Fedora Core 1 Released!

I'm trying it tomorrow.

I have been using RH9 with apt4rpms for a while and absolutely loving it. Fedora used yum by default and I'm looking forward to trying that. I just wonder if yum updates its lists as fast as apt does... that is why I love apt, I'm on dialup =|

Other then that, Fedora is compiled for i386 (apparently) so a recompile for athlon is necessary, may as well try out 2.6 kernel stock.

I'll let everyone know how it goes, although I don't have much time this week for messing around...

I have Fedora Core 1 on my laptop (my laptop is now a server websever,I have one for work :lol: ) and I am loving it. So far the only two problems I have is that it does not detect the built-in ethernet adaptor correctly (so if any of you know what either net adaptor is in an HP Pavilion N5425 laptop, feel free to tell me), and it thinks my laptop is always plugged in. I wrote a small terminal based game with Kdevelop (can anyone tell me how to get stuff to output to QT?). I will probably write a review of it soon. That is all.

I've been running it since the seventh and I think it's great. It detected and configured everything in my laptop except the winmodem. Bluecurve looks great (matter of opinion that though) and the inclusion of yum was long overdue but much appreciated.

Problems I have is that the intel compilers are still broken with glibc thats shipped (not exactly fedoras fault) and the nvidia drivers can be difficult to get going for a newbie.

It's an improvement over RH9 and I like the community aspect of it, overall a good distro that I'd reccommend to beginners and experts alike (although with a few other distros).

BTW, whilst most of the packages are i386 optimised, several packages are i686 versions and the install decided I should be running an i686 kernel (which includes a backport of the nptl).

lx, sorry to take so long to respond. No, the firstime thingy_mu_jiggy has always configured my sound in RH9 and Fedora beta, but I only have the sb 16 pci, not the live. I haven't tried 1, or whatever it's called....yet. I only had the beta installed for 4 days. Neither apt or yum worked and the only way I could install was commandline. Well, rpm - no urpmi/apt/yum=no thanks_RH6.0_days.

My SB Live detected just fine, in RH 9 it did also. The Red Fedora apps button will go away if you chose a different icon setting, then log out and log back into X.

Only complaint I have is removing XFree-Mesa-libGL to get the nvidia drivers to work right. Oh and the gcc32 deal before installing them too.

Otherwise Im happy with it.

FX

Edited by FX

Can you tell me how to remove the libgl? I plan to get fedora core 1 in a few days just to play around with it.. With RedHat gone, seems like Fedora is the distro to put in our test/training server since most of the linux books in Indonesia is about RedHat.

I've got Fedora on my laptop, an older Dell Inspiron 7500.

Installation was pretty simple. If you've done RH 9, then that's Fedora. I did have problems when it actually booted the first time with detection of the network card. It was bad enough I actually had to remove it from the docking station, re-do the whole deal, and then add the networking back in manually.

When you start up..... well, what do you expect? It's Red Hat 9.1, basically. Even down to the Red fedora launching the menu. The only thing that identifies it as Fedora just looking at the desktop is the Fedora wallpaper. (Although the graphical boot screen when starting up looked nice..... nicer than Mandrake's by far, IMO. Still- just eye candy)

What pleasently suprised me was running up2date. I'm not a Red Hat user....... I usually install each release for a few weeks just to check it out, but my primary box is Mandrake. With everything I've read about the Fedora/Red Hat issue, I'd thought "how much support will there be for Fedora as far as updates."

Like so many users, I always downloaded RH, and never bought a copy. And I used RHN to get updates for free. All I've been reading about this made me think all that was gone.

So the first thing I did was run up2date. I liked it immediately because there was no garbage about starting an account on RHN and providing any user information. It was more like MandrakeUpdate. Click button...... watch little progress bar...... click OK and you are done.

I have been reading the moanings of people who feel that Red Hat has abandoned them. Maybe I'm missing something (and if I am, PLEASE fill me in) but Fedora doesn't look or act any diffenrent for me than Red Hat 9 did...... except there was no hassle when I ran up2date the first time.

Maybe I can see where an administrator relied on phone support...... that might leave you in a lurch. Or if you've sold it on being "free" to the suits in your company...... and now you've got to rethink that. (Heck...... just tell them it's "Red Hat Fedora"........ like they're going to ssh into the box and check.......) :D

Red Hat's taking a lot of heat for this, but I think it's got to be done. Face it- Linux has grown far beyond the hackers and geeks who've got it where it is. All the attempts to get taken seriously have worked. Big business has taken notice. This is a by-product of that.

Give Fedora a try, especially if you are a regular Red Hat user.

DragonMage:

It's just a simple rpm removal to remove the nvidia/libgl bug

# rpm -e --nodeps XFree86-Mesa-libGL

(you'll probably need to restart X afterwards).

To compile the nvidia drivers, starting from the current download from nvidia, do

# CC="gcc32" sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run --add-this-kernel

wait a while

# CC="gcc32" sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2-custom.run

then edit your XF86config as necessary.

Hope this helps,