Dell Latitude

luke9511

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mandriva works on dependencies. Chances are for kaffeine to work, it requires a kde dependency for some reason.

This doesn't necessarily mean that kaffeine is for kde, it's just the way mandriva has been set up to use certain dependencies. If the source was downloading from kaffeine and then compiled on your machine, it'd work fine. But it's just more hassle, than actually installing the rpm and letting it install the dependencies.

i cant get xmms on linux cause im at school and cant connect to the network sense im not allowed to use the ethernet cables on my laptop and i cant use my wireless card on linux sense i cant figure out how connect to my schools wireless network with my wireless card

hi. just out of curiosity...perhaps i missed this. do you have an ifcfg-wlan0 file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts? it should contain entries like

ONBOOT=yes

ESSID=(your school's name)

CHANNEL=(xx) (normally numbered 1-11)

DEVICE=wlan0

TYPE=wireless

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

and potentially some other stuff. i've got a broadcom wireless nic working on my wife's dell through ndiswrapper. i'm a student at ncsu and the wireless connection requires dhcp (no channel specification) and then you get browsed to a website to log onto using my id and password. maybe your school has an it dept. that is willing to tell you what you need to use their wireless network, too.

Normally, to get a usb flash working, all you need to do is make sure you have HardDrake running, and it'll pick it up as soon as you plug it in.

To use your wireless, your going to need to know the settings, so that you can gain access to the access point and use it. Else, you'll find it very difficult indeed, especially if the access-point has been secured.