Debian/Mandrake/Gentoo unscientific comparison

ramfree17

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

modded?  where?  i see no modding....

hey dont be serious (knowing you, it might only mean you are half-serious :#:). somebody changed my post since its now a in phpBB url tags and i dont know who did it. :?

no biggie, but since you and paul have tried gentoo and were the only ones who responded then i thought its just too good a quip to pass up. :mrgreen:

ciao!

Wow! now there's something for the gentoo users!! You wait hours for a system to compile and it makes little performance diff. In the test it goes backwards!! Although it would certainly depend on hardware and other things.

They even used optimizations for the Gentoo system that the others didn't have.

I'm stickin with Mandy!!

James

Hi

If Debian, Mandrake and Gentoo where running

identical software, identically compiled from identically compiled tools

(compiler, compiler settings/optimisations, etc)

on identical hardware benchmark result's would be statistically identical.

Linux is GPL after all.

A professionnal Mandrake developpement team cooking up like Debian

team a fast Linux IMHO should be expected/required as opposed to one cooked

up by me let us say.

Here are my CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS

-march=athlon-tbird -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer

Notice -fomit-frame-pointer is missing from Gentoo benchmark.

-fomit-frame-pointer

Don't keep the frame pointer in a register for functions that don't need one.

This avoids the instructions to save, set up and restore frame pointers;

it also makes an extra register available in many functions.

It also makes debugging impossible on some machines.

On some machines, such as the VAX, this flag has no effect,...

In short a debugging cycle stealing/time consuming helper(trace)

I dought Mandrake or Debian are compiled with it enabled.!?(don't know)

I am not selling or pushing anything here(except Linux).

If my Gentoo is mucked up or not up to par it is my me myself anf I own fault only.

Please enjoy your whatever GPL/Slow/Fast/Better/Worst/Bigger Linux.

Benchmark's: IMHO marketting BS.

b: benchmarks can't be marketting BS unless there is some biased support behind said benchmark.

this is a linux bencmark done by independant linux users, not some MS benchmark done by an "independant consultant" who gets lots of "contributions" from MS ;-)

ramfree17: i was just confused, i thought you were trying to make us evil mods:tm: look even more evil!!! :evil:

b: benchmarks can't be marketting BS unless there is some biased support behind said benchmark.

wahahaha....when i a benchmark NOT undertaken by a biased source. if some company hires another company to benchmark their product then don't expect a published result to come out until they are satisfied with the results.

i don't buy benchmarks at all look at all those gentoo people who basically assume that only gentoo is fast---wrong. or look at those people who look at apple's processor speeed and assume that they could not possibly compare to x86 chips --- wrong. people talking on and on about how many fps they get in linux over windows --- so the hell what? the games still play in windows so who cares about the 10000 extra fps.

and so forth

All I can say is that my gentoo system is faster and more stable than my mandrake system ever was - therefore I'm sticking with it (until something better comes along - I'm a distro slut!)

gentoo and stable are incompatible :P

anyway we all know arch linux is better than all three so why are other distros trying to impress the judges /sark

'cuz arch is still young!

oh, baby arch, so cute, but not so functional....;-)

actually, the short time I used arch I rather liked it, I only changed back to Mandrake for two reasons:

1) because I'm on this board and often find myself forgetting how mandrake works, so by using it I can better help the people here. specifically when it comes to the use of the mandrake tools.

2) wealth of software. being young, arch doesn't have many of the peices of software i like. yes, i could build my own packages, but i'm lazy! i do not blame arch for this.

so really, it's not arches fault, it's that i'm a lazy ass!

about the benchmarks and marketting, my point was simply that it appears that these benchmarks were undertaken by independent individuals (ones not getting backing from some big company-we all know mandrake doesn't have the money to do that!) ;-) feel free to prove me wrong, and i'll gladly submit :-P

'2) wealth of software.  being young, arch doesn't have many of the peices of software i like. yes, i could build my own packages, but i'm lazy!  i do not blame arch for this.

I thought about giving arch a try - this was the main reason I didn't bother

Sarah31 and saying anything nice about gentoo are incompatible :-p :wink: