Debian/Mandrake/Gentoo unscientific comparison

ramfree17

So - is there any speed advantage if you are only using one machine - not compiling for anything over a network?
no, the only real speed advantage is if you are using more than one machine over a network (or atleast that's how i understand it)

correct

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, baby arch, so cute, but not so functional....icon_wink.gif

hmmm... in your opinion maybe .... or is it just that you have to do most of the work to set it up your issue?

lots and lots of people have no issues with it and use it for all of the tasks they did in other distros. we have also gotten a fair number of very green or brand new newbies using as their first or second distro. so obviously it IS functional. i can do more with it than my very broken gentoo or very old debian. everything works that much better in arch for me (a combination of good builds and conservative optimizations). in gentoo my sound never worked all the time, X was always crashing, mutt was very hard to get running, exim never worked, mplayer was not functional, tons of packages i wanted were masked. with debian i just felt i had stagnated. everything was done for the user in a few simple steps or i had no clue or was unable to change conf files because i was sheltered from setting them up in the first place or debian refuse to allow changes.

as for packages....well thankfully there are some people out there that are willing to contribute packages to arch. with a small number of developers it is hard to get around to building packages ourselves.

tyme wrote:

'2) wealth of software. being young, arch doesn't have many of the peices of software i like. yes, i could build my own packages, but i'm lazy! i do not blame arch for this.

I thought about giving arch a try - this was the main reason I didn't bother

i bet gentoo was happy too that people did not have this attitude when they started getting noticed.

i get a kick out gentoo people having the time to compile everything under the sun for their box and when their interest in a younger less robust distro such as arch is piqued they shy away because "it does not have what they need packagewise" or "they heard it was not functional". what a load of crap.

arch is designed to for the user that wants ultimate control of their settings it has basic template files that the user can then alter to their needs...and with the build system it is easy to rebuild your system to even more optimized settings.

i have never had a lazy attitude to any distro. if a distro does not have what i need i install it from source. with arch it is pretty damn easy to make a package. the template build file would show you that and taking a look at other builds shows you some of the tricks you can use should you encounter problem. MOST of the time though the actual build portion of a buildfile is no more than:

build {

cd $startdir/scr/$pkname-$pkgver

./configure --prefix=/usr

make | return 1

make prefix=$startdir/pkg/usr install

}

and this is in the template already so it is usually just a matter of filling out the url to the source and plugging in the name and version number of the software you are building.

i can't believe that people are to lazy to do that.....

but oh well.

/me mourn the growth of the lazy linux user population.

hiding the power of *nixes is a bad thing it will lead to the user losing control and $$$$ as their reliance grows on others to allow them to use it.

i am not trying to flame anyone with this just merely point out a few things. it takes time to learn and get comfortable when changing over OSes but never fear delving deeper into an OS. the farther you go the better it is for you and the better able you are to give back to thhe community. a year ago i was lazy but contributing when i could. now being a package maintainer for arch makes me feel i am giving even more bqack to the linux community. for the minor sweat it was to get my arch up and FULLY FUNCTIONAL was worth it. going through the manual step of configuration, learning the build system, etc has made me a better member of the community, imho. i am filled with more confidence and definitely feel more capable of helping give back what i have taken out. i have even been helpful to other opensource projects as well. delving further into linux helped me alot with compiling open source application on my mac. i have yet to spend a dime on software for may powerbook. in the process i help transcode more functional in os x and attracted osx developers to it.

thanks to debian and arch i learned alot about using linux. unfortunately mandrake and gentoo were negative experiences but they did teach me stuff as well.

just my 2 cents

sarah31: i know my attitude about being lazy is a bad one. i would help with arch, but i'm just a lazy @$$ bastard! i can't even keep the updates cd that i've made up-to-date! i stopped using gentoo because i became annoyed with all the time it took to get stuff installed!

setting it up wasn't a problem ;-) i was just trying to be funny. i'm sorry if i offended you, but i was merely picking on arch, not saying it sucked or anything. i enjoyed arch when i was using it. i just wanted more software ;-) either way, the main thing behind me switching back to mandrake was actually this board-althought I may put arch back on here as my main distro and keep mandrake as secondary when i get back to school. i will have a lot more time then and won't feel so lazy (because i'll be active! holy crap, no way! ;-)).

ah ok i figured you were joking no offense taken really i just felt i had to voice some of the stuff i did. i perfectly understand the laziness factor i am going through it right now for the most part.

to touch on my laziness comment though...it was just a general rant for the most part i see alot of smaller distros get snubbed for alot of silly reasons. it is even harder to take such comments when you know people are working hard to make a distro good.

(so saying that i guess i should be less harsh on gentoo. i know people work hard on it but i just think it is NOT the greatest thing since sliced bread and really take offense to gentoo zealots shooting down other distros for no reasons other than not being gentoo. i got into and argument on JL between two people that use, and praise gentoo, to the point of annoyance about arch linux. neither of them had even used arch or done any significant investigation to it they shot it down because it was using prepackaged binaries and because it used i686 optimizations. after that i gave up trying to promote arch linux. with gentoo users inundating every BBS that is general in nature it just became too much of a hassle trying to promote any other option to users looking for a new distro. when gentoo zealots realize that people will use what they want to use and that any other distro is worthy of praise in some way i will stfu. )

getting back to your bias comments....true these people were not hired by any of the distros but i bet you they were not users of gentoo and were trying to point out that their distro was best. it is very hard to have unbiased benchmark or criticism but it is possible to wade through alot of the BS and find some semblance of truth. there are always pros and cons of everything manufactured out there. the only thing that matter though is that the user who uses the product is happy...not what some other dumb@$$ thinks.

if i listened to all the naysayers out there i would never have even bothered with linux, never purchased another mac, never bought my xbox, car, etc. $cr3w benchmarks and reviews i say.

I didn't try Arch because Debian does everything I need at this point in time. I don't want to hop distros anymore, because I've just gotten sick of it.

I hope you understand. It's nothing personal.

I didn't try Arch because Debian does everything I need at this point in time. I don't want to hop distros anymore, because I've just gotten sick of it.

I hope you understand. It's nothing personal.

why should i be upset? why would it matter. ll that matters is debian is for you. why move to another distro if you are happy?

debian is an excellent distro.