Tired of hearing about Gentoo!

SoulSe

Is Gentoo super-GEEK?  

1. 1. Is Gentoo super-GEEK?

• Yes, perfect for me.
    • No, it is super-MEEK
    • Surely there is a super-duper board for Gentoo users?
    • It causes funky feelings in my crotch...
    • Gentoo Schmentoo... gimme my Mandrake!!!
    • You just don't understand us man. Sheesh, I'm hurt...

Honestly, how many desktop users have time to spend a whole day + on a basic install?!?

I understand that it is a great, streamlined distro and makes coffee for yer and all of that, but you speak like it is the messiah of distros.

In my *very humble* opinion, it seems to be perfect for a server. If you have the time to set it up on your desktop, good for you. But this is the MANDRAKEusers board... ya know.

I need a pee -all this excitement. Ciao :wink:

Disclaimer: SoulSe is being silly, lets not flame. Just pokein'

Yea, gentoo seems to be the virus of this board. But like all illness with time we will be free of it. And all of you will go back to a real advanced, versatile, and powerfull distro: Mandrake :mrgreen:

I'd like to know why all these mandrake->gentoo converts with high speed connections or, what...powerpacks that come with the source, haven't tried rpmrebuilder...or something. Seems to me that if you have that kinda time you'd just rebuild mandrake. Then you'd have the best of both worlds.

I think aru is right though. Either they'll be back when the itch goes away or they'll find a diff advanced, versatile, and powerfull distro: *cough* :libranet: :unsure:

I like gentoo because of the knowledge I am gaining. And I' ll be the first to admit that I never would have done gentoo had I not had a Mandrake system fully functioning on my machine.:mystismiles:

I will no doubt over the next few months, compile a Mandrake system from bootstrap on my machine. If I did not have dsl, I would be whining about my inability to download!!! :twisted:

I did it, because I can!!!! :lol:

I did it, because I can!!!! :lol:

I guess that's the point. I don't have the time or the connetion. A distro that requires me to spend a day simply installing KDE seems highly impracticle as well...

I'd like to know why all these mandrake->gentoo converts with high speed connections or, what...powerpacks that come with the source, haven't tried rpmrebuilder...or something. Seems to me that if you have that kinda time you'd just rebuild mandrake. Then you'd have the best of both worlds.

I think aru is right though. Either they'll be back when the itch goes away or they'll find a diff advanced, versatile, and powerfull distro: *cough* :libranet: :unsure:

Got any links that would help me to do this? I know I'd have to but a power pack first.

No. If I remember correctly

rpmrebuilder --help

man rpmrebuilder

info rpmrebuilder

seemed pretty self explainatory. I'm in RH9 rt now and don't have ML9.1 in fstab so I can't chroot to it, but you can also do;

urpmf --summary --description rpmrebuilder

to get an Idea of what it is suppose to do. I would have tried it by now, but I can't afford a powerpack and I'm dialup. You're highspeed aren't you? Just download the .src.rpm's.

I guess that's the point. I don't have the time or the connetion. A distro that requires me to spend a day simply installing KDE seems highly impracticle as well...

You don't need time... you only need the connecton!! You only have to type two words to install (ie download, configure, compile and install) KDE.

emerge kde

.. and then wait a day or two for Portage to install KDE on your machine :lol: . .. I mean, this isn't long to type 2 words :wink:

MOttS

No. If I remember correctly 

rpmrebuilder --help 

the exact name is 'rpmbuild', a symbolic link to /usr/lib/rpm/rpmb, which is the same that "rpm --rebuild". ;)

Also, ezroller, if you still want to do it, search in this board (also in google) for the string "mandrake a la gentoo"; you should find a link to a document that explains step by step how to do it. Basically the things you have to do are:

a) compile in this order: binutils, gcc, glibc

B) compile again in this order: binutils and gcc (thus getting a full optimized compiler and libraries)

c) compile every app you'd like to optimize

(ofcourse using the optimized flags for your cpu)