All Linux internet cafe

ral

While we were preparing to add a few Linux machines... well we wound up investing on Windows XP with OpenOffice instead. A Intenet Cafe named Super Lolo ("Super Grandfather) in the Philippines went all Linux :) (proud) and :( (not us---too chicken)

Distro of choice: Mandrake 9.1

While we were preparing to add a few Linux machines... well we wound up investing on Windows XP with OpenOffice instead. A Intenet Cafe named Super Lolo ("Super Grandfather) in the Philippines went all Linux :)  (proud) and :(  (not us---too chicken)

Distro of choice: Mandrake 9.1

if you were going to use OO then you should have used linux i mean it's not like Office that can only run on windows(realistically) and why pay extra for xp.

An internet Cafe running Linux has always been in my mind.

As long as enough memory are installed (384MB-512MB for I run a lot of things, 256 MB minimum for smooth experience running KDE), a Linux-only Cafe is a completely sensible idea. Adding the free version of Enemy Territory (though not sure if Cafe customers like noisy gaming :P ) and America Army there I think it can really stand up on its own.

An internet Cafe running Linux has always been in my mind.

As long as enough memory are installed (384MB-512MB for I run a lot of things, 256 MB minimum for smooth experience running KDE), a Linux-only Cafe is a completely sensible idea. Adding the free version of Enemy Territory (though not sure if Cafe customers like noisy gaming  :P ) and America Army there I think it can really stand up on its own.

Head phones only for gaming.

Guest LinuxExplorer

This all seems great. If I had the money to invest, I'd try something like this. I'd try to make a casual environment with some modern decor. I'd make it headphones for all activities, with a headphone jack to allow the customers to plug their own headphones into though unless you made one a dedicated MP3 jukebox or something like that. I'm just wondering....would you make profits from pulling in the people and charging slightly modestly for drinks, etc.? I'd personally prefer that to a pay per minute machine. Just some ideas. :D Not that I know how others run successful internet cafes.

would you make profits from pulling in the people and charging slightly modestly for drinks, etc.? I'd personally prefer that to a pay per minute machine. Just some ideas.  :D  Not that I know how others run successful internet cafes.

actually when the internet cafe started they are all serving light snacks to complement the surfing experience (and to make those who wait have something to do). but with the internet and lan-gaming boom, most internet cafes here today are more of a gaming center than a real cafe.

but almost all internet cafes serve coffee, soda and cookies. some have a better selection of goodies.

ciao!

There is an all Indonesian language Linux distro specially made for Internet Cafe and telephone exchange! I got a copy with a local Linux magazine. Pretty cool! Even includes custom billing and accounting software.

Internet cafes are popular here and most serve drinks and snacks. They are hangouts for students that don't have their own computers. So they rent time to do homework assignments, chat, and send email to friends. Many small businesses get desktop publishing, scanning, business cards, brochures, flyers, and copies made in some of the larger centers. They are like the Kinko's in the USA but rowdier! :lol: We have game centers too that focus on that market, but I haven't seen any Linux game centers yet. Internet cafes are a big hit with tourists, especially backpackers and surfers. With new laws cracking down on pirated software, Linux should gain some users! :wink:

If you have the right location and staff, you can do well from what I hear, but you really have to watch security issues and tighten down to prevent keylogging and illegal credit card and spam related activities. That is the big problem now.

Me, I've often thought of doing such a thing, since I'm retired and have a lot of free time. Mine would be more of a "thumbing my nose" one though. Linux, BSD, Atari, Amiga, Acorn (and other alternative OS' with appropriate capabilities) only.

This thought also haunted me...

I'm relatively new to Linux, but I always considered starting a Linux-based internet café in my home town. It's steadily becoming a real city and there isn't anything remotely like it yet, save for a few computer centers (compare it with a simple LUG building where geeks meet and game and where lessons are given). These aren't in the center of town, however, and have no interest in acting as a café.

So my question is:

- what software would be needed

I'm thinking of Browsers -Mozilla, Opera, ... -, Firewall (freely available or commercial), Chat and messaging clients -Gaim, Licq, KSirc - , a couple of games - (the cube?), (quake?), (Wolfenstein?)- an e-mail program - evolution or Kmail -

- What hardware would be needed (say for a 8-16 machines)

I'm guessing there would be need for 1 system to act as a mail/ftp/whatever-server, the rest connected to that system.

- Is configuration straightforward? E.g. I am thinking of zeroconfig as a way to easily setup such a small network.

- Broadband: ADSL or Cable?

- Will it cover the costs? What is the best way to charge?

If there is one question I do not need to answer anymore, it is that Mandrake will be perfect for the job ;)

Darkelve