Microsoft: Linux isn't cheaper

Replicator

Microsoft on Wednesday released the latest in a series of studies it has commissioned that show Windows to be as cheap or cheaper than Linux as part of its "Get the Facts" campaign. The latest study, conducted by BearingPoint, found that even looking at only the "hard costs" of licensing and support, Windows Server 2003 was often cheaper than Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Novell/SUSE Linux.

"While the acquisition costs associated with licensing and support should be evaluated, this study has found after comparing the cumulative costs within medium and enterprise scenarios over a five year period that those costs do not significantly differentiate Windows Server 2003, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 or Novell/SUSE Linux 8," BearingPoint said in the conclusion of its report.

Source: CNET

Oh, it's in print so it has to be true. And it was researched. That means it is more true than truth. We all know that the media only reports truth, and that researchers define truth.

Truthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruth

truthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruth

t

ruthtruth

Common sense? No there is no such thing. Otherwise, it would exist in research! B)

Hahaha! That's GOTTA be a joke

If not, the guy never visited a single Linux site or anything...he says he can't connect to AOL on Linux...AOL has a Linux version...and you can always get 3rd party progs :P

yea...that sites gotta be a joke:

"RIAA Piracy Dragnet Snares Popular Female Musician, Deceased Man, and Three-Legged Kitten"

Edited by Urza9814

And since all of my buddies at work use Windows Media Player 9 to rip, mix and burn CDs that we can't share with each other or play in the car, we are extremely excited about the Windows Media Player 10 beta that comes integrated with Advanced Server 2003

:D

Now we can rip, mix and burn right on the server!

..with Windows XP I don't gotta worry about emailing viruses to my friends and family at all. The built-in email client Outlook Express does it automatically, in the background.

...Who wants to use an operating system that doesn't learn about you, that doesn't keep track of what you like to look at on the web, listen to, or watch? With Windows XP Home, I have the peace of mind that comes with knowing my habits and activities are being monitored by Microsoft, and my computer's hardware configuration and list of installed software is being stored in a database in Redmond. Windows Longhorn will go even further than XP in this regard, as it won't even run any programs or code that hasn't been registered and approved by Microsoft. Goodbye, Kazaa, WinMX, Limewire, Piolet, your infringing days are numbered! Windows Longhorn will be like having a little cop right inside your computer,...

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

For me it's one of the best joke on the web.

yes, it's a joke...wow, can't you guys pick up on that like...right away? Sarcasm the whole way through...

Yep this onme is better than his last one.

The last one was more subtle... full of sarcasm but unfortunatly some people beleived it.

Now youd have to be really dumb wouldnt ya ??????????? :cheeky:

seriously though...

these are FUN but they are really bad for linux.

we are probably as a board better educated in linux than joe average yet still people believe these jokes...

Just think how they appear to Joe average... to me this hasnt got a serious comment all through but to Joe average it loks like fact.

Given most MS FUD (like the original article) relies on this FUD this just provides more 'proof' to Joe Public.

I'm running XP on the monster rig I use at home--a brand new Compaq mid-tower--and the OS blazes like a Corvette. I especially like the four games it comes with - Hearts, FreeCell (so addictive!), Minesweeper, and Solitaire. It's easy to see why XP is considered the ultimate platform for gamers.

The reason why XP is considered the ultimate platform for gamers is a hoot!

Sure... :jester:

I can see how Solitaire can bring a OS down to it's knees... ???

And look out for Minesweeper... it will blow away those wimpy OS's...

Anyway...

Edited by RadioEar

You know, that article is quite helpful. I got a guy to think about moving to Linux because I quoted some of the stuff about Windoze spying on you, and the thing about on Longhorn not being able to use anything not MS approved :P