New to linux - how to install from scratch?

wakish

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, you can download the md5 sum from the ftp mirror that you got the CD/DVD from, then depending on if using md5summer of md5deep, from the prompt type:

md5deep filename.iso (substitute filename with the real name of the CD/DVD iso)

or if md5summer, just open it, and it'll check the md5sum. Then check and compare the number that the app shows, with the one inside the md5 sum you downloaded. This is just a text file, so you can open with Notepad or Kwrite if in Linux.

ok, thanks ianw1974!

arctic, i tried the kanotix livecd as you suggested. It detects my usb adsl sagem 800. it ask for username and password too as you would expect, but when it i click to connect, then nothing really happens.

I don't understand whats the prob here? :(

(btw, is kanotix just a livecd version?? no hard disk install? i downloaded the full version one with 699Mb size.

but still it says it a livecd..)

Anyone's suggestions and help are always warmly welcomed ;)

Regards!

Edited by wakish

Kanotix can be used as a live cd or for installing a Debian Sarge system on your Harddisk. Both is possible.

Kantoix detected your Modem. If it does not work, there are only two options:

1. You made a mistake while you were configuring your modem (e.g. a typo somewhere)

2. Your network-provider blocks Linux networking (very unlikely)

Please explain step by step what you did in order to set up your network-connection.

A side note: It took me forever to connect to the net with Linux when I started using it. The problem I had was a small typo. It took me forever to find out that i had put a useless "." right behind the "@" in my pap-secrets file... the second frustration I had was a broken cable. That one took me two weeks to find out, so check your cables and check your settings thoroughly.

arctic,

1) about the typo, i checked many times. So, i can assure that no typos.

2) I don't really know if my network blocks Linux, but i don't think so because i know that people use Linux on internet with my provider.

3) My cable cannot be "broken", because i am using it just right now to connect to the internet with windows.

--------------------------

Now about the step-by-step "what i did" :

Well, i thought kanotix detected my adsl..but i not sure, after trying all the possibilities:

I analysed all the places in kanotix and i saw thses possibiltities to configure my adsl:

1) K-menu > kanotix > Network/internet > DSL

2) K-menu > Internet > Connect > ADSL/PPPoE configuration

3) K-menu > Internet > Knet

--------------------------

Now in details:

1) K-menu > kanotix > Network/internet > DSL

Here i got 3possibilites:

i) Eagle PPPoE configuration

ii) Fritz! Card DSL PPPoE Configuration

iii) My PPPoE Configuration

I eliminated the (ii) choice, because Fritz is not my adsl USB

SO, i tried with (i) & (iii). Here is the what i got:

a) With (i) It asks for PPPoE provider. By default there was "eagle" written. I let it like this and it ask for my login name & password as given by my ISP provider. BUt when i click connect adsl, then nothing really happens.

Now i tried with "telecomplus" as the PPPoE provider - since "telecomplus" is my ISP. But here too nothing happens.

b ) With the (iii) choice, i get a small pop window saying: ADSL config as header & the following message==>

Error: no Access-Concentration found

2) K-menu > Internet > Connect > ADSL/PPPoE configuration

Here it pops up a shell, then a small window which says:

'i found 2 ethernet devices: eth0 eth1

Are all your ethernet interface listed above?

(If No, modconf will be started so you can load the card drivers manually)

a) when i click on "Yes", it keeps on looking for 'PPPoE Access Concentration on each device..

Meanwhile the shell, displays==> Timeout waiting for PADO Packets

Then the window says==>

"Sorry i scanned 2 interfaces, but the Access Concentration of your provider did not respond. Please check your network & modem cables. Another reason for the scan failure may also be another pppoe process which controls the modem."

b ) when i click on "No", it keeps on saying infinetly ==>

"/usr/sbin/pppoeconf: line 177 : modconf : command not found"

3) K-menu > Internet > Knet

Here, i see DSL setup among other setup like Dial-up, scripts, Network card..etc..

When i click on DSL setup, the window disappears and another small window pops with the header: "Knet - The KDE crash Handler"

The message in it was:

Short description (1st title)

The application knet crashed and casued the signal 11 ( SIGSEGV )

What is this? (2nd title)

An application mostly receives the SIGSEGV signal due to a bug in the application.

Then i get a 3rd title which says i can report this bug. then i say No.

These were all that i did!

Edited by wakish

Okay this is getting nasty and dirty, as we need to do some serious troubleshooting and I think you won't understand some things, but don't be afraid... reading the following won't hurt. PS: I am not a Linux-guru nor a computer-geek, so this is only a try. I can't asure you that it will fix your problem. :)

I got stuck at the PADO message. PADO timeouts usually occur when you don't get a ping back from the service provider. Linux systems need this ping, Windows system don't need it necessarily for connecting to the net and thus will not get stuck as Linux but work nonetheless.

First, check if your ppp0 interface is up and running. Open a terminal and log in as root. Now run

/sbin/ifconfig

There should be displayed something similar to this.

ppp0	  Protokoll:Peer-to-Peer Conenction
	  inet Adress:80.135.157.219  P-z-P:217.5.98.69 Maske:255.255.255.255
	  UP PEERTOPEER RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1492  Metric:1
	  RX packets:1379164 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
	  TX packets:571540 errors:0 dropped:27 overruns:0 carrier:0
	  Collisions:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:3
	  RX bytes:229300574 (218.6 MiB)  TX bytes:48966218 (46.6 MiB)

Now check if all necessary daemons are running?

Run in the terminal again

ps xa|grep ppp

Something like this should be displayed

22419 ?		S	  0:00 pppd call dsl-provider
17137 ?		S	  1:19 pppoe -I eth1

I assume that all your ADSL-Modem lights (LEDs) show a normal status.

Now run, still as root

pppoe -I eth1 -A

The cable connectionbetween the Modem and the splitter to the access-concentrator should run now.

Access-Concentrator: BOCX11-erx
Got a cookie: 2b 88 2b 40 84 f4 52 82 ad 1a bc 43 cd ed ec ff
--------------------------------------------------
AC-Ethernet-Address: 00:90:1a:10:11:de

You can check with

pppoe -T20 -I eth1 -D pppoe.log > /dev/null

if you get a response. You should see something like this in the pppoe.log.

rp-pppoe-3.3
08:56:51.900 SENT PPPoE Discovery (8863) PADI sess-id 0 length 4
SourceAddr 00:80:ad:30:9e:c5 DestAddr ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff 
01 01 00 00

08:56:51.955 RCVD PPPoE Discovery (8863) PADO sess-id 0 length 38
SourceAddr 00:90:1a:10:11:de DestAddr 00:80:ad:30:9e:c5
01 02 00 0a 42 4f 43 58 31 31 2d 65 72 78 01 01
00 00 01 04 00 10 2b 88 2b 40 84 f4 52 82 ad 1a
bc 43 cd ed ec ff

08:56:51.955 SENT PPPoE Discovery (8863) PADR sess-id 0 length 24
SourceAddr 00:80:ad:30:9e:c5 DestAddr 00:90:1a:10:11:de
01 01 00 00 01 04 00 10 2b 88 2b 40 84 f4 52 82
ad 1a bc 43 cd ed ec ff

If your modem lights do not show that everything is okay, there is a misconfiguration on your IPS side. If you don't get a ping back from your ISP in Linux, you should also contact the ISP and ask for a port reset at their site in order to get a sucessful ping and not PADO timeouts. It really seems that the problem is on your ISPs side.

Bffffff....... This was a hard piece of work. Maybe it will get us anywhere... :thumbs:

arctic ok, here is what i get!

Btw, i have tried with both kanotix and mandriva. I get 2different results respectively, but still no connection!

Note by: My ADSL-Modem lights (LEDs) are ON always with both!

Now the results:

With Kanotix:

1) /sbin/ifconfig

lo	 	Link encap:Local Loopback		 	inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0		  UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436		  Metric:1	   				
RX packets:26 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0		  
TX packets:26 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0		  
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0		  
RX bytes:2236 (2.1 KiB)  
TX bytes:2236 (2.1 KiB)

2) ps xa|grep ppp

4816 pts/0	R+	 0:00 grep ppp

3) pppoe -I eth1 -A

and

4) pppoe -T20 -I eth1 -D pppoe.log > /dev/null

same result:

pppoe: Timeout waiting for PADO packets

---------------------------------------------------------------

With Mandriva:

(the results are really different from yours! See well ;)

1) /sbin/ifconfig

ppp0	  Link encap: Point-to-Point Protocol Conenction
	  inet Addr: s.t.x.y  P-t-P: s.t.x.u 
Maske:255.255.255.255
	  UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1492  Metric:1
	  RX packets:3 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
	  TX packets:3 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
	  Collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
	  RX bytes:54 (54.0b)  TX bytes:54 (54.0b)

Then i also got some similar thind with lo & eth instead of the ppp0

2) ps xa|grep ppp

11002 ?		R	  0:00 pppoa -I eth1
11063 ?		Ss	 0:00 pppd lock modem crtscts asyncmap 00000000 default route usepeerdns updetach ipparam pppo linkname pppo call pppo noauth
11209 pts/0	R+ 0:00 grep ppp

3) pppoe -I eth1 -A

Not found

That's all what i got till now!

i have mess something up i think :(

In command shells, when i first install the distro, it used to have:

[username@localhost] - i think something like this..

But after i tried to "play" with the LAN configuration, now i get something like:

[userame@x.y.a.b]

where the x.y.a.b is the IP address of my host which i inserted on the LAN configuration.

So how can undo all these things and get back to localhost?

Kanotix can be used as a live cd or for installing a Debian Sarge system on your Harddisk.

You obviously mean Debian Sid (with i586 optimized kernel, and also some packages as well).

@ wakish

The sagem USB modems require a special dialer ( eaglepppoeconf ) which is available at Kanotix, pppoe won't work (I guess this is the price to pay when you pick some USB thing over gorgeous ethernet devices...). It seems you didn't visit the Kanotix forum yet, right?

You can start here alithough are also quite a few other related threads there. In any case you can ask Georg / Kano, he's always willing to help (provided that you don't ask a thing that was asked and answered one dozen times before, of course...).

The driver needed is included in the package "eagle-usb", here's generic configuration information:

http://dev.eagle-usb.org/wakka.php?wiki=DocDebian

(it's in French, which I don't understand well- I guess this is another price to pay when buying a French modem).

Edited by scarecrow

Kanotix can be used as a live cd or for installing a Debian Sarge system on your Harddisk.

You obviously mean Debian Sid (with i586 optimized kernel, and also some packages as well).

Uh.. oh... yes.... sorry, my fault. I guess I need more sleep. :D

Thanks scarecrow!!

I'm trying these methods! (btw, i understand french too ;) )

But when i do the ./configure, it says "Error: kernel-source not found!"

How can i install the kernel source??

if anyone can help rit now, thats would be nice..

Regards!

Edited by wakish

I do not have a Kanotix handy now (although I believe it's hands down the best Linux liveCD, IF you intend to install it to harddisk). As far as I can understand, you can skip the compilation part, as kano has already built the driver for Kanotix. I suggest going like that (the only problem is that for running the following commands you will need internet access, which ain't too trivial without a working modem!) :P

(as root):

apt-get update

apt-get install synaptic

Synaptic is a graphical frontend for dpkg/apt, Debian's package manager... aftre installing it, again as root:

synaptic

and query there for "eagle". Install whatever packages aren't installed, and then follow the tutorial AFTER the driver building steps.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but i never had any Sagem modem (or USB modem in general), nor I intend to use one in the future...

For the "kernel-source not found" error message, you just need to install the kernel-source .deb package that matches your kernel (no surprise you will still need internet access...). In short, you will probably need to borrow some ethernet modem from a friend for half a day, to get your job done, or try getting the missing pieces via dialup, which can be painful and time consuming...

Edited by spinynorman