New to linux - how to install from scratch?

wakish

You could also try installing the eagle-usb with urpmi, then you won't need to worry about compiling. Here is what I found in the package list:

[ian@europa ~]$ urpmf --name eagle
eagleconnect:eagleconnect-2.3.2-7.3.20060mdk.i586.rpm
eagle-usb:eagle-usb-2.3.2-7.3.20060mdk.i586.rpm
eagle-usb:eagle-usb-2.3.2-6mdk.i586.rpm
eagleconnect:eagleconnect-2.3.2-6mdk.i586.rpm
libbeagle0:libbeagle0-0.0.12-5mdk.i586.rpm
beagle:beagle-0.0.12-5mdk.i586.rpm
libbeagle0-devel:libbeagle0-devel-0.0.12-5mdk.i586.rpm
beagle-epiphany:beagle-epiphany-0.0.12-5mdk.i586.rpm

I think you just need to "urpmi eagle-usb". If you wish to install kernel-source and compile, then you can use "urpmi kernel-source". It will then display a list, you just need kernel-source-2.6.12.12 if default kernel is installed. Check with "uname -r" and match to kernel-source.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks ianw1974, the urpmi kernel-source was perfect!

For the ADSL, I have tried the following with no result yet:

1) i have installed the lastest eagle-usb-2.3.2.tar.gz

installation was successful!

And in my icon lauch corner, the status of the little connection icon says : "Network is up on interface ppp0".

BUT when i click on that icon, it lauches the connection interface and when i click on "connect ADSL", it says connection failed!

2) Now i installs the EagleConnect.

Installation succesful:

after EagleConnet.tcl configured, it says re-lauch EagleConnect, i click on ./EagleConnect.tcl again, BUT now it ask for a password. What is this password???

It is not that of my ISP, nor my login passwords, so what is that?

UPDATED!!!!UPDATED!!!!UPDATED!!!!UPDATED!!!!UPDATED!!!!UPDATED!!!!UPDATED!!!!UPDATED!!!!UPDATED!!!!

yOHOOOOO!!!!!

Hey guys, i have bought a ROUTER/ETHERNET ADSL stuff....wow! i'm finally connecting to internet throught MANDRIVA 2006!!!!!!

If you know how long i have been struggling to connect to internet.

After loosing hope with usb adsls..i now have succeeded with router/ethernet adsl!

I would like to say a special thanks and regards to all the people here who have helped me alot lot!!! Thank you so much, you are wonderful people!

hey..hey...But that doesn't mean you should stop helping me now ;) since my adventure with linux has just STARTED :) !!!! :)

See you all around here...

i will be continuing to post any thing i get as i procede with mandriva..

-------------------------------------------

Btw i have a question:

i'm more used to using opera browser instead of mozilla...is it ok to install the opera with mandriva?

------------------------------------------

My sincere regards,

wakish

Edited by wakish

Btw any good anti-virus for linux?? for windows i know.. but for linux not really :(

i guess the firewall of my router and the mandriva firewall is enough? it is set to high..is it good?

Of course it is. For single machine, or for a machine which does not act as a fileserver for Windoze clients, the best antivirus is no antivirus at all! :P

In other cases, you can use clamav (free and quite decent), or several other commercial solutions.

If you are familiar with your router firewall and itsw settings, you can disable the Mandriva firewall completely. After all, 98% of the router firmwares out there is a Linux gateway/firewall and a mini webserver to control its functions, acessible via your browser.

Edited by scarecrow

An antivirus is actually only useful e.g if you want to avoid forwarding infected mails. Clamav/Klamav is one option, Antivir for Linux is another option.

I always run the built in firewall of my router and itables on my desktop machines. Never had any problems, for almost four years now.

Shorewall is a tool for configuring iptables, just like Firestarter or Guarddog. You can find more information on Shorewall here:

http://www.shorewall.net/shorewall_index.htm#WhatIs

The two firewalling options I know of are ipchains and iptables. These two links explain how iptables works:

http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/ipt...s-tutorial.html

http://www.linuxguruz.com/iptables/howto/iptables-HOWTO.html

And this one explains ipchains:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html

From what I heard, iptables is newer and better than ipchains, but I don't know if this is actually true. Fact is that both work well.

Here is some information on Firestarter and Guarddog:

http://www.simonzone.com/software/guarddog/#introduction

http://www.fs-security.com/

Happy reading. :D

Thanks arctic! :thumbs:

I have not yet finished reading all of them though ;) but will be done soon :P

question:

1) When i install a program/software, for e.g opera browser, where does the installation folder of opera get installed? ( for windows it's in program files..for linux?)

2) what is this:

Message from syslogd@localhost at Sat Feb 25 18:08:38 2006 ...
localhost kernel: CPU0: Temperature above threshold

Message from syslogd@localhost at Sat Feb 25 18:08:38 2006 ...
localhost kernel: CPU0: Running in modulated clock mode

Programs are installed by default in /usr, unless the packager decided otherwise when he made the rpm.

The temperature alarm is rather irritating. Check if your fans are running, maybe one of them died and you didn't notice. If not, check if you have ACPI enabled (go to MCC, boot-section (where you configure grub/lilo bootloaders). If not, click on the checkbox and reboot. ACPI is used for power management. If disabled or unproperly set up, it can cause the CPU to heat up.

Now monitor your system if you still get this error. Let's hope that it is only a minor issue and not a bug in your current kernel. In that case, go to the Advisories area of this forum and read on the latest two kernel updates messages and follow the instructions for updating your kernel. (I guess you run a 2.6. kernel and not a 2.4 kernel)

Check if your fans are running, maybe one of them died and you didn't notice.

It is working

If not, check if you have ACPI enabled (go to MCC, boot-section (where you configure grub/lilo bootloaders).

It was already enabled.

Btw how to ensure if it is properly configured?

Now monitor your system if you still get this error.

How??

(I guess you run a 2.6. kernel and not a 2.4 kernel)

yes i have kernel 2.6

i already got this warning 2times. Btw, it is very hot at my place and hence in my room. we are in summer, it is really hot. Is it because of this?? i noticed that my casing heated up quickly when it is hot in my room.

And when it's a bit cold it does not heat up quickly.

well, i will see this, and i will tell if anything is wrong.

Edited by wakish

There are several tool available for monitoring the system processors temperature. The most eye-candy like are some gdekslets and gKrellm. And monitoring also refers to checking /var/log/messages and /var/log/dmesg.

It is quite possible that the outside temperature is high and affecting the CPU. Clean the system, remove the dust and, if necessary, add some additional fans to it (they don't cost much) and don't expose the system to the sun. I have seen several servers failing due to overheating in a rather small and hot room in summer.

Edit: You should check if some process eats up your CPU, though. The more load, the higher the CPU temperature. Open a terminal and type "top". It will list all running processes and the cpu load of these processes. If you see something that eats a lot of your cpu, report back. Most processes can be killed easily with "kill <pid>" but not every process should be killed (otherwise, you might kill off your current session. :D).