KDE 3.1.4

Guest timelord

Worked very well, the short time I had it installed on 9.1.

Just watch out that it will change things, Like it changes the startup splash screen to something with a wild west look (no biggie... on screen for just a few seconds), the K button changes to a blue star (haven't figured out how that icon works yet), options may seemily dissappear (you can get it all back through kde's control center)

Upgrading has caused some to wonder what happened to certain features, but it is all still there, hiding someplace in the KDE control center.

If you use our search, you will find some info about these things.

I would say to try what ever is easiest... you can always rpm -e kdebase, delete /home/user/.kde and start all over too.

I still have it in my desktop. It works great, but it starts up a little slower than kde 3.1.3 in my laptop. Probably because of firestarter though.

BTW, the Star icon is only for the default iconset. I changed my iconset to Gorilla and didn't see it anymore.

i too can vouch for Tex's KDE3.1.4 on MDK9.1. been using it for about a month now. i upgraded from his version 3.1.3. install went without a hitch using urpmi. i didn't even lose any menu items! startup time for me seems about the same as previous versions of KDE. one cool thing i did notice..........even if you have supermount disabled, you can just click on a CDROM desktop icon with a data CD inserted & it will open it! and, no, it didn't screw with my fstab. you must still unmount manually. see this link for comments KDE3.1.4 thread . don't know how it would work with MDK9.2 or updating via MCC, but if you have 9.1 & urpmi KDE3.1.4 & install that way, you SHOULDN'T have a problem.

Chris

I tried grabbing tex's 3.1.4 through the MCC and completly hosed my kde desktop!

Just a warning pay attention to those dependancy pop ups MCC gives you - cause I didn't! oops

oh yeah I'm running 9.2 --- 3.1.4 worked beautifully with 9.1.

Edited by durvish

Please notice that texstar writes rpm's for specific versions of mandrake. You will not find any 9.2 rpm's because he is taking a break. So, the last set he issued was for 9.1. If you try them in 9.2, you will get some depend issues. His rpm's have rarely ever caused serious problems in my system.

I used texstar's 3.1.4 AND screwed my system up... BUT

I can't say it was to blame becuase I also did about 101 other things at the same time.

(like changing kernel ....)

Anyway kinda difficult to say what I did .. my own fault really but just thought I'd share.... it mighta had something to do with it or not...

I used the 3.1.4 texstar on MDK9.1 without problem - he even puts a 'suspend-to-disk' button on the k-menu. Never saw that before.

BUT, if you plan to upgrade to 9.2 with urpmi and yoiu have the texstar stuff you will be sorry. Follow the thread below for my experience and solution (reinstall 9.1). If I had known before I started I would have used urpmi to remove kde completely before I began. This turned into a weekend project because of the 3.1.4 kde. After going 9.1 vanilla (leave out gnorpm), the urpmi route worked really well - but the plf and ibiblio sources are really bogged down and it may take a while to get all the packages (I mention in my posts that I had REALLY good throughput from the USC mirrors, but I'm in the SF area, ymmv).

good luck,

Robert

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=9314