Dell Latitude

luke9511

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once you've gotten your kernel-source installed, and that it matches your running kernel, you should be fine to use the make commands as per the ndiswrapper documentation.

The way I check to make sure is using these commands:

uname -r
ls -l /usr/src

First reports kernel number version, and the second checks the /usr/src directory to see if your kernel source is installed, and does a long listing so you can see what the number is and also that /usr/src/linux points to the kernel source.

where do i get the kernel source? cause when i do urpmi kernel-source it asks for cd3 and im back to where i installed what i wasnt supposed to on i think page 2 or 3 of this post but this time its just the source

Edited by luke9511

Now that you have the urpmi sources installed, which you got from easy urpmi, try these commands first, and post back the results for me.

uname -r

then do this:

urpmf --name kernel-source

this will search your media for anything showing kernel-source. Post the results, then I can help you go to your next step.

[root@localhost trey]# uname -r

2.6.8.1-12mdk

[root@localhost trey]# urpmf --name kernel-source
kernel-source:kernel-source-2.4.27-0.pre2.1mdk.i586.rpm
kernel-source-2.6:kernel-source-2.6-2.6.8.1-12mdk.i586.rpm
kernel-source-2.4:kernel-source-2.4-2.4.28-0.rc1.6mdk.i586.rpm
kernel-source-2.6:kernel-source-2.6-2.6.8.1-26mdk.i586.rpm
kernel-source-stripped-2.6:kernel-source-stripped-2.6-2.6.8.1-26mdk.i586.rpm
kernel-source:kernel-source-2.4.27-0.pre2.1mdk.i586.rpm
kernel-source-2.6:kernel-source-2.6-2.6.8.1-12mdk.i586.rpm
kernel-source-stripped-2.6:kernel-source-stripped-2.6-2.6.8.1-12mdk.i586.rpm

Edited by luke9511

After typing it, it will either ask for your CD's or it will download from the internet. Couple of ways to make sure it's installed:

rpm -qa kernel-source

will list what's installed. Or, you can do:

ls -l /usr/src

which will show the directory it's located in.

Did it give an error message? You can type the full line with the .i586.rpm as well on the end. But normally isn't required.

I did think, that it might require an upgrade to your kernel, since you're running the default one with 10.1, of where there have been a few updates. I did notice there is another kernel-source called 2.6.8.1.26 which has probably superceded the one I asked you to install.

A way to check, is try to install this one, and if it installs, then the other one won't install because of the later version. Normally it gives an error message hinting at this though.

OK, try the other kernel source. If you look back in the urpmf list that you posted, there is a kernel-source-2.6-2.6.8.1-26mdk.i586.rpm. Try installing this, see if throws back an error, or installs.

Normally when a package supercedes a previous one, whilst they both still exist on the list, it won't let you install the older version. Or at least, this is what I have found.