How many times does your linux-distro crash/month?.( cause?)

Michel

How many times does your linux-distro crash in a month??  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How many times does your linux-distro crash in a month??

• 0 :)
    • <1
    • 1-3
    • 3-7
    • 7-15
    • >15????

I was just replying to a well known message of which filesystems sgould I choose..and because linux is seen a s a stable platform and everyone says it is stable..still sometimes it crashes( maybe not linux-kernel, but the xserver,..anayway you have to restart..). Sometimes, on whatever reason, it crashes..). So, how many times a month does it crash?? and how come..

XServer crashes are not really a complete system failure, because you can restart only teh xserver, but on personal desktops, you're still logging out..so these may also be seen as crashes..but please mention it is a xserver crash.

I'm very curious...:)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 5 machines at home

1x Dual p3 with gentoo (never crashed it ever)

1x p4 with gentoo (X crashes but linux never has)

1x g3 with debian (never crashes, but isn't on often)

1x celeron 466 with mandrake 9.0 (never crashed it)

1x celeron 333 with mandrake MNF (never crashed it)

8)

I have 3 machines at home

• P200MMX with:

Mandrake GNU/Linux 8.1, updated from 8.0 Never had a crash (It has been running linux since 1999 w/o a single crash (several distros))

Windows95, crash once each 3/4 sessions (rarely used)

[*]P166MMX with:

Slackware 8.1, only had a crash once but was a HD failure, I restored it w/o reinstalling.

[*]PII,350MHz with:

Slackware 8.1, never crashed

Windows 98: has crashed several times (not counting all the times I had to restart it when adding a new feature :shock: )

In all of them I use ReiserFS on all the partitions (except on "root" fs which I use ext3 since the crash on my P166MMX --because it can easily boot as ext2 when needed (dangerous situations) --)

I have 3 machines at home

1 AthlonXP 1800 crashes at least once a day, (because of me

allways playing, recompiling learning) running 9.1

2 Athlon 1.1 never crashed last time it was rebooted was to

upgrade from mdk 8.2 to 9.0 still running 9.0

(web/email/halflife server)

3 P4 2.4Ghz laptop, its never on long enougth to crash running

9.1, (web suffing, word processing, sshing to computer one to

reboot it

I voted "less than 1" because linux really crashed once during the 8.0 days, and everytime it has had problems since, it has been x, or a program in x, that I have been experimenting with. In other words, I am the only cause of my crashes. :lol:

I agree with Ixthusdan over the <1

old 8.2 server with celeron 533 in a strange compaq box.

24*7* (days since I moved)

Erm, never but I could make it. I just cant afford to.

Laptop (Amilo D),

Not since I put 9.0 over 9.0 beta. Its usually on.

Server Athalon 1400 - With NVIDIA - hasn't not crashed since I put on 9.1, prior to that uptime was only interupted when I installed 9.0 over 8.2. Actually had a problem with XawTV for a while which locked the whole thing up, diaplay was there but everything else was down, not even replying to a ping. Also autofs caused some rpblems (but only on shutdown through not unmounting /net) once I got rid of this it was fine but is a disordered shutdown a crash?

Toy: Shuttle with Duron 1300.

As with above, this time I put a spare disk in and UNPLUGGED the other.

P100 (seriously) 256MB RAM in an old Dell Box.

Well its actually unplugged now but if I remember it had Mdk 8.1 and I don't remember it ever crashing.

Do virtual machines count (VMWARE?)

Of course the VMWARE Win98 is up and down like a yoyo, Lindows is stable even though its running as root? and old Lycoris is stable too.

1-3 for me usually 2...not sure why. It's always while I'm on the internet, and never when not :roll: I guess the good news is that with ML8.1 it was more like 15 times and with 9.0 about 4-6 times a month so 9.1 is nice at only 2. It hasn't happen since I started using the stable vanilla kernel with the ac-patch and stopped using the unstable kernel released with 9.1 :roll: :P

I also have debian based Libranet-2.8 with the stable 2.4.20 kernel and it's been fantastic.

Celeron600

192MB RAM

30GB 7200RPM Maxtor

Guest Adriano
We have a lot of power failures here, and I like experimenting with kernels, so mine is >7

Somehow, I don't think "power failures" counts as "Linux crashes". :) Otherwise, I should have counted the time I involuntarily kicked the power plug.

I haven't managed to crash Mandrake 9.1 since I installed it. Before that, with 8.2, everything was smooth except my video card (a trident 3D Blade) which hung X ( => the computer) sometimes when starting. It works really well now - if you don't ask for 3D support, o' course.

The worst moments with 9.1 were when loading some HUGE xls file on OOCalc. It hogged every inch of CPU it could grab. I feared everything was going the button way. But no, after a minute or so it loaded the file, all's well, no complaints. I really like this distro. Feels very solid & responsive to me.

Could have sworn I saw something in there about rebooting, regardless of the cause. Must have been the bit about restarting X. As far as that goes, my machine never crashes (and I'm using the Development grimoire of the Development branch of Sourcemage) and I do extremely processor intensive work.

Guest JaseP

Once properly set up, my system has never crashed. Now WineX games have locked the X-server, but I'm not counting that. I count that as a WINDOZE crash. But Linux,... never.

I have screwed things up by changing things I shouldn't have, but again, not a crash, more like unintentional sabotage.

Now my system at work which is a Windoze box, it crashes around 4 times per week.

My server very rarely crash, not even X.

Now my desktop is entirely a different story. I think X hangs about once a day on average. I can always kill X from my server and restart it. It's all epox's fault, not mandrake since other nforce2 mb doesn't have this problem.