Positive 9.2 Experiences?

Gnubie

I think I'm lost. This thread was titled "Positive 9.2 Experiences?" by Gnubie, at least I thought it was. Could someone please direct me to that thread? :help:

Edit: OK here I am. What's up with the board; something wierd is happenning here.

Back on topic. My experiences with mdk9.2 have been completelyly positive. No problems whatsoever. It's faster, slicker and nicer looking than 9.1 and I really liked 9.1. I originally put 9.2 on my test partition to give it a try. After two weeks, I liked it so much I moved it to my main partition and moved 9.1 to my test partition. I really doh't understand the negative comments; I guess I'm in bvc's anti-whining camp ;)

Someone posted this topic somewhere else, but I can't find it now in all the confusion. They were requesting positive 9.2 experiences. I'm a silver member of Mandrake Club, so I got the first 3 disks of the PowerPack made available to me to download with BitTorrent. I had absolutely no problems whatsoever, but I upgraded by making my downloaded ISOs my only sources in urpmi and doing

urpmi urpmi

urpmi --auto --auto-select

urpmi kernel

As for me,

at work i made a 9.1 -> 9.2 RC2 -> cooker (nearly =9.2 final at theses days) -> 9.2 final just by changing source with urpmi.addmedia

No problem at all execept the little "menu dissapeared" bug.

Coming from debian i was very surprised to discover that urpmi is as powerfull as apt-get !

at home 9.2rc2 -> cooker

I am a previous windows and debian user. I still run windows 98se on my gaming box, and debian sarge on my server. I keep a winXP as dual boot on my main box at home "just in case"

So i'm pretty new to linux has only desktop (started in june). After several tries with debian (sid) and knoppix/morphix, i must say that mandrake fullfils all my needs, because it's by far the fastest system for aving a nice working system from scratch.

I'm going to pay for a club access to support them for their amazing work.

Well, I managed to get the 9.2 ISOs after begging a Mandrake Club member to burn a copy for me. Well.. my experience is not that positive at first.. but all Mandrake new releases seems to do that :) After the first 250 MB upgrade package (with the -18mdk kernel), everything is fine and dandy, however. It's just that this stupid Toshiba laptop with the so-called no-legacy bios (which means that you have to boot into windows to change bios settings, stupid ain't it?) requires a little bit more work than regular desktop. So as you can see in my sig, I am running 9.2 in my laptop. I am waiting for the iso with updated kernel though so that I can actually proliferate the use.

Toshiba laptop with the so-called no-legacy bios (which means that you have to boot into windows to change bios settings, stupid ain't it?) requires a little bit more work than regular desktop. So as you can see in my sig, I am running 9.2 in my laptop. I am waiting for the iso with updated kernel though so that I can actually proliferate the use.

Hi Dragonmage-

I have a Toshiba 5105 and am interested in putting 9.2 on it. What's your experience so far? I'm not particularly adept at tinkering with the kernel, so I'm somewhat apprehensive.

-schussat

Overall I'm very happy with this release. My initial response was that it was wonderfull. since then I've realized that there are some issues. It didn't install right the first couple trys for no particualr reason, and they didn't put kernel source ont he CD's, but beyond that, I'm VERY hapy and I will prbably stick with this release untill some very drastic changes happen.

headbang

I did the 9.2rc2>cooker>updated a few pkgs with urpmi from a 9.2 mirror and I'm a happy camper. Best release yet. Really just a polished/updated 9.1 but never the less wonderful. No probs.

NVIDIA works fine (GF4 MX440SE)

Samba/Win2k and [Realplayer-has crashed a few times] are fine here as well.

This release is exactly what LM9.0 should have been. I love it. It is the first release since LM8.2 that actually properly runs all the applications I use under LM8.1. They finally have DGA working properly out of the box as well (unlike 9.0 and 9.1). All in all, it seems like a great release to me. I can finally move all the stuff from my LM8.1 installation over without any worries or problems.

Glitz.

i've been using 9.2 since it came out (and i got it downloaded) and have enjoyed it (aside from the annnoyance of auto-generated menu's, but i found myself a work around for that :) ). it's been rock-solid for me...