Microsoft: Linux isn't cheaper

Replicator

Guest JoeDesertrat

I liked this part best:

Linux zealots will try to say that their platform isn't plagued by things like email viruses, but with Windows XP I don't gotta worry about emailing viruses to my friends and family at all. The built-in email client Outlook Express does it automatically, in the background.

lol, cheaper as in sucking in the most money and giving out the most bull $hit.

lol, but its advanced, reliable, and easy bull $hit so you should buy.

Sometimes I think MicroSoft could sell dog crap and claim that if you put it in your computer, it'll make it run faster, and that most people would actually buy it.

sure, it's cheap when you download a bootleg copy :)

We do not condone such things. Illegal downloading is bad!

:cheesy:

yeah. If everybody had to pay for the illegal M$ stuff they have in there box, Microsoft would be even richer but at the same time probably millions of persons may seriously consider a switch to Linux... so lets see what would happen when Longhorn will be released with all its "trusted computer" things that would make illegal copy impossible.

Going OT:

Unfortunately, I'm sure Microsoft, devilish as they are :devil: , are going to make it soft during several years, collecting informations during that time, and when they will decide that now we have to pay, that would be too late, people would be completely locked with there own files encrypted, proprietary format that OSS can't read because of software patent and all those things.

Better be ready when Longhorn will be released. Are you ready ? Are you ready for the big battle ? :ph34r:

sure, it's cheap when you download a bootleg copy :)

We do not condone such things. Illegal downloading is bad!

:cheesy:

yeah. If everybody had to pay for the illegal M$ stuff they have in there box, Microsoft would be even richer but at the same time probably millions of persons may seriously consider a switch to Linux... so lets see what would happen when Longhorn will be released with all its "trusted computer" things that would make illegal copy impossible.

Going OT:

Unfortunately, I'm sure Microsoft, devilish as they are :devil: , are going to make it soft during several years, collecting informations during that time, and when they will decide that now we have to pay, that would be too late, people would be completely locked with there own files encrypted, proprietary format that OSS can't read because of software patent and all those things.

Better be ready when Longhorn will be released. Are you ready ? Are you ready for the big battle ? :ph34r:

Hah! Bring it on Longhorn,

I :ph34r: you not!

:cheecky:

Edited by Darkelve

Going OOT (off off topic)

Yep Roland don't forget though this applies to MSN/Hotmail too.

This is all a lock-in/info gathering exersize so people shouldnt be surprised when they suddently get a bill for last years Hotmail or MSN (after all it does say in the license agreement that MS can retrospectively charge - people do read those? dont they)

In Win98 and 2000 (to an extent) Ms passport and stuff were seperate to yor licenses for WinBlows....

Now with XP they are starting to merge... MS databases can correlate one withj the other and this is when it starts to get frightening (unless you happen to trust MS) ...

With product activation, Rights management etc. all of this is linked together in a very frightning way... its not the individual components its the sum of them all.

So is MS more expensive?

Well, those who got caught with massive fines for ilegal P2P networks probably think it is :D but joking aside this is the costs of the future.

What is the cost of your kids accidentally surfing some 'illegal' site and you going to jail.... imagine your using XP or longhorn and MS lock your PC after you add some memory without asking them.

So you go to some site and get a crack to open it again....

MS say nothing just continue gathering evidence until they have 10 people in your neighbourhood while sharing the inforamtion they gather on your MP3 collection with other agencies then they pounce!

Several people in US universities have already faced an expensive criminal record ... that will doubtless affect their employment in the future. For certain people like law students it makes their whole studies irrelevant since they wont be allowed to practice law.

OK this was the DCMA not MS ... but notice how it was made a federal offenese not a misdemeanor ... deliberately to wreck peoples lives...

this is the future with longhorn .....

Microsoft is much more expensive than linux. The final cost can't even be calculated because of the loss of your computer and your time. Verizon dsl is hooking up with msn. When I hook up their dsl for a client, I never installed the software in the past because it is redundant. But, new accounts now need an login authorization, and only the software can initiate the proceedure! So I have to load the stinky software, initiate authorization, get my addresses, and then uninstall the garbage! What a loss of time, and my customer must pay me more! Oh, tech support has no idea what addresses you'll get, you have to use the software!! (Yeah, right!)

...But, new accounts now need an login authorization, and only the software can initiate the proceedure! So I have to load the stinky software, initiate authorization, get my addresses, and then uninstall the garbage! ..

had you ran ad-aware or any anti-spyware just after you installed the "stinky software" ?

gowator: I know you know Wanadoo :tm:

my parents got the Wanadoo ADSL pack eXtense :tm:

When you install the pack, it installs the last version of IE, the last version of Outlook, puts icons everywhere, in the desktop, in the taskbar, in the start menu, in the Wanadoo folder, show you a little movie that show how to use the software and install the software, an app that runs in the background with witch you can do everything: you can retrieve your e-mail, browse the web with IE, configure your connection, it says mamy and daddy, everything.. err NOT mamy and daddy.

And no choice: it's a all or nothing thing to install.

Well no choice to uninstall either.

My first reaction was to clean all that junk and to uninstall the e-mail client and everything that runs on the background. But when I ran the uninstaller, it first asked why you want to uninstall it (a poll) then it also unistalled the driver for the modem and the Network config... but didn't uninstalled IE or Outlook or the cookies or ... a spyware !

How do I know there is a spyware ? well after I uninstall the pack, I ran ad-aware witch found a new spyware. doubt :unsure: Then as the driver for the modem was not there anymore (even in \Windows\System) and the driver can't be found on the cd by Windows (was probably compressed) I had to reinstall the pack to get the driver on the web ok ? To be sure I ran ad-aware again. And here it is: the spyware was there again ! :angry:

So I got the driver on the web ....................

4 hours ! 4 hours just to set a clean connection and e-mail client (Mozilla) without all there f$@~& software !

roland :ph34r:

I :ph34r: you not!

:cheecky:

What ? what do you mean ? ;)

Do you mean I'm curently on Windows (connected through a Linux server he ho !) I have a fixed IP address everybody can see ? ok you're right: my next question in this forum will be: how to :ph34r: me :D

Roland,

I never used the wanadoo SW at all but I did tellt hem UNIX when I purchased! They send me accounbt info and mail which I dont ask for but if I try and view my account it tellsm me I must log in from a wanadoo connection (i.e. using their spyware)

they block my mail and wont let me send via my wanadoo account but I just use my own mail server!

In fact, for Wanadoo I pay for A line i dont want, email I cant use and webspace I cant use (wincrap SW) ...

I keep thinking to change but ....