redhat 9

Guest c_m_f

Guest c_m_f

ok...well im the first :D

also what is redhat 9 like, i dont paticularly liek teh ethics of redhat, but is this such a major jump as to another version number release?

Guest Grimey

I'm a noob so I don't really notice that much differences but I have used it and I dunno, I just didn't like how it ran. Can't really be any more specific then that except that I really dont' care for Red Hat at all. Just my opinion...

I use redhat on my work machine (they won't let me use mandrake, no clue why-tho I doubt that'd know it if I used mandrake instead) and I don't care for it much. It looks nice and all, but I've gotten so used to mandrakes setup and tools that I don't find redhat to be all that "user-friendly" in the end.

just my two cents.

Well, RedHat 9 is not really a major jump. Its basically 8.1, but since Mandrake was releasing 9.1 and Suse is about to release 9.0 also... RedHat decided it should be on version 9 too.

Notice that they dont call it 9.0. Next version wil be 10.

Those version number are stupids. It's like which company will get to 129876239872983742983 the first. Come on .. I think the company should promote their release by names instead of numbers. Like Windows (doh) did with WinMe and XP.. they stoped to talk about number. I really prefer to talk about Mandrake Bamboo than Mandrake 9.1. Just my personnal opinion..

MOtts

RH9 is named Shrike... thats some kind of anti radiation missle used to target radar. Very... John Wayne.

Preferred 8.1 (beta) though... named Pheobe. That was much better. I'drather be reminded of Pheobe Kates.

In my opinion the names for Mandrake distro's blow..

bamboo >>> cummon.

RedHat use cool names like psyche and sea wolf .!!!

Their names are hardcore as apposed to mdk's soft names.!!

i dont know if you are just kidding or what but i think mandrakesoft is after a philosophical name that should symbolize their current status. a bamboo is a resilient plant. It belongs to the grass family which is pretty incredible if you consider its height. A bamboo plant is so resilient that it can withstand storms. it does this by swaying with the wind; where other trees survive using their thick trunks and huge root systems, bamboo plants weather the storm by swaying with the wind.

i think the name is cool. but then it might be just me. i would have appreciated it if its named rice stalk, but i dont think the distro has been fit enough to be named such.

ciao!

My site .... yeah... that's a dismal affair...

I needed the hard drive for a workstation and after that I am gonna use the drive for a mail server.... so who knows when the site will be back up again... I should actually remove the link when I'm not feeling lazy...

Hopefully it will be up again soon, when I have time to put together another server... need to scratch through tons of old PC parts and find parts that work..!!

As for the MDK naming thing.. I'm not into this whole philosophical meanings of things... I like it to sound cool and mean, the whole first impressions thing I guess. But yeah you have a point about the bamboo thing, but then what about dolphin, a lot can be said about a dolphin but cummon, who wants their linux distro named after a "fish" !!

As for the MDK naming thing.. I'm not into this whole philosophical meanings of things... I like it to sound cool and mean, the whole first impressions thing I guess. But yeah you have a point about the bamboo thing, but then what about dolphin, a lot can be said about a dolphin but cummon, who wants their linux distro named after a "fish" !!

Errr... dolphin is not a fish, it's a mammal.

In fact, it is widely known that dolphin is a very intelligent animal. I think it is the most intelligent non-simian animals around. Not to mention friendly, too. I mean.. you want mandrake to be a friendly distro aren't you?

But I guess anything is better than traktopel :P

Dolphins are great, if you ever get a chance to swim with bottle nose dolphins do so!.

On time at the beach had a pod of around 40-50 turn up, they stayed for about 3 hours which is very uncommon.

Didn't even notice i had been swimming for 3hrs straight untill i got out of the water (at which point i knew big time :wink: ).

Had my dive flippers and a mask and snorkel so i could do a lot of underwater swimming fantastic, dive down and have 2.5+ meter long dolphins swimming on both sides and underneath you around a meter away.

Fish indeed :roll:

'but then what about dolphin, a lot can be said about a dolphin but cummon, who wants their linux distro named after a 'fish'"

...the ones that use a distro symobolized by a Penguin? :D

Cannon:

Well RedHat tends to be more conservative in its packaging and features. Mandrake tends to give you the latest and has more innovative features.

But I really think it all boils down to support.