he is safe on the internet using linux and he was already using opera as a browser.

But after installing and me messing about a bit he asked me how to use GIMP. I was like hey I stuck PSP in windows for digital photo's so you don't need to use linux if you don't want.

But he prefers it:

Its computing like it was meant to be... he said, it reminds him of our first computer a BBC micro where you were encouraged to get down and play ... and even without me prompting he already hated XP? It was just too controlling for him.

Course he went fom Win98 direct to XP... but once I paid £35 for a hardware modem everything worked perfectly ... and I mean everything.

One Cd install .. and he has everything he needed ..I actually tucked away all the menu's I didn't think he'd need but now he wants to know about interfacing a telescope !!!

Seriously, if my old-man is coming at this from a fresh light linux is ready for prime time.

Following up ... I have my mum the same, she has no experience either way and just wants internet. No problem but the biggest surprise is my brother.....

He is long term M$ ... and I gave him a liveCD more out of curiosity than expectation...

except the next morning he asked for an install on his brand new laptop!!!

... to cut a long story short.... it booted perfectly as far as detecting and configuring his IPW2200 wireless ... then detecting his wireless network and connecting... (he lives in the middle of the country in the middle of a field and hadn't used WEP... it connected straight to the internet... He was as amazed as me!

You know arch is development in progress... if you just want something to work then try a just works distro.

If you don't wanna mess then Suse is a no brainer. I personally hate it because of YAST, it goes against everything linux means to me... but it sure works out of the box...I hear 9.2 is even better... (in this respect)

MDK seems to be having a hickup release. The stupid non standard security for a start...and I guess of course the documentation is only for club members ...

Everyone seems veryhappy with Ubuntu ... and I am absolutely amazed with the latest kanotix BH X.

good luck with windows. you will need it. tongue.gif

Definitely. ;)

BTW - it's not source vs rpm for me - pacman is a binary installer. It's not debs either. I just never got on as well with an RPM based distro (and i've tried a few) as I have with a distro that uses something else. Nothing to do with feeling more "expert" it's just my experience of rpms and other packages - I have largely bad RPM experiences and largely good pacman ones (also liked emerge on gentoo - mostly...)

Don't worry, I had bad experiences with compiling source in Mandrake but that didn't stopped me from doing a stage2 Gentoo install. B) As SoulSe told me, all compile errors are fixable.

I'm sure you'll dump windows soon because you see, Linux is like a drug, you try it once than you can't abandon it forever even if you wanted to. :cheeky:

Edited by a13x

Since our good friend is now going to windows, I volunteer (as a Bugtraq subscriber) to forward Windows and IE exploits/security advisories. One of my friends got hit by an IE exploit described in Bugtraq the day before, so it really helps to know.

Btw, linux users, there's a new local root exploit affecting kernels up till 2.4.28, this is not so important for desktop users, but for server admins, please take note.

Edited by arthur

Hi Phunni

grab some beer and come over to my place and help me set my Mandrake 10 up proper before your wisdom is gone forever...

i still run dual-boot (with win2000) but i am s l o w l y getting more from my mdk10... and of course, there's the fun of poking :devil: (you know who) with a big stick...

(anyone with :beer: , is of course welcome :cheesy: (or malt - where's the 'fine scotch' icon???) :oops::offtopic: )

al in clevedon

http://www.clevedon-civic-society.org.uk/mapview.htm link used with no permissions whatsoever so i apologize for any and all infringements!

Edited by clevedonal

Sadly, Phunni wasn't really convinced by any of the posts made here. He has rsigned as a Moderator of this board.

I would like to personally thank him for all his efforts and contributions here. Ofcourse, i hope he will soon realise his mistake and come running back to Linux. I mean, how can he put up with all that "reboot now stuff"? all that "you need to update your def files" crap every day? :wall:

Windoze has some great software written for it, but as an OS it stinks.

<snip>

Maybe, but some of us have to find out the hard way. Me included... :juggle:

Running this from a Fedora box now although I swore never to go near a Red Hat distro again after the disaster I had with RH9. Ubuntu LiveCD is great (see my review), but the distro's installer blows... it's like it's from the stone age or something. So I installed something that would not take long to install and give that a try.

Choice... ah yeah this feels good. :beer:

Sadly, Phunni  wasn't really convinced by any of the posts made here. He has rsigned as a Moderator of this board.

I would like to personally thank him for all his efforts and contributions here.  Ofcourse, i hope he will soon realise his mistake and come running back to Linux. I mean, how can he put up with all that  "reboot now stuff"? all that "you need to update your def files"  crap every day?  :wall:

Very sad....

But its a sad fact there doesn't seem to be any CuBase equivalent etc. in Linux. for instance.

Dual booting sucks, or more accurately sucks up time.

I know music is important to phunni so perhaps if/when we get the linux equiv phunni will be able to chosse a single OS for everything.

Ubuntu LiveCD is great (see my review), but the distro's installer blows... it's like it's from the stone age or something.

you mean

"the distro's installer blows with my hardware" :cheesy:

Possibly... still I can't understand why the LiveCD would detect just about everything and the installer going berserk on me when installing packages (error installing packages, maybe not enough space, bla bla, even though the partition I gave it has 43Gigabyte!).

Then I'm thrown into an obscure package management tool with incomprehensible menus and options.

In any case, the reason did not make any difference in deciding to install another distro.

Sadly, Phunni  wasn't really convinced by any of the posts made here. He has rsigned as a Moderator of this board.

I would like to personally thank him for all his efforts and contributions here.  Ofcourse, i hope he will soon realise his mistake and come running back to Linux. I mean, how can he put up with all that  "reboot now stuff"? all that "you need to update your def files"  crap every day?  :wall:

Very sad....

But its a sad fact there doesn't seem to be any CuBase equivalent etc. in Linux. for instance.

I know music is important to phunni so perhaps if/when we get the linux equiv phunni will be able to chosse a single OS for everything.

Music is not only my life, but how I make a living as well. I use Linux for all my sound production between Hydrogen and Audacity I have pretty much everything I need. There are other great projects as well. CuBase SX and the like are obviously in a different league, but they are also full of features that nobody uses. Audacity has all the basics I need plus many plugins that can be downloaded to achieve most things.

I have no Windows partitions on any of my computers and am also installing Linux on my computer at work now (just got permission). There is nothing Windows can give me that Linux can't except a headache and a cramp in my arse.

Very sad....

Music is not only my life, but how I make a living as well. I use Linux for all my sound production between Hydrogen and Audacity I have pretty much everything I need. There are other great projects as well. CuBase SX and the like are obviously in a different league, but they are also full of features that nobody uses. Audacity has all the basics I need plus many plugins that can be downloaded to achieve most things.

I have no Windows partitions on any of my computers and am also installing Linux on my computer at work now (just got permission). There is nothing Windows can give me that Linux can't except a headache and a cramp in my arse.

I could never get a set up like that working properly... Hydrogen was always fabntastic, but with out decent audio editing and sequencing (which I could never manage) I only had drums! (albeit absoutely cracking drums ;) )