How many times does your linux-distro crash/month?.( cause?)

Michel

How many times does your linux-distro crash in a month??  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How many times does your linux-distro crash in a month??

• 0 :)
    • <1
    • 1-3
    • 3-7
    • 7-15
    • >15????

Never and I have one workstation, one web/ftp and eventually email server and one dedicated box as a firewall.

Apps crash, X has occasionally but never linux. What are you doing to make linux crash?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes more than 15 a month, but usually 7-15

The reason? When I start XawTV, Mozilla, Evoluion and GTK-Gnutella together, my MDK 9 seems to complain by crushing the computer completely. It freezes the whole system, I can't even Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to shut down the X Server, so I am assuming it's something at the kernel level going down.

I ahve a PIII-750 with 512MB Ram...

Also consider the fact I use my computer as a web server and MySQL server, doing considerable work in the background for GIS (Geographic Information Systems).

I am not complaining, I couldn't even imagine doing half the work in Windows.

One more complaint. Whenever I tried to open up a specific web page, my linux box crashes. Here is the URL for all in need of adventures.

http://faculty.washington.edu/sparke/ Please note, the whole computer simply freezes with my Mozilla (1.1 with all the plugins around). Yes, I do use lynx to view it. No need to suggest it :)

:)

One more complaint. Whenever I tried to open up a specific web page, my linux box crashes. Here is the URL for all in need of adventures.

http://faculty.washington.edu/sparke/ Please note, the whole computer simply freezes with my Mozilla (1.1 with all the plugins around). Yes, I do use lynx to view it. No need to suggest it :)

The url works fine with me..I'm using a builf of mozilla..not the newest but of a month ago or so.

Maybe when you upgrade your brwoser, it won't crash..

never now i have rebuilt most of the system for athlon-xp and use the latest nvidia drivers, before i would have X freezes sometimes caused by mozilla(flash plugin me thinks) but it was possible to recover without rebooting (Oh and some of the games would occasionally segfault back to the desktop, but not anymore).

Which is a great feature of linux, if X or a program becomes unstable just kill it and restart that program, the entire os doesn't become unstable afterwards like windows usually does.

Guest fubar::chi

well you said linux-distro and not linux itself so I put down 3-7 (yeah that one person is me). I also overheat on a fairly regular basis (if overclocked) but that's another matter altogether). The program that never fails to crash X is mplayer. You have to be playing a lot of video's for a long time preferably in fullscreen mode, but eventually, inevitably, it will crash and take X and you resources right along with it. It'll do this btw way when switching to another video. Go on, try it. You can probably get it to happen with a dvd playing (provides the time factor if you don't have lots a videos/mpg hanging around, it doesn't have the switching variable however so maybe not :roll: )

Guest fubar::chi
Sometimes more than 15 a month, but usually 7-15

The reason? When I start XawTV, Mozilla, Evoluion and GTK-Gnutella together, my MDK 9 seems to complain by crushing the computer completely. It freezes the whole system, I can't even Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to shut down the X Server, so I am assuming it's something at the kernel level going down.

I ahve a PIII-750 with 512MB Ram...

Also consider the fact I use my computer as a web server and MySQL server, doing considerable work in the background for GIS (Geographic Information Systems).

I am not complaining, I couldn't even imagine doing half the work in Windows. 

That url is weird in konqy too. it took a while for it to load and its not because my connection's slow

Guest Adriano

I checked the page in opera and validated it.. it has upwards of 100 coding errors. The validator says the page is definitely not valid. I'd suggest a polite request to fix it...

Total lock ups. 0

X cracking up. 1, don't know why, I think it might have been a glitch with my ext3 fs. Rebooted the system and everything ran fine.

I use netscape and its starting to lockup once in a while. But a one minute wait and it continues normaly.

Othen than me screwing with something Mandrake 9.1 is a rock.

Since I am still relatively new to Linux, I think most of my crashes are probably due to the learning curve more than to OS problems per se. :oops: But hey, I am learning thanks to you all!

I have a strange x font server issue that hangs everything about 2-3 times per month. (mouse stops responding, not able to use keyboard cmds -- total freeze requires powerdown) Always when using Opera and surfing. Haven't been able to track it down yet, but I think it is my settings somewhere and not the OS.

Compared to the 5 crashes experienced PER DAY :roll: at times with my WinME laptop, I am very pleased with ML 9.1! 8)

HW: Abit KR7A-133; Athlon XP 1600; 512mb ram; 40 gb 7200rpm Maxtor hd; Liteon 48x24x48 cdrw; Asus 52x cdrom; SB Live 5.1; Asus V3800 video 32mb TNT2

I think we need to define a crash ...

Lvl 0) process/app hangs but can be killed (not really a crash)

Lvl 1) X server freezes but CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE and or switch tty works and recoverable

Lvl 2A) X server crashes, keyboard input locked and external admin needed via ssh or webmin whatever.

Lvl 2B) Services will not stop, orderly shutdown impossible, (cannot unmount dah dah or a process won't die.)

Lvl 3) Network services denied (ssh, telnet etc.) but network still up (can be pinged)

Lvl 4) Mystery power button needed, no response from ping, keyboard, ANYTHING - Can't access it from local therefore don't know why and can't access it remotely therefore don't know why.

COMMENTS (I started at zero cos you can't call it a crash)

(2A and 2B are dissimilar reasons but the result is the same, you can theoretically fix it from another machine)

Guest Adriano

I agree with that. or, as they'd say, AOL!

I used to suffer your Level 2A. I even tried to use that magic sequence with SysRQ... never worked.

If I had a buck for every time mplayer shut itself down...

Anyway, that was in the good old 8.2 days (nostalgic tear)