New to linux - how to install from scratch?

wakish

wakish,

Not a direct answer to your question, but worth checking out before you proceed with your 3 cd install:

1. http://www.pdr60.com/index.php >> Check out PRD60's How To on Building a Mandriva 2006 Desktop which covers install using 3 CD set.

2. http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/review2006.html >> Check out aRTee's 3 part review of Mandriva 2006 which covers in detail install and many applications.

3. http://easylinux.info/wiki/Mandriva >> Unofficial Mandriva Linux 2006 Starter Guide

Tip: Burn your 3 CD set iso files at the slowest speed to known good name brand media disks for best results.

-Bill

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General questions arise: Which type of ADSL setup do you use?

1. external ADSL modem?

2. external USB-ADSL modem?

3. internal ADSL modem?

4. external router/adsl-modem combo, connected through an ethernet card?

5. wireless adsl-modem/router?

Also take a look here:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=15646

Does the USB modem have a LAN connection/port somewhere? If yes, set up a LAN connection. USB modems can be quirky to set up from what I experienced/read on this board. If you have a LAN port, set up a connection between an ethernet-card from your box to the modem and you are almost done.

If you want/need to try the USB-way, open up the MCC and go to the networking section and select an ADSL connection and fill in all data that is needed. Check if your connection works from a terminal. Run as root user (login with "su", followed by root password)

adsl-start

(for terminating the process, press ctrl+c)

If it works... nothing to add. If you get stuck, please explain exactly what you did, what went wrong/error messages you got and what hardware you are using (brand of modem) and if it gets recognised by Mandriva.

no my USB adsl does not have a LAN in it. It has only two "out", one for phone and the other for for ADSL. Basically this 2 "out" forms part of a "splitter". Then a third part is the USB connector which is only to connect to my pc as a USB.

But my pc itself has a LAN port.

I will try the other method you suggested and i will post my results again soon!

Take care!

Edited by wakish

Oh man, i'm tired with all this!

I took 2whole days trying to set up this ADSL and Mandriva!!!!. I have formatted and re-installed almost 30times.

I fed up and tired now. :(

Pleas please i badly need help right now.

Here is what problems i got:

1) With installation of 3CDs Mandiva 2006

(i) When installed 1st cd, i get this error:

there was an error installing packages:

xorg-x11-75dpi-fonts-6.91.cus20050915.2mdk.i586

I clicked "continue anyway"

(ii) When installing 2nd Cd, i get this error:

gnome-terminal-2.10.0-1.mdk.i586

still I clicked "continue anyway"

Then after some few seconds, i get this:

libkdemultimedia-noatun-3.4.2-10mdk.i586

//but the installation was done nevertheless!

2) Now i after a problem*(i will tell you below), i re-clean install mandriva.

(i) When installed 1st cd, NO error!

(ii) When installing 2nd Cd, i get this error:

gnome-terminal-2.10.0-1.mdk.i586

still I clicked "continue anyway"

3) now again re-clean install after that same problem*.

==>this time i get an error on 2nd Cd installation:

libkdemultimedia-noatun-3.4.2-10mdk.i586

So each time i get like a recurive problem!!!!! That's irritating!

NOW, what's thatcaused by the ADSL!!!!!!!

The system detected my USB ADLS SAGEM 800 perfectly! I configured it under every possible option given there + reading the help guide too!

BUT no connection was ever possible!!!!!

And when i reboot, each time, reboot fails because of a failure in detecting i don't what interface for the ADSL!!!!!!

And that's why i have to re-install upto what i said!!

I took patience and install that stuff almost 30times! I'm not joking, i was so desperate to get my first ever linux distro to work!

But unfortunately i'm very very very disapointed!!!

I left my pc like it is with no OS on it..i'm fed up.

I'm posting from my cousin's pc...

i will staying rit here for some moments if someone can help hopefully... :(

I badly want to be able to run a linux distro successfully with all stuff working :(

please help!

Media errors when installing normally suggest that the CD is a bad burn. I would suggest reburning the CD's but at a slower speed, so 4x speed is probably much better for you. It has been known to experience problems burning at faster speeds.

Also, do an md5sum check if your media, as the downloaded iso's could be corrupted as well. If you connect to the ftp mirror you downloaded them from, there are md5sum files in here as well.

The file to download is called Mandriva-Linux-Free-2006-CD.i586.md5.asc and has all three md5 sums to check against the media you downloaded.

You might be wondering what this has to do with your ADSL problem? It could be everything to do with it, since if the disks are corrupted, whilst your installation finished, you might have corrupted files installed, and that could be why you're experiencing the problems you are getting.

The only thing I can think of is that your cd/dvd-drive might need some lens-cleaning. Otherwise I have no idea what might bork your installation. Try the following trick. Reinsert the CDs, but instead of doing a reinstall, choose the "upgrade" option. Maybe the system can repair the damaged packages on your system that way.

As Mandriva seems to be doing werid things with your box, I suggest you try another distro like Kanotix (live-cd and hdd-install capable distro that only needs one CD) and see if everything works there or if you run into the same networking/hardware problems there.

I am sorry that you encounter that many problems right now... I know, this is frustrating.

yeah, i will try to download another distro to try..

i will let you know about it!

arctic, it's ok.. you are not responsible for this.. perhaps i'm just unlucky..

arctic, i'm downloading KANOTIX-2005-04 for the page http://kanotix.com/index.php?&newlang=eng

Is it thr right version?

and what is the "KANOTIX-2005-04 md5-sum" for??

Regards!

Edited by wakish

Don´t give up Wakish! I have had Mandrake 10.1 running on a dedicated pentiium 3 PC now for about a year and if you care to check my posts you will see that I have had a few problems myself.

I installed from a set of CDś I got with a linux magazine - December 2005 issue of Linux Magazine has a free version of Mandriva. The magazine costs Six pounds (I am in OZ where the use $ :D )

I am now at the stage where I am really getting a buzz out of using Linux. I think you are on the right tram with Mandriva.

I also have had trouble with ADSL but after 2 weeks I found out I had a faulty modem :P . When I get it back from the supplier I will get it up and running! The answers to many problems are not always the first ones that come to mind.

MCC is great, so is Urpmi and I am just beginning to discover some of the delights of Konqueror - a fitting name for this mighty peice of software! Good luck :drum:

Hmm.. a faulty modem... interesting idea... We can find out that perhaps with Kanotix.

http://kanotix.com/index.php?name=Download...wdownload&cid=1

this is the right site for downloading. The md5 file you see there for download is only for checking if your download is corrupt or if it is okay by checking the md5sum against the iso.

I know that I am not responsible for Mandriva apparently not working but I feel sorry because we spent a lot of time on trying to get it up and running and not going anywhere. Mandriva is a great distro, but even Mandriva has its limits, just like every other distro. Not every piece of hardware will work smoothly with Linux. That's computer-life.... :puke:

Don´t give up Wakish! I have had Mandrake 10.1 running on a dedicated pentiium 3 PC now for about a year and if you care to check my posts you will see that I have had a few problems myself.

I installed from a set of CDś I got with a linux magazine - December 2005 issue of Linux Magazine has a free version of Mandriva. The magazine costs Six pounds (I am in OZ where the use $ :D )

I am now at the stage where I am really getting a buzz out of using Linux. I think you are on the right tram with Mandriva.

I also have had trouble with ADSL but after 2 weeks I found out I had a faulty modem :P . When I get it back from the supplier I will get it up and running! The answers to many problems are not always the first ones that come to mind.

MCC is great, so is Urpmi and I am just beginning to discover some of the delights of Konqueror - a fitting name for this mighty peice of software! Good luck :drum:

Thanks for the spirit man!

arctic a special thanks to you who have always been here to help me since my arrival here!

This is what make this community so special, because this community is made up of special people!!!

As Ironfighter says, i should not give up! Thanks for the nice talk Ironfighter!

How can i use the md5 file to check my iso file??

(btw i'm still downloading kanotix) Then i will try it and i will keep my progress updated here!)

Regards,

wakish

Guest denverhoeve

Hey

I'm also VERRY new in the hole linux world

I still don't understand how i put my downloaded DVD on a DVD.

Normally i think that you need to put de data on the DVD like that but than i want to start up with the dvd but it won't start. It seems like i still don't get any bootable disk. How can i solve this???

Thanxs

If in Windows, search with google for an app called md5summer. If you have Linux, you can install md5deep, which will check the iso to make sure the md5 hash is correct. The .md5 file should just be a text file that holds the current md5 hash in it. If the two numbers match after using md5summer, or md5deep, then you have a good iso image, ready to burn with. If they do not match exactly, you need to download the iso again.

ISO's can be corrupted very easily when downloading. If there is a problem with the internet link. I've had it happen, although very rarely, and it can happen. Also, media can also be a problem once the image has been burnt, if you use cheap CD/DVD media. Trust me, I've had this also!!! :P

I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing so many problems, and it is a pain. I had a system that kept crashing all the time, and I couldn't figure out why. I knew the media was fine as I'd used it on other machines no problem. It turned out to be a memory problem for the PC in question, although Windows worked fine on it. Bizarre, yes. The BIOS was configured incorrectly, Linux didn't like it incorrect!

denverhoeve:

For burning iso images, you can normally open the iso with your favourite burning application. What is the contents of your current DVD that you tried to burn? If there is a .iso file on it, then the file has just been copied to the DVD rather than opened, and the contents of the iso being burnt to disk.