wav to mp3 converter

lil gorsebush penguin

:help:

...again... one day touhgh i'll be solving other people's problems! but that won't be for another few years (maybe decades) when i finally understand how everything in linux works!

i'm looking for a program where i can convert .wav files to .mp3 ones! everything i've found so far is only for windows - :devil: - so if anyone has any ideas please help! i have about 50 wav files and not enough disk space!

thanks everyone!

You are looking for LAME or BLADEENC. I suggest you to add an rpm source to your rpm database that contains one of those programs in rpm format. So:

1) Go to http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/ and add PLF and Texstar.

2) Open up rpmdrake or a console and search for bladeenc. Install it.

Those progs are command line based. If you want a frontend I suggest your GRIP.

:headbang:

MOttS

Anymore ....suggestions????

Theres lots of options but which is simplest from a CLI and most easily scriptable.

As I understand lilgorse.. has ripped a load of CD\s but either didnt rip and encode or didnt have an encoder.

Now she needs to do all the WAVs to mp3 so she can stick them on a single CD... or so.

did you ever try GRIP? Works well for me, but its a little slow given my machine. It seems to come with codecs for .ogg .wav and .mp3 without any additionl packages. Not sure about cli though.

Ripping and end encoding some Stevie Ray Vaughn with it now.

Its in most urpmi sources so it should be pretty easy to install.

R

Yeah grip is installed its just that she pressed RIP only.

Hence she has lots of ready ripped stuff BUT as WAV's so she's looking for a way to convert them once ripped without re-ripping.

I ran bladeenc from the CLI as a test and it takes about 3 seconds to rip a fairly long track :D on my athalon 2800+ with bladeenc recompiled for athalon :D However supplying the list of new filenames is a bit of a pain, I guess a directory listing with the .wav and then the same name with .mp3 is OK but short of making it by hand anyone got any suggestions (ARU ... where are you)

I read a post from a guy (touting another distro) and he talked about something called cdbakeoven. He compared it to some of the best doze progz out there. Not certain it does that, but I bet it does. Worth looking in to. If I remember correctly, when I looked for it, I did not find it in rpm, but just source.

:o

Don't know if you got your answer or not!

We really need to do something about that -- maybe get an icon set or something a poster can use to show "Problem Solved!"

But I just urpmi'd Grip and converted a cd of .wav songs to .mp3's with no problem at all!

Hope this helped.

>It seems to come with codecs for .ogg .wav and .mp3 without any additionl packages.

>Not sure about cli though.

Unless grip has changed a lot since I last used it, it is basically a graphical front end for several cli rippers and encoders - hence it doesn't need a cli interface.

Yeah sorry but once again we are looking for a batch conversion here.

All the Cd's are ripped to MP3... but she forgot to click RIP+ENCODE so they areall sat as WAV's taking up lots of room.

The XMMS Ooption sounds hopeful, presuming it can also do WAV->MP3 ..... I guess you just select the whole playlist.

Doing the stuff one at a time with lame/bladeenc/... is more hassle than just deleting the MP3's and re-ripping everything.

Someone reported ripping WAV's to MP3's in GRIP...

someone put me out of my misery...is it just me or my version or does the option not exist.....

I go along with Qchem that GRIP is just a front end to whatever encoder and cdrecord BUT it takes out a lot of hassle by doing the cddb lookups and inserting the id3 tags etc.

In fact all in all I think its a great little front end...

It just seems to be missing the WAV2MP3 or OGG2MP3 ....

within the interface.....

Also, I remember that Mandrake comes codecless except ogg. (legal reasons) ... please if anyone is sure Im wrong say so... but I habitually do the blade/lame/ogg2mp3 stuff at the same time as libdvdcss2 ....

(ie, at install time)

Also a point for anyone...

ogg2mp3 depends on cdrecord....

cdrecord depends on having a scsi drive or at least ide-scsi.

So basically you need a scsi drive (or emulated scsi) in order to use ogg2mp3.

Just a little quirk....

xmms will do the whole batch. just put all the wav's in the playlist and open the options menu. go to output plugin and select discwriter. then apply it, close it and click play. it will encode to mp3 at 2x. over and done with.