Debian/Mandrake/Gentoo unscientific comparison

ramfree17

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the big deal? This is what I've been saying all along. There is no noticable difference, and therefore no reason for me to switch to Gentoo. The extensive compile times are just not worth the mythical speed increases.

In my experience, Slackware 8.1 feels the fastest, and Mandrake 9.1 felt very fast too... But it really varies from distro to distro, application to application, version to version. The speed issue is non-existant. Now we can look at more relevant reasons for using any given distro over another.

For one person, it'll be Mandrake's great installer and hardware setup. For someone else, it'll be the ability to compile everything from source like a copy-cat of FreeBSD. For someone like me, it's the absolute ease of maintenance...

I'll stick to Debian for now, and possibly forever.

Tired of being faced with the mindless ravings of Gentoo users at the most inapproprate of times? Attempt to better understand your pain with: The Amazing Gentoo-Linux-Zealot Translate-o-matic!

What's the big deal? This is what I've been saying all along. There is no noticable difference, and therefore no reason for me to switch to Gentoo. The extensive compile times are just not worth the mythical speed increases.

yes, we get it. no one in this thread was running around saying gentoo was some grand thing.

yes, we get it. no one in this thread was running around saying gentoo was some grand thing.

I was simply posting in response to the original post... The article, and people's reactions (not necessarily only on this forum, but also on Slashdot), make it seem like this is some new revelation, but really, it's not.

If I am in the wrong for posting here, then ban me.

[quote="some funny DOlson"} Some funny guy wrote:

Tired of being faced with the mindless ravings of Gentoo users at the most inapproprate of times? Attempt to better understand your pain with: The Amazing Gentoo-Linux-Zealot Translate-o-matic!

Very funny!!

As for my opinion of Gentoo?

I think any speed benefit would depend on the machine it's running, what's installed and running, and any optimizations and even them the speed benefit is generally barely noticeable. Beside things run reasonably on my 300mhz with no real need to compile anything, and if I had a P4 or athlon? The last thing i would consider doing would be installing Gentoo. Maybe a LFS though.

I uninstall and install heaps of software, at least something daily. For me Gentoo would be wait_hell. And i'm not patient.

To me Gentoo seems like an automated LFS with a nice friendly layer and package system on top.

I was simply posting in response to the original post... The article, and people's reactions (not necessarily only on this forum, but also on Slashdot), make it seem like this is some new revelation, but really, it's not.

If I am in the wrong for posting here, then ban me.

the last thing i'm going to do is ban you for posting. my point was simply that you didn't need to mention it simply because no one here was saying anything to that end. no need to criticize people for something they aren't doing. we are all just surprised to see that what has been said by many has come to be true. that's all.

Why did you feel the need to single me out? I was posting about the topic of this thread, not directing it at anyone, not meant in any negative way at all, and yet you felt like you had to respond to me by saying "yes, we get it. no one in this thread was running around saying gentoo was some grand thing."

Did you read to the end of my post? Was I saying ANYONE in this thread was saying Gentoo was "some grand thing" ? No. Read to the end of my post before you decide you need to reply please. If you had, you would have seen that I simply stated some things that you probably feel are irrelevant; well then so be it. I don't care if you or anyone else thought I was out of place for saying what I said, this is a discussion forum, and I was simply taking part in the discussion.

Calm down gents...

Any way, here's my 2cent..

I myself am a gentoo user, and I couldn't care less about this article. Speed isn't why I use gentoo. I like gentoo because it fits my needs, not becuase it's "speed optimized" or what ever. If I want a super speedy distro, I'd still be using Slackware. The main reason I use gentoo is because of the tools that come with it; namely Portage. It's great, easy to use, and powerful. It makes installing and customizing software a breeze. Plus, gentoo has a great support community. Getting/Finding help is real easy thanks to the forums they have on the gentoo web site. And as for the inconvienence of building all the software, I don't find it a hassle. All the machines I have are plenty fast enough for it. And thanks to distcc, building all my software is hella fast (gotta love compileing my kernel in under 2 mins :-) ).

Anyway, that's my 2cents.

-HJ

So - is there any speed advantage if you are only using one machine - not compiling for anything over a network?
no, the only real speed advantage is if you are using more than one machine over a network (or atleast that's how i understand it)