redhat 9

Guest c_m_f

I know a dolphin is a mammal, thats why I put it in ""..!!

I should have used the term "sea creature" rather than fish.

My point is this: When you want to sell eg. a car, you put the most beautiful women you can find on the bonnet. It's that whole first impression thing. If you really took the time to think about everything you looked at or names they gave to everything (by everyone) you have way too much time on your hands.

I suppose for people that have way too much time on their hands to think about names as apposed functionability and usability, dolphin or bamboo would sound good to them.

I'm not saying that redhat is better, I just think that redhat has a better naming scheme.

Take "sea wolf" as an example. When you think about the name it could mean that it's the hunter and the killer in the big sea of linux distro's. It's number one and that other distro fear it...

Any company that releases a product should think about what they're going to name their product because the name sells. I don't think that Mandrake's naming scheme does the job as well as it should.

Maybe for a philosophy professor at a university, but then all they'd want to do is type in their word processor, in which case they'd use windoze!!

I disagree. Dolphins/porpoises are known to be smart, helpful and couragous. Sounds like pretty good qualifications to me. I mean, they fend off sharks, rescue humans, sweep for mines, what's so wimpy about that?

Sea Wolf? It sounds like something a first year madison avenue intern would come up with as a name for a toy advertised during saturday morning cartoons. It doesn't engender any respect in me, quite the opposite, actually - but that's just my opinion.

Mandrake is a plant, bamboo is a plant. Sounds reasonable to me, when put alongside the attributes of bamboo mentioned earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Names are much harder to remember than numbers. Redhat has 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 2.1, 3.0.3, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 8.0 and 9.0. Thats 20 names. Who's going to memorize 20 names ? Add to that what mandrake, suse, slackware, debian, gentoo, yoper, ..... have.

2. Names do not give a sense of chronology. Is "seahorse" a later release than "bluewhale" ? Who knows ? They also don't tell u which distro they belong to. Basically names contain no useful information. Its good to have numbers. In fact, the numbering is usually done with a pupose. All redhat 7.x distros are similar as compared to 6.x distros and 8.x distros since:

6.x is glibc-2.1.3/gcc-2.95 based

7.x is glibc-2.2.x/gcc-2.96 based

8.0/9.0 is glibc-2.3.2/gcc-3.2.x based

I'm used to combos, where either portion tells you what it is.  Like F-15 Strike Eagle, WAGB-10 USCGC Polar Star,  "Colleen" & "Candy" and 400 & 800, etc

Yeah.. but those stuffs are not updated every 6 months.. I mean.. what would happen if an F-15 is upgraded every 6 months where the electronics are changed, the cockpit got redesigned, etc, etc, etc.. In 2 years.. an F-15 could look like.. well a spaceship :)

I guess the numbering system is like the year of the car model. It make sense for a sense of progression.

I never refer to a distribution by name anyway (unless I'm in an IRC channel and we're discussing a particular version). If I were running the company, I'd name the variations, and keep those variation names plus the version number. By variations I mean things like Prosuite, power pack, downloadable, corporate server, etc - name them something fancy.

• 1 month later...
Guest FenestraeNunquam

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned somewhere in this post or not, but I recently read somewhere that dolphins are the only other things, besides humans, that have sex just for pleasure.

Just an interest fact, if true. Guess dolphins really are smart.