Tired of hearing about Gentoo!

SoulSe

Is Gentoo super-GEEK?  

1. 1. Is Gentoo super-GEEK?

• Yes, perfect for me.
    • No, it is super-MEEK
    • Surely there is a super-duper board for Gentoo users?
    • It causes funky feelings in my crotch...
    • Gentoo Schmentoo... gimme my Mandrake!!!
    • You just don't understand us man. Sheesh, I'm hurt...

No. If I remember correctly 

rpmrebuilder --help 

the exact name is 'rpmbuild', a symbolic link to /usr/lib/rpm/rpmb, which is the same that "rpm --rebuild". ;)

Also, ezroller, if you still want to do it, search in this board (also in google) for the string "mandrake a la gentoo"; you should find a link to a document that explains step by step how to do it. Basically the things you have to do are:

a) compile in this order: binutils, gcc, glibc

B) compile again in this order: binutils and gcc (thus getting a full optimized compiler and libraries)

c) compile every app you'd like to optimize

(ofcourse using the optimized flags for your cpu)

I have done that and have a very stable fast system, but now i feel that i need to do something disruptive because stability can be boring(on my home systems not work ones).

So i bought a kt400 board to replace my kt333 board, but i don't think thats going to make much difference, except that i will be able to set the agp to 8X which could be interesting.

Uuummm....no, well ok I had the name slightly wrong but......

Name: rpm-rebuilder

Version: 0.7.1-1mdk

Size: 54 KB

Summary: Tools to build/check distributions

Description: The rpm-rebuilder package contains a set of tools written in bourne shell and python.

check-distrib: checks if a set of source and binary rpms are in sync.

rpm-rebuilder: build a set of rpms from a set of srpms.

compute-build-requires: trace an rpm build command to find the BuildRequires it needs.

compute-compile-order: from the sets of binary and sources rpms, find the order in which the source rpms must be recompiled.

:wink: :mrgreen:

You are right with the name, but seems that we are not talking about the same ;)

That looks like that is some advanced package to do a bunch of rpm packages compilation at once.

I didn't know that exists such thing existed :shock: Seems that is still under development, but maybe I'd take a look to it during the following days. :D

But your package requires mine to work :mrgreen: :lol:

Since I won't have the good bandwidth I have right now (I am going back home soon), I don't think I will use gentoo. I will stay with mandrake for now, reducing my updates to just security updates (going back to 56k really really hurts).

I hear that thanks to mandrake you can now "urpmi gentoo" ! Just pop in CD3!

But seriously folks..

Gentoo is just the single best way to understand linux. Having to build it teaches you a lot. I did it while still newbiesque and tripled my understanding overnight. (The installation instructions aren't that tough) I'm not running it right *now* but I'll quad boot with win, mdk, gen, and freebsd soon. The best of ~3.5 worlds!

You're right, great for servers because you can optimize the whole system for a p4 or athlon xp or whatever, and great for speed demon desktop users... but if you're the init 3 type I like it too, not as much for speed, but the home feeling, and of course, portage kicks @$$.

Mandrake is just the best for newbies. urpmi, the MCC, etc. Plus stuff working out of the box. Great fonts, etc. I like to run mdk so that I'm on top of things because my ultimate goal is to be able to help someone else use linux when they decide they've had enough, too. :D Wouldn't want them to turn back because of lack of support ;) Why do you think I'm here? The mandrake give-and-take relationship is simply unmatched.

Oh, and SoulSe? Gentoo does have forums. :P

Oh, and SoulSe? Gentoo does have forums. :P

Yeah, I know - I actually posted there when I was finding out more, it's a highly populated board as well.

I guess one day when I have the bandwidth and the time (might have to wait for retirement) - I will try Gentoo for one reason: the learning curve.

But can't playing with slackware lead to similar linux-knowingness? I guess it's the frustration factor that differs :wink:

Yep, I'm going to give it a go.

I was going to do LSF and beyond LFS but perhaps this will come first.

Now I just need to get my DSL connection!

In all seriousness why knock it, have you tried it? Sound like yuo haven't yet.

p.s. My first linux install was a slackware 2.0. :-)

I'm pretty interested into trying the Gentoo for my new shiny XBox once I get a mod chip.