loss of sound

erniev

Hi,

I have Mandriva 2007 (free) installed all was going well but now have lost all sound - I am very much a newbie so any suggestions on how to get the sound back would be very welcome.

Regards,

ernie

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Have you launched Amarok recently? If you have, you need to exit it properly (click right on the Amarok icon in the toolbar at the bottom of the screen - then quit) or you'll hear no sound.

Jimtim,

thank you for the suggestion - and yes the amorak icon was in the tool bar - I quit as you suggested, mno sound - restarted the system and still no sound.....

Yes the sound was working well initially,-----

lspci -v |grep Sound - no response

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****

card 0: V8235 [VIA 8235], device 0: VIA 8235 [VIA 8235]

Subdevices: 4/4

Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Subdevice #1: subdevice #1

Subdevice #2: subdevice #2

Subdevice #3: subdevice #3

card 0: V8235 [VIA 8235], device 1: VIA 8235 [VIA 8235]

Subdevices: 1/1

Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I've had this problem when logging out then restarting KDE.

The solution has been to open a terminal window, type su and enter root password. then as root run alsaconf. This restores my sound.

I haven't yet discovered why alsa dies as it doesn't happen everytime I logout and back in.

Good luck! Let us know if this helps you.

Camelrider is right. Before you do something that might add to complexity, run alsaconf as root. make sure that the channels are unmuted. If everything is set, type as root

alsactl store

this will save the setting. Now check if you have a working sound again. If not, then we will have to check if there is yet another problem occuring, but let us take one step at a time.

I had a problem similar to this one and it turned out that I had inadvertently changed a switch setting in the kmix mixer. The setting in question was marked Exchange Front/Surround, and I set it to on. I only found this out by setting and re-setting all the switches. So if you have a via 8XXX mixer it may well be worth while having a look.

Camelrider is right. Before you do something that might add to complexity, run alsaconf as root. make sure that the channels are unmuted. If everything is set, type as root

aslactl store

this will save the setting. Now check if you have a working sound again. If not, then we will have to check if there is yet another problem occuring, but let us take one step at a time.

Thanks you for the suggestions here is the result of trying alsaconf - am I getting something wrong here??? Further suggestions gratefully received..

[root@localhost erniev]# alsaconf

bash: alsaconf: command not found

[root@localhost erniev]# aslactlstore

bash: aslactlstore: command not found

[root@localhost erniev]# aslactl store

bash: aslactl: command not found

I had a problem similar to this one and it turned out that I had inadvertently changed a switch setting in the kmix mixer. The setting in question was marked Exchange Front/Surround, and I set it to on. I only found this out by setting and re-setting all the switches. So if you have a via 8XXX mixer it may well be worth while having a look.

I had a look at Kmix but do not have the VIA8235 option - as shown on your example

I checked Kmix help for hardwars used and

Sound drivers supported: ALSA + OSS

Sound drivers used: ALSA

however from a previous suggestion I tried as root alfaconf and got the following

[root@localhost erniev]# alsaconf

bash: alsaconf: command not found

[root@localhost erniev]# aslactlstore

bash: aslactlstore: command not found

[root@localhost erniev]# aslactl store

Open KDE Control Centre and go to .......Sound and multimedia.....then.....Sound System. Then go to General.

Make certain hat there is a tick in the .....Enable the Sound System.....And especially a tick in.....Enable networked sound

Then select the ....Hardware tab .....and ensure there is a tick in....Full Duplex.

I hope this helps. Cheers. John.

Open KDE Control Centre and go to .......Sound and multimedia.....then.....Sound System. Then go to General.

Make certain hat there is a tick in the .....Enable the Sound System.....And especially a tick in.....Enable networked sound

Then select the ....Hardware tab .....and ensure there is a tick in....Full Duplex.

I hope this helps. Cheers. John.

John,

Thank you - I followed your insturctions and now I have sound when listineing to radio on the internet - but not if I try to play a CD?

Questions - what would I have done to shut off the sound in the first place and what must I know do to get sound when playing CD's?

Regards to you

ernie

You have just the alsa installed as a kernel module, it seems. Do as root

urpmi alsaconf alsa-utils alsa-plugins

and try again from console.

Scarecrow,

here is the output from your suggestion...

[root@localhost erniev]# urpmi alsaconf alsa-utils alsa-plugins

no package named alsaconf

no package named alsa-plugins

[root@localhost erniev]#

Regards,

ernie

I presume that you are trying to use KSCD to play your Music CDs.

Open kscd (don't insert a disc just yet) and click on .....Extras.......Configure kscd.......CD Player.......Settings and behaviour.

Go down to ......CD-ROM device...and make sure there is a tick in.......Use Direct Digital Playback...

Then in ....Select audio backend ....make sure to select......alsa.

Then click on ....Apply. Now try your disc and see if this has done the trick.

Cheers. John.